septa lemore is ashara dayne.

Aurane Lannister

The question I have about Ashara Dayne is when was she ever pregnant/ had a child? Tyrion saw strechmarks on Lemore when she was swimming.

According to Barristan, Ashara became pregnant sometime around the time of the Harrenhal tourney, and later gave birth to a stillborn girl.

It would be interesting tho if Lemore was Serra but also was Tyene's mother. That would make Tyene and Aegon half siblings.

I think this is unlikely. Tyrion actually knows what Serra used to look like from the picture that Illryio showed to him, so you'd think he would have at least noticed a resemblance once he met Lemore. The fact that he didn't says to me that Lemore isn't Serra.

The question I have about Ashara Dayne is when was she ever pregnant/ had a child? Tyrion saw strechmarks on Lemore when she was swimming.

She could be Tyene's mother, but as someone pointed out, how can a dark haired Lemore (Ashara?) and Oberyn have a blonde haired blue eyed daughter?

Tho this goes with my fringe/crackpot idea that Lemore is Serra, Aegon's mother, and is dying her normally platinum/white hair brown. Maybe playing Aegon's septa gives her an excuse to spend time with her son without openly admitting she's his mother.

It would be interesting tho if Lemore was Serra but also was Tyene's mother. That would make Tyene and Aegon half siblings.

Barristan Selmy recalls that Ashara gave birth to a stillborn daughter. We don't know the exact details of that incident, but that is the indication that she was pregnant and gave birth.

Both the Daynes and the Martells have blondes in their family trees, so it is possible for them to have a blonde offspring (not that I think that Ashara is Tyene's mother).

As to Lemore being Serra, well Illyrio seemed to be genuinely grieved that she had died, plus he said that he had kept her hands, which is super-gross, but also a fairly morbid thing to say if you knew the person wasn't really dead. Which leads to Serra death being faked, even from Illyrio, which seems incredibly convoluted and totally unnecessary at this late stage of the game.

She could be Tyene's mother, but as someone pointed out, how can a dark haired Lemore (Ashara?) and Oberyn have a blonde haired blue eyed daughter?

Tho this goes with my fringe/crackpot idea that Lemore is Serra, Aegon's mother, and is dying her normally platinum/white hair brown. Maybe playing Aegon's septa gives her an excuse to spend time with her son without openly admitting she's his mother.

OK here's the scoop on the two dark haired parents having a blonde daughter: one out of four chance if both are heterozygous for the gene. If he can have a blonde child, so can she. I studied molecular biology at the graduate level, so I am very sure on my genetics. George may not be this sure, but he may have asked someone who was, or done research. At any rate we are not questioning Tyene's paternity, and there are blonde Daynes (Edric), so even if we are using ASOIAF genetics, Tyene's blonde hair is possible if Ashara is her mother.

My first thought upon reading ADWD was that Septa Lemore was Tyene Sand's mother, but I'd prefer it if she turned out to be Ashara. There's a case for it, but it definitely has some weaknesses. The purple eyes issue that Revenge of the Starks mentioned, for example.

I used to believe Tyene Sand's mother=Septa Lemore, but Tyene is described as very fair, since Septa Lemore has dark hair.

Forgot about Serra's death. This series is due for a re-read methinks.

If she's dead, then her being Lemore is unlikely.

Could the baby have been Ned's?

Someone here said Barristan might be the betrayal for love since he used to have a crush on Ashara. It would be nice, but also depressing to see Barristan betray Dany, since he's the closest thing to a stereotypical knight in shining armor in the series.

Does someone have the textual reference showing that Ashara is a swimmer, or was that a speculation on a previous thread that since she lived near water she would be a swimmer?

Her supposed method of suicide was to dive off a tower into the sea.

So if the suicide was fake, we have good reason to believe she was probably a very good swimmer.

We would still have to find an explanation for why a fake suicide was staged, and where she disappeared to for a span of years. Jon Conington states she was not in on the plan at the beginning, that she came later.

To look after Aegon of course. She was his mother's handmaid.

I think you'll find that you are mistaken on the meaning of Connington saying she joined later. Effectively he joined later. Lemore and Aegon joined him together when Aegon was around 5 years old I think. Before that he was just an old exile, probably believing along with everyone that Rhagar and all his family were dead.

My theory is that Septa Lemore posed herself off as Ashara Dayne all those years ago, she was working for Varys and the Prince of Dorne. She slept with all these highborn men to get their secrets and have bastards who could be raised in secret to supplant the trueborn heirs. So Ashara Dayne is Septa Lemore this thread has it backwards.

• 4 months later...

I believe that Ashara Dayne's suicide, her haunting good looks, her relationship with Ned, her relationship with Ser Barristan- they're all mentioned all the time. It's as if GRRM has a crush on her (calm yourself, now, George, she's fictitious remember?).

So Ashara Dayne is mentioned all the time, throughout the whole series.

The series is coming to an inexorable close, with no satisfying resolution with regards to the repeatedly mentioned Ashara Dayne.

In the second last book we have a mysterious, smokin' hot Septa who seems as if she's not reaaaalllyy a Septa as she's so sexual/cheerful.

She has stretchmarks which indicate a former pregnancy (Ashara Dayne gave birth to a stillborn child).

She's referred to as "the Lady Lemore" by Jon Connington. Hello? She's a Septa. He should say Septa Lemore. I deduce that "Lady Lemore".......implies..... that she's a Lady......................... just like Lady Ashara Dayne was...........

Did I mention she's smokin' hot like Ashara Dayne was? Nope? Cos she is.

Septa Lemore is a Targaryen loyalist, just like Ashara Dayne was.

Finally, I conclude that the baby Aegon VI would have needed a Targaryen loyalist wet nurse to come across the Narrow Sea with him. Seeing as how the Lady Ashara Dayne was loyal to the Targaryens and had just given birth to a stillborn infant (and would probably be hunted down by the newly crowned King Robert), who would be a better wet nurse for Aegon to accompany him in hiding? It makes sense. The only drawback is the purple eyes, and her eye colour (I don't think) isn't specifically mentioned, as that might make it too easy. Everything else adds up.

Although I agree that the 'back from the dead' goose has been well and truly over-cooked, I always expect dead people whose bodies are not recovered to reappear later in the mystery. With two books left I can't see a better match, for reasons repeatedly listed above, popping up than Septa Lemore. Besides, Ashara has too many connections to Rhaegar, Arthur, ToJ, tourney at Harrenhal, etc. to be fish food imo.

I've also given a lot of consideration to the fAegon theory, though not my original thought on the matter, and find the Illyrio's son thing quite convincing. But if Lemore is Ashara then does that mean Aegon really is who he is? Any thoughts on if or how Varys could have fooled Elia's handmaid?

The chief objection to this is Lemore’s age—said to be over 40—almost certainly does not fit, since in all likelihood Ashara Dayne was approximately the same age as Eddard Stark, give or take a year, and Ned was in his mid-thirties at the time of the novels.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/Who_is_Septa_Lemore/

I think 7 or 8 years is well within ~10 (around 10)

My suspicion, completely random, is that Septa Lemore is Wylla.

Wylla was pregnant, came from a fishing village (one of the sisters, IIRC), so she would be able to swim, and hasn't been seen since Edric Dayne was a baby. She's not truly a lady, but given the people she hung out with (Daynes, Starks, etc), she might carry herself as one. Plus, for all we know, her name was Wylla Lemore.

I think this makes slightly more sense than Ashara, given the eye color issue. And more than Lyanna, given the really strong impression from Ned that Lyanna is dead.

Archived