Supernatural

Lord of the Night

Well, curiosity got the best of me last night and seeing as how the show is still filling up my DVR I decided to see what I'd missed over the past couple of months.

Hmmm, Bobby not dead and still leading the brothers around by the nose because they couldn't figure their ways out of a paper bag. Okay, that sounds like the drivers seat to me. Or actually, that isn't even passenger's seat, that's being towed by another vehicle. I loved the five minutes of Bobby Exposition where he explains EVERYTHING since the brothers were too dumb to figure it out over the last few months. And then once you hear the Leviathan plan, and realize how stupid this whole season is and how poorly plotted, and how...AH FUCK IT, there is no point going into all the nonsense, it's there for everyone to see. Then there's this lame ass girl guest star who shows up and takes over the whole show and does everything. Awesome job Winchesters! They did do a nice action role through some windows at the end to save her, but they had no weapons, and then Bobby did the fighting. Driver's seat! Oh and then Ruby or Meg or whatever it is shows up and kills some angels.

Yep, all in all, things seems to be getting better in Supernatural land. Of course I watched the middle parts of these on heavy fast forward considering how boring, dull, and uninspired they were, so maybe I missed something subtle that the Winchesters did that was really cool. I'm guessing not.

Man, this driver's seat analogy is so great because Dean used to get pissed if anyone else drove his car but him. But ever since the angels showed up, especially in season 5, he hasn't made much of a fuss about it. He's been on autopilot.

8th season huh? Oh well, I guess I called in the favor after the fact, so little good that did. This show is like Smallville. My brother watched that for like ten years. Didn't make it any good. Maybe early on, but pretty soon the bad seasons are going to far outnumber the good.

Ok for starters Bobby is not guiding them around by the nose. He has been helping them with things they could never have figured out on their own. Finding the guy who knew Cas as a healer, he was a sporadic contact of Bobby's so the boys would not have known him. Finding the right notes on the Amazons, monsters they've never seen before and didn't even know existed. Giving Dean the katana to fight the Shojo, it would have mauled him if he tried to leap for it. Bobby has only helped them when its vitally important, or when they'd die if he didn't.

Meg killing the Angels is the only way it could have happened. As a Demon she can react fast enough to do it, if Sam or Dean had tried to do it the Angel would have seen it coming and stopped them. Fact is like the Angel in 6.03 said "You think you can knife fight an Angel?" He is right, you can't. If your human. A Demon can do it if they have the right weapon but as we've seen many times, Angels and Demons are leagues faster than humans and that Angel would have easily stopped Sam and Dean if they'd gone for the knife.

More Leviathan hate, despite the fact that their plan is a good one because its not about wiping us out, its about ruling us. They want Earth, and us as a food source. That is more terrifying than the Apocalypse or the war in heaven or hell because it wouldn't end with death, we'd be slaves to them and too dumbed to even realise it.

Dean has grown a lot over the seasons. The fact that he lets Sam drive the Impala is an example of how much he trusts Sam and that he is giving him room to grow up, to graduate from being the little brother and into a relationship of equals. He wants Sam to know that he trusts him with the most precious item in the world to him.

If you don't like the show. Don't. Watch. It. And quit complaining about it to those who actually do want to watch it. And I think you'd find legions of people who'd argue that Smallville is fantastic, i've never watched it so i'm not one of them, but they are out there. That is my advice to you. If you don't like these shows, don't watch them and quit complaining about them to people who do.

LotN

If you don't like the show. Don't. Watch. It. And quit complaining about it to those who actually do want to watch it. And I think you'd find legions of people who'd argue that Smallville is fantastic, i've never watched it so i'm not one of them, but they are out there. That is my advice to you. If you don't like these shows, don't watch them and quit complaining about them to people who do.

I think most fans will have a gripe here or there, maybe a handful, but it baffles me why people hate a show, watch it, then run to the board to remind everyone how much they hate it.

