NFL 22: Free Agency part deux

Mexal

So far the Cutler/Marshall combo is 15-17 together, and that includes the Hochali Bowl. Maybe it will get better, but Cutler got so zoned in on Marshall in the past that no one else mattered.

The Cutler/Marshall combo was also in their first 2 years in the league, and on a Broncos team that kinda sucked.

Though, you do bring up an interesting thought. Jay has become one of the best in the league at spreading the ball to everyone because, fuck, he had to. It wasn't something he learned naturally, it was forced on him because of the lack of offensive talent in Chicago

. I'm very interested to see if he keeps distributing the ball around, or if he gets lazer-locked on Marshall.

Here's a statement from Marshall's attorney:

Seems like this would be fairly easy to prove or disprove.

I'll also add that if someone hit my wife in the face with a beer bottle - woman or man - they're getting slugged right in their stupid face.

Also also, Bears sign WR/KR Eric Weems. Seems like further proof that Knox won't be ready to go.

I agree with your statement on the Marshall situation. There's nothing wrong with protecting your family if that's true. We'll see.

I also like the Eric Weems pickup for the Bears. He's a good kick returner, and he'll make an upgrade at #2 receiver. ;)

I'm sure it absolutely helped and yes, Nicks is the best guard in the country. Just saying it's a lot of money for a non premium position, that's all.

If I was building a team. I'd be far more concerned with the interior line before getting the tackles sorted out. You can help your tackles by chipping and keeping in extra guys, in the interior O-Line it's all out one-on-one war. You need guards and a center who can handle it when the DT pulls out that shiv during a two-minute offense.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Filed to ESPN: Lions reached agreement with WR Calvin Johnson on a seven-year, $132 million extension that includes $60 million guaranteed.

Holy shit!

Pay that man.

Well Rex Ryan did turn Aaron Maybin into a productive and effective defensive player, so maybe he could manage something here too. Rex may ignore his offense and let it all fall to hell, but he does try on the other side of the ball.

Yeah, if anyone can do it, it's Rexy. Still, wouldn't look at this as more than just trying to upgrade over Jim Leonard, or is it the other one?

Though, you do bring up an interesting thought. Jay has become one of the best in the league at spreading the ball to everyone because, fuck, he had to. It wasn't something he learned naturally, it was forced on him because of the lack of offensive talent in Chicago.

Really? As a part-time observer, it seemed like half his passes were dump-offs to Forte.

Yeah, if anyone can do it, it's Rexy. Still, wouldn't look at this as more than just trying to upgrade over Jim Leonard, or is it the other one?

Eric Smith is probably done in NY (too many occasions where a critical fuckup was his fault) and Jim Leonhard had knee surgery and is a free agent, so they pretty much just need safeties.

Yeah, if anyone can do it, it's Rexy.

Still, wouldn't look at this as more than just trying to upgrade over Jim Leonard, or is it the other one?

I haven't been paying attention much, I usually don't until August rolls around, but if Leonard is healthy I doubt they're trying to replace him. I know "quarterback of the defense" is an incredibly overused phrase, but in Leonard's case it really is true. Each year that he's gotten injured, the defense has gotten significantly worse afterwards. The guy knows everyone's coverage assignments and can audible changes.

Man Tampa is really shelling out some cash. WAY over paid Eric Wright tho.

Welcome to the board!

Well, this is awkward, but we kinda already have a Jaime L in these threads, so you're going to really have to make a big splash somehow. Are you by any chance a redskins fan?

Are you somehow implying you're better than me? Huh, punk?

I kid. Anyway this is inspiring me to create a "Better than Kalbear" alt.

Levi brown to the skins would make sense. Overrated bust linemen do seem to end up there.

He's only a bust in terms of being the fifth overall pick in the draft which you're counting on to get a blind side protector for the next 10 years . He's fine as a RT and is generally regarded as the best OT still out there except for Winston (who's injured and hotly pursued). Wouldn't mind taking a long look at Marcus McNeill either tbh.

Really? As a part-time observer, it seemed like half his passes were dump-offs to Forte.

Eric Smith is probably done in NY (too many occasions where a critical fuckup was his fault) and Jim Leonhard had knee surgery and is a free agent, so they pretty much just need safeties.

Yeah, Jay dumps off a lot, but that's because no one else can get open. However, when he's able to throw downfield, he generally gives everyone a fair number of chances to get in on the action.

Also I meant Eric Smith. I know that Leonard is the good one (I get those white boys mixed up at safety). But yeah, Eric Smith needs to go.

