Best and Worst POV

The Swaggering Bravo

• 1 year later...

Hi guys! This is my first post. I love ASOIAF a lot and look forward to any future discussions. I will post my opinions on all the POVs, best to worst.

ASOIAF POVs best to worst:

Jon: Always totally awesome, from training, to beyond the wall, to Mance and Ygritte, to battling the wildlings, to where he is now. Sadly he’ll never survive TWOW or ADOS, simply because he is the main character, Azor Ahai, TPTWP, The Lost Hero, and/or any other hero.
Tyrion: The best moments by far in the series are all Tyrion, however in ADWD his POVs go down in quality (Only a little though)
Jaime: IDK why, but Jaime is one of my favourites. His relationship with Brienne is beautifully written… JAIME FTW!!!
Arya: Consistently good, but there’s rarely a moment that just makes you go “Wow”. The ASOS and ACOK Arya is pretty epic though.
Theon: I was bored to death of his ACOK chapters, but ADWD redeemed his POVs beyond me even remembering that they were bad.
Victarion: The awesomest character ever. Stupid, but really, really, REALLY awesome. I sincerely hope he gets to kill Euron.
Dany: Her chapters were the highlights of AGOT and the few she had in ACOK were awesome too. ASOS and forward? Not so much...
Cersei: Love to hate Cersei… Her POVs are so relentlessly annoying, they’re actually fun to read… Especially the walk of shame…
Eddard: Bro you were so cool while you were alive, and you were such an honourable hero… But GRRM hates honour, so he deserved to die.
Sansa: Inconsistently written… In the first two she was absolutely terrible, but in the next two she was actually really fun to read…
Quentyn: Dude… That was kind of a messy storyline. He’s not dead… Really. It’s all part of the Dornish Master Plan, which I subscribe to.
Catelyn: Very boring at times in ACOK and AGOT, but the RW was the coolest part of ASOS, and her Frey hunting is awesome… Die Freys!
Bran: So conflicted. I have dreaded the Bran chapters ever since he “fell”, but he is going to be important, and is somewhat an interesting guy.
Samwell: I feel you bro… Sam is one of the characters I really associate with, and minus one scene, he would be top 5… But the fat pink mast killed that forever…
Barristan: Meh, not good, not that bad, just another version of a ADWD Dany chapter… Hint: She got top 10 but not for ADWD
JonCon: I laugh whenever there’s a JonCon chapter, because it means more “Aegon”, the biggest mummer’s farce since the Wizard of Oz.
Asha: Don’t really like her, because she’s a jerk to Tris, and that scene with Theon… On the horse… In Pyke… Yeah that was bad.
Davos: I was literally bored to tears at times in his chapters in ACOK and ADWD… I was crying and pleading for him to die… It happened, and then I found out he was alive again...
Arrianne/Areo/Arys: They all were the same, a jumbled mess of TERRIBLE, AWFUL, BORING chapters and maybe a useless sex scene or two.
Melisandre: Never should have had a POV in the first place… Thank the seven that there was only one… That was terrible.
Brienne: Don’t get me wrong, I like Brienne! A lot, actually! However, her AFFC chapters were hardly survivable. I almost gave her last, but then I remembered…
Aeron: I cannot believe that a great author such as GRRM would even do this. These chapters are so terrible , I almost stopped reading the series because of 2 CHAPTERS!
On a completely different note, here are three characters that NEED a POV at some point (In this order):
1: The Hound: The most bad£$% character in the entire ASOIAF/Game Of Thrones franchise, and by far my favourite. I would do ANYTHING to get a POV from him. Literally. Anything.
2: Rhaegar: I sincerely believe that Rhaegar Targaryen is still alive, one way or another. Don't know why though, but he is. To get a POV would be a dream come true.
3: Doran: As a conformer to the Dornish Master Plan theory, it would be SUPER COOL to see into Doran’s mind, even if it was a single chapter.

Worst: Maester Cressen, Brienne (just too long and tedious, her chapters have some interesting aspects but they were mostly too long and boring to me.

Best: Sansa, Dany, Tyrion, Cersei and Jon Connington. All were very interesting to read and touched me (in different ways).

Best:

Jon and Tyrion because I love the characters and the storylines that surround them.

Dany, because even though I dislike her a lot of the time, the storylines from Essos are fascinating.

Davos, because even though I often dislike what's going on around him, I love him as a character.

Jaime, for his character development over time.

Cersei - I hate her but think she's interesting and I kinda love watching her slowly disintegrate...

Melisandre's POVs are also really interesting!