I loathe anime. I think it's utter tripe. I'd rather have Fran Drescher read the Twilight Series to me over and over than watch a moment of anime. But, I don't watch it on purpose just to stoke my hatred and THEN rush to the board to whine some more to all the anime fans. Good grief. Buzzkill anyone?

Umm, because we were here long before you guys reporting to the board how much we love this show? Get a clue and pay attention to the thread, most of us "gripers" are ex-fans who are appalled at what happened to our favorite show. Thursday nights used to be my favorites because of Supernatural, now it's all just pure shit.

So we can "run" to any board we want and report on what shit our favorite show has fallen into. That's our right as fans. If all you can do is blindly defend crap, then I think you should go find another board where people only think like you. You can't even have an intelligent conversation without getting your feelings hurt.

That's addressed to the both of yous.

Oh my god, I love Kevin Tran!

I do too. He was fun.

The last episode wasn't too bad. I'm glad the main plot is actually moving, but it there like one more episode to go? Are the Leviathans going to be defeated this season or will it roll over the next? With the show returning with a new season, I'm curious to see who the big bads will be.

Umm, because we were here long before you guys reporting to the board how much we love this show? Get a clue and pay attention to the thread, most of us "gripers" are ex-fans who are appalled at what happened to our favorite show. Thursday nights used to be my favorites because of Supernatural, now it's all just pure shit.

So we can "run" to any board we want and report on what shit our favorite show has fallen into. That's our right as fans. If all you can do is blindly defend crap, then I think you should go find another board where people only think like you. You can't even have an intelligent conversation without getting your feelings hurt.

That's addressed to the both of yous.

Nobody said you didn't have a right to post. Your opinion is valid. Nobody said otherwise. But, if you're going to put yourself out there by dropping the debbie downer shit every effin' week, well, don't be surprised if people get irritated.

Nobody's gonna to apologize FOR the show here.

Gripe away. But don't have a fit when people roll their eyes and say, "here we go again."

I do too. He was fun.

The last episode wasn't too bad. I'm glad the main plot is actually moving, but it there like one more episode to go? Are the Leviathans going to be defeated this season or will it roll over the next? With the show returning with a new season, I'm curious to see who the big bads will be.

Actually this season has had an extra episode confirmed. So there are two more episodes left in season 7, and they confirmed months ago that season 7 will end on a cliffhangar so I think the Leviathans will carry on into next season. Hopefully they'll be more linked to the overall story.

LotN

My wife and I just started the 6th season a few days ago and it's clearly lacking the punch it used to have. Seems like the creator/writers had a superb 5-season plan (which they executed very well) and never expected the show to go beyond that because this season so far just... I dunno. It isn't quite the same. Just seems to be going through the motions.

My wife and I just started the 6th season a few days ago and it's clearly lacking the punch it used to have. Seems like the creator/writers had a superb 5-season plan (which they executed very well) and never expected the show to go beyond that because this season so far just... I dunno. It isn't quite the same. Just seems to be going through the motions.

You are right in that Seasons 1-5 were an entire story that Kripke conceived, but he didn't expect it to go beyond that. Season 6 and 7 start a new story that I think is a bit like Seasons 1 and 2, introducing the start of a new arc. But Season 6 and 7 both have fantastic episodes, plot and character development and some extremely unexpected surprises. I think the real difference between 1-5 and 6 and 7 is that the first five seasons were linked together completely, whereas the new seasons aren't linked as much. But the 8th season will hopefully introduce the key parts of the arc that will link them all together.

LotN

The last episode we watched was Weekend at Bobby's which was pretty good. I really like Crowley and think he'll make an excellent villain this season.

The first couple episodes of the season just felt awkward, though. I don't like Lisa or that ministoryline (I understand it, just not a fan of it) and it's too obvious that Samuel isn't quite Grandpa.

I'm going to keep watching, though, because it's still fun. Needs more Castiel, though.

The last episode we watched was Weekend at Bobby's which was pretty good. I really like Crowley and think he'll make an excellent villain this season.

The first couple episodes of the season just felt awkward, though. I don't like Lisa or that ministoryline (I understand it, just not a fan of it) and it's too obvious that Samuel isn't quite Grandpa.

