ICE CROW

For those who are curious, here's the current situation:

For whatever reason, Invision has started running really, really slowly for any operation involving the sessions table. This includes logging in, logging out, etc. This has something of a cascading effect:

1. The PHP calls take a very long time to return.
  2. Because of this, the PHP engine instance remains in use. So the next request spawns a new PHP instance.
  3. Eventually, we either have too many slow PHP instances dealing with sessions (in which case the machine drags to a slow crawl), or we have too many PHP instances open (in which case the PHP engine stops taking connections and we get 500 errors).

Turning off the forum immediately makes everything recover; the wiki is smooth as silk once you do. (So, yay, at least all the current settings work really well for the wiki!)

Given this, I've made some changes to increase the number of PHP-FPM instances there can be at once, while reducing the amount of resources any given instance is allowed. We've ALSO told MySQL to always hold the sessions table in memory, rather than ever letting it flip out to disk, in hopes that'll improve the session operations.

*fingers crossed*

...I think this may be stable again. Just, nobody sneeze or anything! :)

Hey, thanks for your hard work. I come onto this site everyday, and it's a big part of my life... which is surprising, as i never use it for any information about GRRM or ASOIF.

So thanks... without you keeping the board up, I'd have none of the Floob to troll.

Actually, the board's doing okay... weirdly, it's Varnish right now. Periodically, Varnish is returning an outdated cache page for when the board *was* down. If that doesn't clear up soon, I'm going to manually blow away the Varnish cache.

Thanks for your efforts. Sysadmins are generally ignored when things go well and blamed when they don't. Here are some ideas on coping with the situation.

Yelling at the monitor may make you feel better, and the monitor doesn't mind. Throwing your coffee cup at it, however is generally a bad idea.

Eating Cheetos while editing config files is generally not recommended.

Staring at the monitor with a sufficiently angry expression on your face has been known to intimidate the system into operating correctly.

Never say, "I think that fixed it".

I figured you could use some humor by now. Sorry that I don't write it well.

Yelling at the monitor may make you feel better, and the monitor doesn't mind.

Oh, I do. I do. I am a normally soft-spoken sort, but... there are times. :)

Throwing your coffee cup at it, however is generally a bad idea.

Too fond of my mug to risk it that way. (Monitors can be replaced, coffeemugs have sentimental value.)

Staring at the monitor with a sufficiently angry expression on your face has been known to intimidate the system into operating correctly.

On occasion, yes!

Never say, "I think that fixed it".

I got to yell at Ran for this earlier today. Me: "I made some tweaks, hopefully it'll run smoother." Ran, ten minutes later: "I think that fixed it!" Approximately 45 seconds later, server goes WAAAAUGH and coughs up 500s. Me to Ran: "Why would you say that?!"

Echo of all the thank yous that have been expressed. I too get all frustrated about access issues, especially when I have a point to make that will set all those wrong thinkers to thinking correctly, but than I realize that I am getting my moneys worth so i stop complaining and enjoy myself when things come back on!

Suspect it's a varnish-related thing

well there's your problem...are you using a clear coat or high gloss?

Just to chime in, thanks to all the admins, mods, Kings o' the board, etc for all the work put in to keep the board up and running.

Just curious from a geek perspective...did you guys have a projected run chart for the number of users you expected based on series success & if so, how close was the projection to the hell you're living through?

EDIT: PROBLEM - every other post I attempt to make I am receiving a pop up error stating "no-permission" even though I am logged in and am in a non locked thread. I first received it after trying to quote Ran from his previous post, completed this post, went to the NBA thread in Entertainment and then received it on my first response there.

EDIT 2: the "no_permission" has been in a pattern of every other post for the last 4 I have made. I know, post less, work more, but just wanted to report it. :)

Archived