Mya Stone

I don't know. I'm having trouble casting the Colts as a villian here. Let's keep in mind that they paid him $26 million to rehab an injury this season. And now he expects them to pull the trigger on another $28 million without taking a hard look at him?

Irsay is a douche, but in this instance his douchebaggery seems somewhat justifiable. I spose he could just keep his tweet shut though.

Well, yeah, that's the point. Everybody's expecting them to cut or trade Manning, and that's the business. But you do all this shit behind closed doors. Irsay is tweeting a steady stream of franchise-damaging diarrhea because he is a publicity whore who thinks he deserves the spotlight.

I don't know. I'm having trouble casting the Colts as a villian here. Let's keep in mind that they paid him $26 million to rehab an injury this season. And now he expects them to pull the trigger on another $28 million without taking a hard look at him?

I don't think he's expecting that at all. Pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall. Manning is just vocally countering all the premature reports, likely put forward by the team through back channels that Manning will never play again. After all it's a heckuva lot easier to cut loose the face of the Franchise when the situation is "hopeless". However Manning clearly wants and expects to play again and he seems determined not to let the false reports floating around him limit his potential options of where he lands in 2012.

I don't think he's expecting that at all. Pretty sure he sees the writing on the wall. Manning is just vocally countering all the premature reports, likely put forward by the team through back channels that Manning will never play again. After all it's a heckuva lot easier to cut loose the face of the Franchise when the situation is "hopeless". However Manning clearly wants and expects to play again and he seems determined not to let the false reports floating around him limit his potential options of where he lands in 2012.

I don't see how any of this limits Manning's options. If he can go into a workout and wow coaching staffs, none of this is going to matter.

I'm in agreement with Mya that this whole train wreck has made me very glad to be a Pats fan, if only in that the management styles are completely obvious. The Colts built their whole franchise around Manning (an alltime great, with class to spare, though I still blindly hate him, because, hey, he's the enemy). The Pats lost Brady for a season and went 11-5.

-The whole public tweeting/feud. I can't imagine for the life of me Either Kraft/Belicheck, or Brady airing their dirty laundry in public like this. Nobody wins. When the Pats cut ties with iconic players, they just release them, trade them, whatever and move on. thank you for your service. Bledsoe, Milloy, all done without fanfare. I still in my heart believe Bruschi was quietly told he was going to be cut, and given the retirement option as a courtesy. In closing, a team can be professional, and still successful. The Raiders, Cowboys, Redskins, and sadly, now the Colts should learn a lesson that celebrity ownership doesn't ewqual success. Hiring competent people and lettign them run the team does. I am now off my soapbox.

I love Peyton Manning. He's literally the entire reason I got into football and became a Colts fan (I think I've posted before about the first football game I ever saw), but it's time for the organization to move on. However, it's disgusting what Irsay is doing, and I hope he falls out of his owners' box on Sunday and suffers a horrific injury (landing on Tom Brady and dooming the Patriots would be a bonus). And lastly, I love that Peyton isn't going quitely. He's fighting back with his statements of "I'm not retiring".

Ouch... I have been trying to think of something else to say but just... Ouch... I'm going to try and hug a Bengal's fan today

We all should... They deserve to feel some love.

but it's time for the organization to move on.

Oh, agreed. Think the Colts title window has likely closed with Peyton and considering Luck's unique talent you probably have to go in that direction and rebuild.

The Colts are in an incredibly difficult spot with how they handle it because Peyton's a Michael Jordan level of iconic figure to the city - the greatest they've ever known. Generally that level icon gets the unspoken right to suit up in the team's colors as long as he wants to play. The uniqueness of the uncertainty surrounding his injury and the uniqueness of the #1 overall pick coming out this year have conspired to undo all that. The organization has needed to walk a tightrope in how it honors Peyton Manning, the man synonymous with the Indianapolis Colts, while doing what it needs to do for the future.

Course looks like ole Jimmy Irsay did a fifth of Vodka before setting out to walk that tightrope. He's mangled the PR aspect of this about as badly as one can. And maybe Peyton hasn't handled it great on his end but just the very nature of the situation makes him the sympathetic figure that Jim Irsay will never be.

Ouch... I have been trying to think of something else to say but just... Ouch... I'm going to try and hug a Bengal's fan today

Too funny. I am at a bar having a convo with a cowboys fan and trying to defend the Bengals. It is interesting.

Oh, agreed. Think the Colts title window has likely closed with Peyton and considering Luck's unique talent you probably have to go in that direction and rebuild.

The Colts are in an incredibly difficult spot with how they handle it because Peyton's a Michael Jordan level of iconic figure to the city - the greatest they've ever known. Generally that level icon gets the unspoken right to suit up in the team's colors as long as he wants to play. The uniqueness of the uncertainty surrounding his injury and the uniqueness of the #1 overall pick coming out this year have conspired to undo all that. The organization has needed to walk a tightrope in how it honors Peyton Manning, the man synonymous with the Indianapolis Colts, while doing what it needs to do for the future.

Course looks like ole Jimmy Irsay did a fifth of Vodka before setting out to walk that tightrope. He's mangled the PR aspect of this about as badly as one can. And maybe Peyton hasn't handled it great on his end but just the very nature of the situation makes him the sympathetic figure that Jim Irsay will never be.

Why do I think Brett Farve is chuckling somewhere to himself right now...