Worst:

Arys Oakheart, Areo Hotah, because man, they're boring.

Damphair - come on, did we really need them?

Asha... just really dislike the character.

Victarion - sexist prick!

Best:

Tyrion - he's just funny and informative.

Arya while in Westeros - because she's awesome. So is Bran.

Catelyn - without her we wouldn't see Robb's victories.

Reek/ADWD Theon - because it's just some amazingly powerful writing.

Jaime - I never imagined in a million years I could love Jaime. I was wrong.

Sansa - these are slow chapters, but very close to the action in KL and again, some great character development and writing. I went from hating Sansa to loving her.

Worst:

Victarion - I know you said not the people you don't like but his delightful personality is so strong even seeing his name annoys me. It doesn't help that it's all home economics of a sailing trip.

Arianne - just pointless and boring. Doran does not like the Lannisters? Gosh, who would have guessed.

Cersei at large - because being inside her head makes me feel like me IQ is dropping rapidly, but more importantly because now I can no longer pretend she's a competent villain. They pick up once she gets thrown in jail and especially with the WOS.

Best:
-Tyrion: Always fun and interesting, even if I wasn't fond of the parts with Shae, but didn't mind his DWD chapters (for the most part)

-Arya: Especially with Sandor, I really wanted more with them together

-Jon: His chapters aren't that bad, both with the Wildlings & with the NW (mainly due to Delorous Edd)

Worst:

-Daenerys: I've just felt her story has been dull & it feels like I'm reading a completely different & boring story, doesn't help I find her character aggravating.

-Cersei: I just thank The Seven that we only had her in 2 books as a POV character. Her chapters were so unpleasant to read, especially the torture scene (sorry but I really felt sick reading that & I'm never reading that again). Her character was never that interesting to me either, you know she's a bitch & sure you've got to have a baddie. You can definitely tell where Joffrey got his awful attitude from.

-Asha: This might be the show that's partially to blame for this (mainly because she looks really unappealing & is really dull), but I felt her character just seemed really horrible, like strangely enough the only things I can remember her for is having sort of having an unhealthy fixation on genitals, like her own, or the people that were burning, I hope she's the sacrifice, because with Theon & Asha now captives of Stannis I think George said he only really needs one POV for what's happening at a certain location. I don't know I really just didn't like her.

Somewhere in between:

-Bran: Some of his chapters are a bit dull, but some can be interesting. I thought the chapters with Coldhands in ADWD were surprisingly pretty interesting, shame they cut it from the show.

-Sansa: Her chapters were a bit mixed, some interesting, like with The Hound, Some dull. Overall not a bad POV character, just not among the best.

-Catelyn: I nearly put her on the worst list, but I realised I just simply don't really like her character that much, but what's going on around her, I actually don't mind, even the characters around her make her chapters interesting, but for the simple fact I find Catelyn not a very good character (mainly due to her attitude to others), I'll put her in the "In between" pile.

-Eddard: He was good, but I didn't feel like I got enough from him to be among my best list. He could've been up there, but just missed out.

Best: Cersei, Sansa pre-AFFC, Arya post ASoS, Dany post ACoK, Arianne, Arys, Areo,Tyrion in KL, Bran after reaching Brynden.

Worst: Damphair, Brienne before reaching the Quite Isle, Davos, prologues and epilogues (minus Kevan's chapter, which was great), Jaime when he's not in KL, some of Jon's chapters, Sam.

Best - Tyrion or Arya

Worst - Bran or Brienne (because they both start with B, when i read their names i automatically think "Boring Bran" or "Boring Brienne")

Although i like Brienne and hope she ends up leading the kings' or queensguard, i fall asleep during her chapters. ever since Jaime left anyway. actually fall asleep.

It's gotta be broken down by book, Sansa goes from my least to most favorite and Tyrion goes the other way.

*Edit: overall, Jon Snow is my least favorite (dull with a raging mary-sue vibe) and my favorite is a tie between Jaime, Sansa and Arya. I like characters who are a little delusional or have quirks that come through in the narration, like how Sansa pays a lot of attention to clothes and Jaime is always sizing people up for a fight.

GOT

Best: Arya

Worst: Sansa

COK

Best: Tie between Catelyn and Tyrion

Worst: Davos

SOS

Best: Tie between Sansa and Jaime

Worst: Jon Snow

FFC

Best: Cersei

Worst: Iron Islanders

DWD

Best: Theon/Reek

Worst: Tie between Tyrion and Jon Snow (honorable mentions for Dany, but the last couple of chapters of her dragon vacation spared her)

Archived