[ADwD Spoilers] Hizdahr?

theladyinspring

• 6 months later...

I don't think Hizdahr is guilty at all, even by association. He has consistently shown to be true to his word and never acted in even a remotely suspect way.

My money is on the Shavepate; he displays a nasty bloodlust streak even in his first few appearances, and he has set him up in a perfect position to turn Meereen against Daenerys. I don't think he is at all loyal to Daenerys, but rather capitalizing on her fears.

I really hope Hizdar is guilty because that would be bad for Ser Barristan. I loved his "knights of the round table" coucil. That was awesome! Would be a bit undermined though if Hizdar was innocent... and on my re-read i'm pretty sure when Ser Barristan confronts him he eventually goes evil at Ser Barristan when he realises he's fucked... that sealed it for me... also (really sorry about fuzzy brain memory) but didn't Dany ask him if he was the Harpy... and he said "no".. then she asked if he would tell her if he was... and he said "no"... which to me was an instant "off with his head" moment! But Dany persisted and did the right thing by Mereen - she married an re-opened the fighting pits.. and what did it get her?

a sickening feeling that she was beaten... slavery back in action... the pits re-opened... her Dragon nearly killed at the order of her own husband.... nearly poisoned....

the only benefits are, that she can now burn the free cities to hell - and noone can say she didn't try to do it peacefully first... she has a better idea of who her friends / enemies are.... she knows Ser Barristan would gladly throw himself into a Dragons mouth to save her... she also saved one of her supposed enemies who may yet turn out to be her greatest ally (Tyrion) and she is now the first official dragon-rider since Aegon the Conqueror...

If Hizdar is innocent i will feel like that is all just a pointless learning process for her... and will undermine Ser Barristan way too much for my liking! :)

There is Hizdahr. And there is Skahaz. Both are douches. Skahaz seems even more so than Hizdahr yet I got impression he is much more trustworthy and that impression just grew with each Dany chapter. And Hizdahr - guys just reeks with guilt.

Yeah this time GRRM might be tricking us by making the obvious conclusion actually the right one.

And I can't think of one character I would like to see dead more than Hizdahr guilty or innocent.

What annoys me is that when Viserion and Rhaegal freak out during the battle and start wrecking everything in sight (and they will), cool characters like Barristan and Grey Worm will die, and Hizdahr will survive locked in some stone room in the palace.

(but I hope GrrM lets one or two of the likeable good guy characters live for once, and kills off the treacherous one...)

Yeah this time GRRM might be tricking us by making the obvious conclusion actually the right one.

And I can't think of one character I would like to see dead more than Hizdahr guilty or innocent.

What annoys me is that when Viserion and Rhaegal freak out during the battle and start wrecking everything in sight (and they will), cool characters like Barristan and Grey Worm will die, and Hizdahr will survive locked in some stone room in the palace.

(but I hope GrrM lets one or two of the likeable good guy characters live for once, and kills off the treacherous one...)

Don´t worry; GRRM will have Dany kill all the treacherous advisors when she comes back, to show how she has become more ruthless (but I think she will still trust and take with her at least a traitor who will backstab her, and execute (by mistake) a at least a loyal follower, so she can later angst over it).

I don't think Hizdahr is guilty at all, even by association. He has consistently shown to be true to his word and never acted in even a remotely suspect way.

My money is on the Shavepate; he displays a nasty bloodlust streak even in his first few appearances, and he has set him up in a perfect position to turn Meereen against Daenerys. I don't think he is at all loyal to Daenerys, but rather capitalizing on her fears.

He said to Barristan that Kandaq had waited for a long time for that moment. Skahaz probably came from a minor noble house in Meereen, and is looking to rebuild the Meereenese aristocracy around him with the Kandaqs being the dominant house in Meereen. I think he may even have been the one who had the locusts poisoned at the fighting pits. If Dany and Hizdahr had both eaten them and died from eating them, Skahaz could have claimed that the Yunkai'i poisoned them, and had Meereen with Dany's army attack the Yunkish forces camped outside Meereen. He would have made himself the de facto ruler of Meereen.

• 7 months later...