I haven't been paying attention much, I usually don't until August rolls around, but if Leonard is healthy I doubt they're trying to replace him. I know "quarterback of the defense" is an incredibly overused phrase, but in Leonard's case it really is true. Each year that he's gotten injured, the defense has gotten significantly worse afterwards. The guy knows everyone's coverage assignments and can audible changes.

Yeah, significant drop-offs in coverage the last two years when Leonard's gotten hurt. They need to upgrade over Smith, and get some depth in there so that even if they lose Leonard again, they won't have that catastrophic meltdown. Maybe New York looks at Inside Linebacker in the draft? It's not often that safety's are the captains of your defense.

I saw something indicating the Jets were interested in Meriweather too. Which would make me laugh my ass off. I think the Jets are the perfect team for the Swole.

Brandon Meriweather was benched by the Bears. The Bears! Safety has been a carousel of mediocrity, with the occasional exception, for years. And he couldn't get playing time.

When fans of other teams are saying things like this about a former player, FFS, it means don't touch with a 10 foot pole.

I'm guessing the Redskin research department got as far as: "He was a first round pick, right?"

http://blogs.nfl.com...sted-in-landry/

This is good news. Far better than Merriweather. And if he can stay healthy, Tom Brady's year just got a little less fun.

Wait, what? He hasn't even signed yet.

And of course the Jets are interested in Landry. He's the only one strong enough to lift Rex Ryan out when he gets trapped in the Arctic ice.

http://blogs.nfl.com...sted-in-landry/

This is good news. Far better than Merriweather. And if he can stay healthy, Tom Brady's year just got a little less fun.

Unless he ends up in NE who are also looking for safetys.

And now it looks like the Bears are trailing after Shiancoe for TE. You guys just replacing the whole roster from last year?

Wait, what? He hasn't even signed yet.

And of course the Jets are interested in Landry. He's the only one strong enough to lift Rex Ryan out when he gets trapped in the Arctic ice.

Got a little ahead of myself there. Meant to say "Brady's year might get a little less fun next year." Sorry, I'm getting excited. I can't remember a Free Agency this awesome.

And why shouldn't I be excited?

My favorite player is a Free Agent.

The Bears picked up a receiver who could make the roster of another team.

The Jets are finally looking to replace Kerry Rhodes.

And I don't have to see a white-out on the Colts' offense next year. Seriously, before Reggie got re-signed this was the Colts' offense.

Andrew Luck, Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzolez, Jaccob Tamme, Brody Eldridge, Jamey Richards, Ryan Diem, Anthony Costanzo, Jake Kirkpatrick, Matt Murphy, and Seth Olsen.

The only guy who wasn't white would've been Donald Brown (I think he's black, but light skinned), and Delone Carter.

My old bestest friend and I were talking about how it would've been like watching our old highschool offense.

Unless he ends up in NE who are also looking for safetys.

And now it looks like the Bears are trailing after Shiancoe for TE. You guys just replacing the whole roster from last year?

Why not? When your star Tight End is a guy named Klutz, you're in trouble... :dunce:

Cowboys get Kyle Orton thus ensuring at least one team where the backup QB will certainly not be the most popular guy in town. Orton, like Campbell, is actually pretty good as far as backups go, but I still can't muster any disappointment the Skins didn't get him. Looks like we're in for another ride on the Sex Coaster which I'm fine with because if RGIII goes down, we're fucked anyway.

And if you're fucked, you might as well be fucked by the sex cannon on the sex coaster.

Am disappointed the Bears didn't get Nicks. But realistically we couldn't compete with Tampa's money. It'll probably come down to the draft for both positions of need.

I don't know why we're going after Michael Bush though; I thought Forte/Barber was a perfectly reasonable combination of RBs and the problem is the oline.

Bush would be a great signing, but even Mike Zimmer has to know that Newman is finished. It makes sense he is visiting there as Zim was his first coach.

Not only did my Boys get Orton, which is a very respectable backup QB, but we just landed the best CB in free agency Brandon Carr. We got him at the relative bargain price of 7 million a year. That is less money than Finnegan inked for, and far less than if we would have gotten Asomgaugh last year.

Now, we need a good safety and guard and we'll be pretty good this year

Carr signs with the Cowboys for a 5 year, $50 million dollar deal, essentially the same as what Finnegan signed for with the Rams.

Let's go back to check our prognostication skills on this one:

Maithanet

I think Carr is worth more than Finnegan. I think he'll get something like 5 years, $58 million.

Mexal

I don't agree. I think Finnegan gets more than Carr. He's a better CB.

Yay! We're both wrong! They're worth the same.

Archived