NFL 22: Free Agency part deux

Mexal

Just noticed this and I can imagine Jamie nodding along and cursing this.

http://www.nfl.com/v...to-the-Redskins

Yeah, can't argue with any of it. You can make a strong case Haynesworth is the worst FA signing of all time. Especially if this salary cap penalty holds - as $20 million of it relates to Haynesworth's albatross deal. Even when he's no longer on the team he's still able to fuck over the Redskins.

Meh, maybe we can have a safety that doesn't get burned by every single deep ball thrown his way. I'd say that's a definite improvement over Landry. But hey keep thinking a guy who only hits is good and is going to be good elsewhere. He's Roy Williams, except worse.

This is hyperbole for the sake of hyperbole. If you think Landry (or really any safety) is as bad in coverage as Roy Williams was you haven't been watching enough football. Landry's been burned more than any Skins fan would like but that's in part because every DC has asked him to do more than the Reed Doughtys and Chris Hortons of the world let alone safeties on other teams. He's also asked to do more because of the Reed Doughtys and Chris Hortons of the world and their limitations. But if you think the Skins D somehow played better when Landry was out of the lineup, you're kidding yourself.

I could go on entire rant on this but suffice to say, if you didn't see Landry's sick potential, you need to go back and watch games from the first half of the 2010 season, the last time he was playing at 100%. Y'know back when Shanahan was saying he was having a Defensive Player of the Year type season if he hadn't gotten injured. They'd finally moved him back to his natural position of SS after years of being misused under the Blache system where he'd play 20 yards from the line of scrimmage every single damn play...but with his new role he was just killing it week-in, week-out even as the defense around him was atrocious in the first year of the switch to the 3-4. But he got injured and hasn't been healthy since and so the Skins are now betting he'll never be fully healthy again. But if they're wrong and he goes to a team like the Jets or Pats that has coaches who know how to use highly talented players like Landry....just watch.

And y'know what? I still think Denver makes the most sense. It's still the easiest road to the playoffs because he's not going to have to get past Houston to win the division. Also it's bizarre to me a guy who's going to the Hall of Fame as a Colt is being offered a front office job to become a "Titan for Life" before anyone knows how good of a personnel guy he can be.

A job for life does not imply a meaningful job for life. If Peyton cannot make the grade in personnel, he gets a 'pat his head and sit him in the corner' job. Plus, there is a fair-to-middlin' chance that if Peyton sucks, he'll pull the plug before you can. He isn't dumb, doesn't need the money and has a lot of pride.

My favorite QB of all time was Roger Staughbach. If I had ever seen him him in a Washington, or Eagles uniform, I would have vomited profusely as my head spun around.

For your favorite of all time, you sure butchered his name. Roger Staubach.

Kal - Fouts had a neckbeard on several occasions. I just can't find the link. But he did.

Sorry, but until there is proof, there is no neckbeard.

I will still rank him higher simply because he wasn't going for beard without mustache, which only looks good on the Amish.

I just don't get Tennessee. This seems a lot like wanting to go bang your neighbor's wife right after their divorce because you've been living near 'em for so long that you've always wondered. Even though you've got a perfectly fine family at home and a good wife yourself. I'm not sure I get Peyton wanting to go there too; yes, he has connections there, and yes, they want him real bad - but they also have fairly asstastic receivers aside from Britt, a mediocre line and a huge albatross in Chris Johnson. Oh yeah, and shitty drama from Hass and Locker. I do giggle a bit thinking about Locker sitting on his ass for 4 years, but other than that...really, peyton? Really?

Tennessee would pretty much have to trade Hasslebeck, right? I am sure there are teams that would go for him. Oddly, the first one that came to mind was "Hey, Seattle would love an upgrade over TJax." But Jacksonville might go for it, Miami if they don't get Flynn?

Jacksonville got Henne. Seattle won't take him, I doubt (and Hass would almost certainly not go back). Miami maybe, but dunno.

They certainly would try to trade him. I suspect there wouldn't be any takers via trade and they'd end up just letting him go.

When did Jacksonville get Henne? I missed that. And yeah, I know Hass wouldn't go back, but when I think of QB-needing teams, Seattle comes to the top of my brain. Maybe Cleveland would bring him over? Have they given up on the McCoy experiment? Or was it only because they wanted RGIII?

I don't know if anyone has already posted these rumors (Manning rumors are hard to keep track of). But it contained this interestingish tidbit:

The Denver Post is reporting that the Cardinals are close to falling out of the race and that they should know by today's 4 p.m. ET deadline when they would have to give Kevin Kolb his $7 million roster bonus. NFL.com's Jeff Darlington also is reporting that Manning personally called the Dolphins on Thursday to inform them that he won't be taking a job in Miami*.

*Which is probably why the Dolphins are hoping their visit with Matt Flynn goes really well.

Sounds like Miami is out, and the Cards may be too. And if Manning is going to Denver for a physical, that has to be a good new for non-Tebowmania Broncos fans.

That's gotta be it then....

Or if they're simply going to watch Manning work out, as ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports. As ESPN's Adam Schefter reports, the Broncos traveling party includes John Elway, John Fox, the team's offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, general manager Brian Xanders and a medical team.

He passes the physical and he's a Donkey.

When did Jacksonville get Henne? I missed that. And yeah, I know Hass wouldn't go back, but when I think of QB-needing teams, Seattle comes to the top of my brain. Maybe Cleveland would bring him over? Have they given up on the McCoy experiment? Or was it only because they wanted RGIII?

Jacksonville is a QB needing team unless Gabbert makes vast improvements in season 2. If it's an open competition Henne almost certainly takes the job.