Hizdahr, Reznak and the GG appear to be no more than they present. Reznak I don't doubt is clean as he most profusely argued against Dany leaving with the Qartheen ships, which was very likely a plan hatched between Qarth and the Harpy, and still even if it wasn't the plan served to achieve exactly what the Harpy wants, Dany gone, yet Reznak wanted none of it. Perhaps the Harpy holds something over Hizdahr, and it's expected of him to restore the slave trade or else, I doubt it though, he seemed completely sincere when speaking about his frustrations with Meereen being held back with outdated processes and traditions by the Slaver Houses, whilst still Meereneese he comes off as a genuine reformer. The GG's prime motivation appears to be peace, at any cost, and the continuation of Meereneese culture as a secondary. I don't think she wants any blood on her hands and wouldn't kill anyone.

If the Harpy is not just a collection of the slaver houses then I think it'll be the Shavepate, he just wants slaver blood, and may have sacrificed Dany's and his own men to bring it about. Definitely think he's the poisoner, the peace served no purpose of his.

Hizdahr definitely knows more than he is leading Barristan to believe, but he is a weak man and was very intimidated by Barristan (especially after seeing him in combat) so there may be some truth in what he said.

Either way, if he was lying or not. I think Barristan should let Shakaz extract the truth from him in the ways he knows best. I know Barristan's honor will get in the way of this decision though.

my first post here. I waited until I finished the books before registering. Great site and forum!

Welcome to the forum! :cheers:

I don't care for Mereen, Yunkai or Astapor. It adds absolutely nothing to the main plot, it just make Daenerys seem more and more stupid with all that "my people" thing. That is not her people, her people is a million miles away and she is ignoring them by caring for cities and civilizations which have nothing to do with her.

Snip...

Anyway.... I think Hidzahr is well aware of the poisoned locusts and he is not only a puppet, he is deeper in this thing of the Harpy.

Dude I understand being frustrated with this arc but saying it add nothing to the plot is going too far. It seems to me both her and Jon are being groomed for leadership. This is like practice to become the queen of westeros... ruling with the training wheels on if you will (or if you won't lol). She gets to make some stupid decisions and experience the consequences of said decisions that in the end won't make any difference beyond lessons learned when she (hopefully) does go to Westeros.

He seems so obviously guilty, I'm convinced that he actually has to be innocent.

LOL yeah my thoughts as well, tho offering the locusts without eating as mentioned up thread... he knows something. but if he was the harpy it wouldn't sound like a GRRM tale.

Now that sounds like GRRM LOL! The revelation will probably blow our minds, but if it mirrors other revelations maybe we won't find out who the Harpy is for like 3 books, when we no longer care LOL.

• 2 weeks later...

Hizdahr is the Green Grace's stooge. The Green Grace is "the" Harpy.

http://asoiaf.wester...e-is-the-harpy/

Read through your thread, good points. Hizdahr seemed too inept to be the harpy... He did talk about Dany in the past tense when Barristan confronted him but that doesn't necessarily mean he tried to kill her. I never really considered the GG but the more I'm reading the more it makes sense.

Hizdahr's statements trying to get Dany to try the locusts may, imo, be a red herring and he merely wanted Dany to try the "very tasty" treats before Belwas ate them all. LOL

Remember, Belwas seized the opportunity to eat them first, "by the handful." It was only after Belwas began to devour them that Hizdahr noted how tasty they were. Never did Hizdahr urge her to eat them again. Could a majority of the food been poisoned? Martin puts a lot of emphasis on the word, "locust," towards end of the book. Hizdahr never mentions them again. Only Belwas continues on about them, and Dany thinks about the people eating them while calling her, "Mother," in many tongues. Martin never mentions Dany eating anything, but Belwas finishes the locusts and "swigs" the wine. She does ask for some sweetwater that was already in the viewing box, but Martin doesn't mention her trying it. Maybe, that didn't need mentioning, however, no more was said of any consumption after that.

I think Hizdahr is purely a opportunist. I think someone else is behind the Sons of the Harpy (time to read Apple Martini's thread), someone who was there to hear Dany's proposal to Hizdahr and peace. It was an easy way to implicate Hizdahr without putting a knife in his hand.

Read through your thread, good points. Hizdahr seemed too inept to be the harpy... He did talk about Dany in the past tense when Barristan confronted him but that doesn't necessarily mean he tried to kill her. I never really considered the GG but the more I'm reading the more it makes sense.

He talked about her in the past tense because just about everyone thought she was probably dead.

Archived