I'm going to keep watching, though, because it's still fun. Needs more Castiel, though.

Crowley is a fantastic character, who does get some more appearances later on.

The Lisa storyline is mainly about Dean imo. About him realising that hunting is for life and that as sad as it may be, its not a life that permits romantic relationships, with some extremely rare exceptions like Samuel and Deanna.

You'll get more of him, Cas gets a big storyline in the 6th season and the 7th.

LotN

Don't mean to sound nasty, but this kind of media witch hunt always makes me cringe on the inside. There is a line between a show/world created by writers/developers and purposely pulling yourself outside of that world for the sole purpose of finding gender-related atrocities. Maybe it's the fact that having watched the whole series, the idea that Dean is a sinister rapist hell-bent on beating the dames makes me laugh (literally) out loud.

You don't sound nasty; you sound defensive. Although I'm pleased you think that my comments on westeros.org are part of a "media witch hunt." Would that I had the power to conduct such a hunt...it'd do wonders for my book sales.

One of the best episodes of the entire series. This is one I could rewatch over and over again. And I also agree with you about Lisa. I think they tried too hard to add some feminine stuff and failed miserably. The thing is, from the demographics I've read, the majority of Supernatural's audience are comprised of women and most of them were equally as turned off my Lisa and her kid. It was just a bad fit. Period.

One of the best episodes of the entire series. This is one I could rewatch over and over again. And I also agree with you about Lisa. I think they tried too hard to add some feminine stuff and failed miserably. The thing is, from the demographics I've read, the majority of Supernatural's audience are comprised of women and most of them were equally as turned off my Lisa and her kid. It was just a bad fit. Period.

I always viewed it as a lame plot device, so that Dean could have a 'real life' after Sam went to hell. But they just grabbed some random woman out of nowhere who we'd never heard of before and who was pretty boring. Okay, so they had to kill Jo for the drama-factor and because she was a hunter so Dean couldn't have a 'real life' with her. Why not use Cassie, Dean's first love from the episode Route 666? She had spunk. I would have been way more happy with that scenario.

But they just grabbed some random woman out of nowhere who we'd never heard of before and who was pretty boring.

We had heard of her before, though. She was in an episode in the first or second season about body snatchers or something stealing little kids. Lisa was someone Dean had gotten sort of hot and heavy with in his younger days before moving on. The episode was humorous* because the kid was acting just like him and he was freaking out, thinking it was his.

And at the end of the 5th season he shows up to her house after he decided to say "yes" to Michael to tell her something like, "whenever I think of the life I could have had or wanted, it's always with you."

So it's not necessarily out of nowhere. I think the problem was that it was too contrived. Dean may have dreamt about a normal life with her and the kid, but it's just not him. At all. I don't see how he could have lasted an entire year without getting out there hunting every once in a while. That was the main part that didn't work for me. How can a guy who had been born and raised to be a hunter just decide to quit cold turkey and manage to ignore the fact that terrible things were still happening out there?

*eta- I don't know if you need to be invested in the show and the characters for the humor to work, but when they want to, this can be one of the funniest shows on television.

You're right, I forgot about that. Perhaps I just didn't buy it when Dean said he'd been imagining a life with her.

Because she had the personality of a piece of cardboard.

And I agree about the humor being the best on television. When it's on, it's beyond clever. I want to know who writes that shit so I can send them a present or something.

And I agree about the humor being the best on television. When it's on, it's beyond clever. I want to know who writes that shit so I can send them a present or something.

One of my favourite parts of the humour is that both Sam and Dean both have a wider knowledge of pop culture than you'd expect. Sam has read Harry Potter, Dean knows who Megatron is and both of them have seen Star Wars. Its often hilarious because the other brother tends to not get it or think its stupid. Dean's face when Sam tells Charlie Bradbury details from Harry Potter is priceless, and Sam thinking Metatron was Megatron and Dean correcting him is brilliant.

LotN

Archived