And not to belittle this story as a whole, but would this Irsay/Manning whatever it is be going down in this manner during this week if the Superbowl wasn't in Indy? One would hope that the mayor of Indy and some of the other illuminaries (whomever they are) are on the phone trying to get Irsay to shut the heck up for at least 48 hours...

Why do I think Brett Farve is chuckling somewhere to himself right now...

And not to belittle this story as a whole, but would this Irsay/Manning whatever it is be going down in this manner during this week if the Superbowl wasn't in Indy? One would hope that the mayor of Indy and some of the other illuminaries (whomever they are) are on the phone trying to get Irsay to shut the heck up for at least 48 hours...

Great Favre comment...

I don't think that the Irsay/Manning feud is doing anything to diminish the outstanding job the city of Indianapolis is doing with this year's Superbowl. I am not there, so I can not make anything but an outsider's perspective, but it appears to me like the city is in the middle of throwing one of the best week long Superbowl parties that has ever been.

Everyone I know there has said that it has been outstanding. The weather has been nice, but that doesn't even matter because everything is enclosed in a large central area. The locals have supported this by turning out in droves. It is nice to see someone do things right especially after the debacle that was last years Superbowl in North Texas.

And maybe Peyton hasn't handled it great on his end but just the very nature of the situation makes him the sympathetic figure that Jim Irsay will never be.

I think he's handled it really well, actually. He hadn't made any peeps about things until well after the season ended. When he has spoken it's been when he was pretty upset to see things like his longtime GM leave, state publicly that where he was wasn't the best place for rehab, then refuted notes from Irsay when he stated that Peyton wasn't ready. I guess the 'this isn't a very healthy place to be right now' is a bit bad, but it's nothing compared to what Irsay's done. He seems pretty reasonable.

And apparently this is the best superbowl experience ever so far. Great weather, easy to walk to everywhere, events all over the place, real festive atmosphere. And lots and lots of stars. By comparison to the way Dallas ran things last year it's night and day.

I think he's handled it really well, actually. He hadn't made any peeps about things until well after the season ended. When he has spoken it's been when he was pretty upset to see things like his longtime GM leave, state publicly that where he was wasn't the best place for rehab, then refuted notes from Irsay when he stated that Peyton wasn't ready. I guess the 'this isn't a very healthy place to be right now' is a bit bad, but it's nothing compared to what Irsay's done. He seems pretty reasonable.

And apparently this is the best superbowl experience ever so far. Great weather, easy to walk to everywhere, events all over the place, real festive atmosphere. And lots and lots of stars. By comparison to the way Dallas ran things last year it's night and day.

About time they stopped having this game in Miami, San Diego, or New Orleans. Jacksonville and Indianapolis is where it's at.

You know; festive, nice weather.

I don't think that the Irsay/Manning feud is doing anything to diminish the outstanding job the city of Indianapolis is doing with this year's Superbowl. I am not there, so I can not make anything but an outsider's perspective, but it appears to me like the city is in the middle of throwing one of the best week long Superbowl parties that has ever been.

I don't think the experience of the event is diminished. But the primary storylines for the game seem to be Gronk's ankle and Peyton/Irsay. Either the game is just set up that perfectly that it doesn't lend itself to proper stories to build it up, or the fued is an unwanted distraction. If the game wasn't in Indy, it wouldn't be quite the story it is, is all I'm saying...

The prop bet on times Peyton is shown on camera tomorrow is 4.5, I'm taking the over easy. Apparently he got seven showings last time and there wasn't any kind of controversy...

Dreaming but I wish they just rotated the game between all NFL stadiums. How cool would it be to see a game in Chicago or Cleveland (by me!) in the snow?

All the media types and big wigs would never let it happen because they want a vacation spot instead.

Anyways, my pick is:

Giants 28

Pats 24

Dreaming but I wish they just rotated the game between all NFL stadiums. How cool would it be to see a game in Chicago or Cleveland (by me!) in the snow?

All the media types and big wigs would never let it happen because they want a vacation spot instead.

Yeah considering it took a brand new stadium and a special one-time only special exemption just for New York City, aka the largest city/media market in the country to get a Super Bowl I don't see it happening. But maybe if everyone has an awesome time in Feb. 2014 (and how could they not? It's NYC!) it at least will get added to the rotation.

I always thought that's the way it should be. I guess the issue is teams that have outdated stadiums and non-destination cities like the aforementioned Cleveland. Seems patently unfair, though.

Ok, what happened in Dallas last year? I apparently missed this story...? All I can remember is Roethlisberger taking his o-line out and getting wasted.

About time they stopped having this game in Miami, San Diego, or New Orleans. Jacksonville and Indianapolis is where it's at.

You know; festive, nice weather.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic. I'm seriously debating driving down to Indy today to see what all the fuss is about...

I always thought that's the way it should be. I guess the issue is teams that have outdated stadiums and non-destination cities like the aforementioned Cleveland. Seems patently unfair, though.

While I agree that everyone should have a crack at it, I think that their system works. It encourages teams to make their stadiums as good as possible, because if they don't, then they won't get to host.

Ok, what happened in Dallas last year? I apparently missed this story...? All I can remember is Roethlisberger taking his o-line out and getting wasted.

The weather was absolutely brutal. Freak ice storms, traveling conditions were extremely dangerous, the local infrastructure was totally unprepared, etc...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/03/goodell-jones-defend-dallass-response-to-winter-weather/

Archived