Does John Connington know about Rheagar and Lyanna?

Lord Damian

Well, I have written about Barristan's potential knowledge about the two said persons. Others have speculated that Jon Snow was named after Jon Connington. Good guess but if Ned had a bastard son, why name him Jon, not Rickard or Brandon? When did Jon Connington see Rheagar last and did he know the truth about Lyanna's abduction?

The abduction/elopement happened before the Battle of the Bells, of course, so Connington would have been in Westeros when it happened. He would have known about it, and his knowledge would be from Rhaegar-friendly sources. There is no reason to think he knew about Lyanna's pregnancy.

By naming her son "Jon", Lyanna made it easy for Ned to claim he was his own bastard, named in honor of Jon Arryn. In fact, I bet his real name as given by Lyanna is Jonaerys (the first of his name).

Well, I have written about Barristan's potential knowledge about the two said persons. Others have speculated that Jon Snow was named after Jon Connington. Good guess but if Ned had a bastard son, why name him Jon, not Rickard or Brandon? When did Jon Connington see Rheagar last and did he know the truth about Lyanna's abduction?

Didn't GRRM said somewhere in an interview that Ned named Jon? The most logical explanation would be that he named Jon after the man he considered his "second father" Jon Arryn. Naming his bastard son after his own father or brother could be seen as an affront by Catelyn.

Sorry, pushed the Send too fast.

Never thought about it but it is possible that Rhaegar told Jon Connington more about Lyanna.

That implicates that Connington could also be a source for more information about what really happened between Rhaegar and Lyanna - and about if there is truth in R+L=J.

I don't know.

The first thought is because he was in part of Rhaegars group, he might know.

But, then again, it's possible that maybe he didn't and for a good reason.

He couldn't be trusted with that kind of information because he was in love with Rhaegar, though Rhaegar didn't return those feelings.

He didn't like Elia, and Rhaegar didn't even love her.

He couldn't find it in him to like her, though she was apparently a very nice person.

Imagine his reaction to the woman Rhaegar actually loved.

While I'm sure he was aware of events, I think it would be more on the barest details.

I think this is a question that should've occurred to us all before. I suspect he did not know but with his close relationship too Rheagar it is possible (not probable) he knew. The problem is with him off fighting and then being exiled how would he get word and who if anyone would Rheagar trust to carry such a message. Is it possible JC saw Rheagar after the birth but before being exiled. I am not sure about the timeline but it seems more likely that he would only be in on (if anything) that Lyanna was preggers.

If Lemore turns out to be Ashara Dayne, then I think she might know and like Howland Reed, just kept it secret. Jon Connington obviously knows Rhaegar ran off with Lyanna, but I don't think he knows about Jon. The Daynes on the other hand appear to have supplied Wylla the wetnurse to the Tower of Joy. I think they may also know more than they are telling.

I don't think Jon Connington knew the full extent of Rhaegar's and Lyanna's relationship. I think Rhaegar trusted only Arthur Dayne, his oldest and closest friend, with that information, especially since the Kingsguard are sworn not to reveal secrets.

The abduction/elopement happened before the Battle of the Bells, of course, so Connington would have been in Westeros when it happened. He would have known about it, and his knowledge would be from Rhaegar-friendly sources. There is no reason to think he knew about Lyanna's pregnancy.

By naming her son "Jon", Lyanna made it easy for Ned to claim he was his own bastard, named in honor of Jon Arryn. In fact, I bet his real name as given by Lyanna is Jonaerys (the first of his name).

The first time I heard the R+L=J theory, I assumed that Jon would be named after Jon Connington rather than Jon Arryn. It depends how much Rhaegar knew. Did he know that he had got her pregnant? And was he in her company long enough to suggest a name? If so, then he would certainly have told his best friend.

I think that Jon Connington knew about the marriage between Lyanna and Rhaegar if that occurred; he probably witnessed it and will be able to verify that Jon is legitimate. However, I don't think that he knew that Lyanna was pregnant. Otherwise, I think that Varys would have put two and two together concerning Ned Stark's bastard. Nothing suggests that Varys knows.

One wildcard is the Ashara Dayne = Septa Lemore idea. Ashara Dayne if still alive is probably one of the few people who would know about the Tower of Joy. There is a plausible theory that she is the one who told Ned about the Tower. If she did know and was with Connington, I'm not sure why she would keep Jon's identity secret.

I was always inclined to think no, but when I reread 'The Lost Lord' right now, his introduction of Aegon 'as firstborn son of Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone, by Princess of Elia of Dorne' might indicate at least the possibility that Rhaegar Targaryen might have had a second-born son by another woman.

It might be a very small hint, but it is more than nothing.

If Barristan knew that Elia could not give birth to another child after Aegon, Jon would have known as well. And he would also have known that Rhaegar desperately wanted to father another child...

I was always inclined to think no, but when I reread 'The Lost Lord' right now, his introduction of Aegon 'as firstborn son of Rhaegar, Prince of Dragonstone, by Princess of Elia of Dorne' might indicate at least the possibility that Rhaegar Targaryen might have had a second-born son by another woman.

If Barristan knew that Elia could not give birth to another child after Aegon, Jon would have known as well. And he would also have known that Rhaegar desperately wanted to father another child...

Yes, and I am sure Rheagar discussed with his inner cirlcle his beliefs in prophecy which would have included a 3 headed dragon, therefore it is certainly reasonable that he was known atleast by a few that he was searching for another wife/woman to give birth to the 3rd.

I don't disagree with that distinction, but it could also be a matter of speaking formally, emphasizing that Aegon is a firstborn royal, therefore Heir.

The first time I heard the R+L=J theory, I assumed that Jon would be named after Jon Connington rather than Jon Arryn. It depends how much Rhaegar knew. Did he know that he had got her pregnant? And was he in her company long enough to suggest a name? If so, then he would certainly have told his best friend.

There's an SSM somewhere where Martin says that Ned's the one who probably would have named Jon. I think prevailing wisdom suggests that Robb is named for Robert Baratheon and Jon is named for Jon Arryn.

I also have to nitpick on the "best friend" thing. Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend. Connington loved Rhaegar and while I'm sure there was some affection there, I get the strong impression that it was one-sided and that Rhaegar meant far, far more to Connington than Connington meant to Rhaegar. In that case, it makes Connington's story that much sadder: He's working to put a pretender on the throne, thinking he's doing right by the guy he loved, when the kid's a fake and his love and affection were mostly unrequited.

I don't disagree with that distinction, but it could also be a matter of speaking formally, emphasizing that Aegon is a firstborn royal, therefore Heir.

That's how I took it.

:rofl:

Archived