Cleveland hasn't been interested in Flynn and probably wouldn't want a veteran QB like Hassleback if he became available. It's probably McCoy unless they're willing to use their #4 pick on Tannehill.

Infact right now Cleveland is all pissy they didn't get the #2 pick and Holmgrem is insinuating he had a better offer for it but the Rams decided to deal with the Skins anyway because of Shanahan's friendship with Fisher. It's crazy to think the Browns could've offered more than even the Skins did. I don't know if they're trying to save face because their fans are upset, but if it's true that Browns were willing to offer more than what the Skins came with with their "best offer" then I'm surprised Snead didn't hold a bidding war. Who knows how high it would've gone with these two desperate, QB-needing franchises?

Manning is throwing for the Broncos management at Duke. They're coming to him. He hasn't thrown for Tennessee to my knowledge but he did have a meeting with them which included their doctor.

Yeah, seems like it's shaping up the Broncos were always the team he was most interested in, probably because of Elway, but he had to do his due diligence with everyone else who was a contender.

Manning is throwing for the Broncos management at Duke. They're coming to him. He hasn't thrown for Tennessee to my knowledge but he did have a meeting with them which included their doctor.

I kept trying to tell myself that the Broncos interest was just Manning and Elway working together to bring his value up for the other teams. I always thought he would end up in Arizona or Tenn. If this happens it will just continue to show that the NFL is the story to watch no matter what time of year. As we will then we on Tebow watch. Not to mention continue to watch Manning and Elway work together.

I kept trying to tell myself that the Broncos interest was just Manning and Elway working together to bring his value up for the other teams. I always thought he would end up in Arizona or Tenn. If this happens it will just continue to show that the NFL is the story to watch no matter what time of year. As we will then we on Tebow watch. Not to mention continue to watch Manning and Elway work together.

It should be a great fit actually. I look forward to him being a Bronco. Word is, if he passes the physical and throwing, he'll sign tonight. Can't wait for Tebow watch!

And it's time for Sivin to eat a bit more crow. So much for Miami...

Infact right now Cleveland is all pissy they didn't get the #2 pick and Holmgrem is insinuating he had a better offer for it but the Rams decided to deal with the Skins anyway because of Shanahan's friendship with Fisher. It's crazy to think the Browns could've offered more than even the Skins did. I don't know if they're trying to save face because their fans are upset, but if it's true that Browns were willing to offer more than what the Skins came with with their "best offer" then I'm surprised Snead didn't hold a bidding war. Who knows how high it would've gone with these two desperate, QB-needing franchises?

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Everything indicates Fischer is a nice guy, but the idea that any NFL franchise will turn away a better offer just out of camaraderie is just silly. The Browns absolutely had the ammo to make a better offer than the Skins, and they didn't. If anything, the Rams have an incentive to send Griffin to the Browns, because if he's in the AFC they don't have to worry about him in the playoffs. If the Rams actually rejected a better offer out of sentiment, then I think that someone should get fired, but that is very unlikely.

They are supposedly in talks to have Manning throw for TN soon.

Personally, I hope Elway sees him throw today and offers a contract for a bajillion dollars so that Tebow is out on 3:16.

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Everything indicates Fischer is a nice guy, but the idea that any NFL franchise will turn away a better offer just out of camaraderie is just silly. The Browns absolutely had the ammo to make a better offer than the Skins, and they didn't. If anything, the Rams have an incentive to send Griffin to the Browns, because if he's in the AFC they don't have to worry about him in the playoffs. If the Rams actually rejected a better offer out of sentiment, then I think that someone should get fired, but that is very unlikely.

Well as the rumor goes the Rams told each team to make their "best offer" instead of holding a bidding war. So the Skins offered three 1's and 2 while the Browns offered something less (maybe three 1's). But when the Browns found out they'd been outbid, they wanted to a chance to match/best the Skins offer - presumably by offering three 1's and a 2 of their own which because they had the higher picks in this draft than the Skins would be worth more. But according to Holmgrem, Snead didn't want to hear it.

Just a weird situation all around.

Personally, I hope Elway sees him throw today and offers a contract for a bajillion dollars so that Tebow is out on 3:16.

Too awesome.

Tennessee is on the schedule. It's not clear if he's going to be throwing for them at the same time like a mini pro-day, or if it'll be one then the other.

Cleveland hasn't been interested in Flynn and probably wouldn't want a veteran QB like Hassleback if he became available. It's probably McCoy unless they're willing to use their #4 pick on Tannehill.

Or they can give McCoy one last chance, and move for Matt Barkley if it doesn't work out.

(That's not me being snarky, I'm just expressing my distaste with the Tannehill situation, and that McCoy is the best option for now.)

Yeah, seems like it's shaping up the Broncos were always the team he was most interested in, probably because of Elway, but he had to do his due diligence with everyone else, who were actual contenders.

Fixed that for you.

It should be a great fit actually. I look forward to him being a Bronco. Word is, if he passes the physical and throwing, he'll sign tonight. Can't wait for Tebow watch!

And it's time for Sivin to eat a bit more crow. So much for Miami...

Once you bite in, it's not that bad.

That would make the whole thing worth it.

In other news:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d827a3a02/article/nfl-denies-nflpa-request-for-delay-of-penalties-in-saints-case-?module=HP11_headline_stack

Good.

Sounds like the Rams want to be seen as reliable business partners who don't go back on their word even if it costs them a little.

Maybe Holmgren didn't understand what "make your best offer" meant. When I was shopping for mortgages I ran into the same issue of one guy immediately making a better offer once I said that I was going with someone else. Demonstrating that you were lying the first time is not a good way to get business.

Archived