NFL 22: Free Agency part deux

Mexal

I'll be honest, the guy seems too good to be true for someone who was never an NFL head coach before. Like the bottom's gonna drop out on him like it did on Raheem Morris. But credit to him, I've been really impressed.

I can't imagine that he'll be able to completely recreate the magic of last season, but I would be shocked at a Morrislike fall from grace. I think he's the real deal.

That being said, there's a lot of potential backlash from this deal. Who knows how Smith will react to this news.

I think the 49ers could be just muddying the water to keep Manning out of the division. The Cardinals had to either pay the 7 million to Kolb or release him. Now the Cardinals are out of the Manning derby.

However if get to see Manning play for that stacked Niners team; I will be willing to sell my soul to the devil/god the highest bidder.

Manning at 3/4 of his old self on the Niners would be something to behold. Vernon Davis would be a nightmare for defenses even more than he is now. Couple that with Moss too?

All information at this point indicates he will be close to 100% as far as arm strength is concerned.

Hey Mexal, whats the 411 on OG Nate Livings? Dallas just signed him and PFF really doesn't think much of him.

He was the bane of our existence. Nate was the worst member of our line and had the ire of every Bengals fan. We all hated him. He wasn't the absolute worst player but we always blamed all the line issues on him. I think we're all happy he is gone.

That being said, he'll probably make a serviceable RG. He just wasn't a very good LG.

God, I hope Manning signs with the niners. Manning at 60% is better than Alex at 120%. I bet Manning has 3 more years in him, which is also Alex Smith's prime years. Definitely a gamble worth taking unless there are serious red flags about his health,

He was the bane of our existence. Nate was the worst member of our line and had the ire of every Bengals fan. We all hated him. He wasn't the absolute worst player but we always blamed all the line issues on him. I think we're all happy he is gone.

That being said, he'll probably make a serviceable RG. He just wasn't a very good LG.

Meh, that was I suspected. I liked every signing so far but this one seems like a reach. One of the misconceptions about Jerry Jones is that he picks the players HE wants, That hasn't been truth, He usually signs the players the coaching staff want. ESPN Dallas thinks Bill Callahan is picking the lineman he wants to work with. I hope he knows what he is doing. :unsure:

The latest word is that Peyton and his agent are asking for a contract comparable to his last Colts contract. (5 years, 90 million) No way do I gamble that heavily on him. Let the Donkeys have him...

Yes but with a provision for protecting the team based the columns I read. He is basically saying that if he stays on the field as "Peyton Manning" he should get top money (which he should). But if he can not play because of neck/arm related injury, then the team does not have to pay him.

Meh, I was prepared.

If Manning were to become a 49er... I would root for him. Until they play the Pats.

At which point it wouldn't matter. Sorry, pal, but Manning + Patrick Willis = Tom Brady crying.

I'll be honest, the guy seems too good to be true for someone who was never an NFL head coach before. Like the bottom's gonna drop out on him like it did on Raheem Morris. But credit to him, I've been really impressed.

Unless he has a dozen kidnapped hookers trapped in his basement, I don't think you need to worry.

Yes but with a provision for protecting the team based the columns I read. He is basically saying that if he stays on the field as "Peyton Manning" he should get top money (which he should). But if he can not play because of neck/arm related injury, then the team does not have to pay him.

Meh. That's quite a change in tune from "he doesn't need the money, this isn't about the money" or "he just wants another shot at a championship". 3 years at 45-50 million, sure. 5 at 90? No way.

I have always had a bit of a soft spot in my heart for the Browns. I think it is because their fan base is just some of the most hard core fans in the NFL. I really hope they don't reach out for Tannehill to replace Colt McCoy. Colt may have regressed a bit last year, but he is an incredibly hard worker, and I think he has the talent to become really good in this league.

Meh. That's quite a change in tune from "he doesn't need the money, this isn't about the money" or "he just wants another shot at a championship". 3 years at 45-50 million, sure. 5 at 90? No way.

To be fair, the money comments were delivered by Irsay. Peyton has never said a thing about money. If he plays like Manning, he deserves a Manning contract.

It makes sense for the Niners. They traded up to get Colin Kaepernick last year who obviously isn't ready to play. If you stick with Alex Smith, Kaep never plays. If you have Manning for 3 years (and you really like Kaepernick) then you're ready to move on with your drafted successor.

Well, I am sure there will be some sort of out clause after the first 3 years. Even the Colts had it (the 28 million bonus). Also I think after the 2011 season, the contract had 4 more years left. So no way any team will sign him for more than 4 years.

I think Manning is healthy and that is part of the reason he knows he will get top money. The Colts let him go because they knew they were not winning even with a healthy Manning in the next few years. They are doing what is best for them, rebuilding around a potential elite QB. So they may have done Peyton a favor by letting him go. Teams will sign a healthy Manning for top dollars. It is not the mill/year question; it is basically the length of the contract. I am sure when Brees, Brady reach 36; their own teams will be wary of giving them lengthy contracts. That is the prudent thing to do.

Then load the contract with incentives and backload it. 5 years and 4 surgeries later and he's worth the same money? I don't think so.

Peyton signed a new contract with the Colts last year. It wasn't a five year old deal. I do think a contract would have to contain health clauses in case he can not preform, but Peyton has no need to sign anything incentive laden as he has already proven he is an elite QB. Back loaded contracts are absolutely out of the question. Why would he play for money that in all likelihood he will never receive?

If a team wants Manning, they are going to have to pay for him. There should be an opt out clause due to health, but I don't think it is necessary to limit his contract in any other way.

5 years 90m doesn't mean that manning isn't doing what he said. Until you know how the contract is structured its impossible to say. It could be that only 5m is guaranteed for injury, for instance. The salary cap works such that you must always be able to support the hit if it comes, but since cap money rolls over to the next year now that isn't so bad.

Monday or Tuesday, the P-Man is supposed to decide.

Manning + Titans = Meh.

Manning + Broncos= Why?

Manning + 49'ers= Best team of the decade.

I wonder what # Peyton would wear if he went to Denver... Archie Manning was # 12, right?

Bengals finally make their first signing. They signed Travelle Wharton, formally the LG for the Panthers. He's a pretty good run blocker but not known as a great pass blocker. That being said, the Panthers fans seemed to love him for his consistently and were genuinely upset when he was released so I have to assume it'll be an upgrade over Nate Livings.

Archived