Aegon VI - Does he know?

JamesTruwood

I don't think he knows, just based on the way he talks about his 'father' Rhaegar. I do believe that he will be told eventually, though. It's even possible that if they secure the Throne he will be openly proclaimed to Westeros as a Blackfyre. I would think that the Blackfyre supporters would want the world to know that they succeeded in their century plus old goal of seating a Blackfyre on the Throne.

I think he's convinced he's Aegon Targaryen, not Aegon Blackfyre. He seems proud to be a Targ, and I believe that might become a problem once the truth about his identity is revealed - who knows, he might actually hate Blackfyres through his studies of History! lol

What purpose would it serve for him to know and why does Illyrio avoid contact with him other than to prevent jogging any inconvient memories?

He is a Blackfrye, but the last of the male line and it nows serves their purpose to have a Targ on the throne who can return the lands and titles of those Westerosi nobels who have been exiled and made-up the Gold Company's members for a long time now.

No way he doesnt know and as a matter a fact i think he is a Targaryen ...no real rationale why, but i think i would just be bummed out to find out he was a pretender...I see all the reasoning by why he is a Blackfyre but i personally hope he is the real deal

Imagine growing up believing that your father was the Prince of Dragonstone, Rhaegar Targaryen and that you were the rightful heir to the Iron Throne only to find out that your real father is a fat cheesemonger and that your entire life has been filled with lies.

Aegon very likely thinks he is Aegon VI and a Targaryen. He is probably a fake/not a Targaryen and so likely does not know his true ancestry.

I was wondering: If Aegon is actually Illyrio's son (one of the Blackfyre theories) then is it possible that Illyrio and Varys hatched their plan after he was born and given a name? If so, then his original name would not be Aegon.

Imagine growing up believing that your father was the Prince of Dragonstone, Rhaegar Targaryen and that you were the rightful heir to the Iron Throne only to find out that your real father is a fat cheesemonger and that your entire life has been filled with lies.

When put that way, I feel really bad for him. It will be a crazy parallel for him to find out that and then Jon finds out that he is really Rhaegar's son, not Aegon.

And to answer the OP, no, I do not think he knows (if that is the truth). I think he has only been told he is Aegon Targaryen, son of Rhaegar and Elia and heir to the Iron Throne.

I don't think he knows, just based on the way he talks about his 'father' Rhaegar. I do believe that he will be told eventually, though. It's even possible that if they secure the Throne he will be openly proclaimed to Westeros as a Blackfyre. I would think that the Blackfyre supporters would want the world to know that they succeeded in their century plus old goal of seating a Blackfyre on the Throne.

So, according to the Griff/Aegon is a Blackfyre theory, which I am unfamiliar with, are Jon Connington and Septa Lemore also in the dark about his true heritage? I certainly read Connington, in his own and others' POV, as sounding convinced that Aegon was Rhaegar's son, though I might do well to re-read with this in mind.

If so, that posits some sort of double-double baby swap or a faked baby swap (masterminded by Varys & Illyrio?)...either a fake Aegon was killed, and further, the real Aegon was swapped with this Baby Blackfyre and given to Connington's care; or more likely, the real Aegon was killed, and Baby Blackfyre was handed to Connington et al, who were told he was the real Aegon Targaryen. Jon Connington would be highly motivated to care for Rhaegar's son--a masterful choice.

Awesome!

According to the Blackfyre theory, what might be behind Tyrion's affinity for Griff--the emotional pull mentioned several times? Despite Griff's pretty obvious jerkiness toward Tyrion (in my opinion).

How many of Griff's company are in the dark? What is Illyrio and Sera's relationship to the child? I assume the Ashara Dayne as the Septa still holds for some?

Sorry, for the questions. If I could search, I might find a neat summary of the theory somewhere (although I like conversations about such things anyway).

And yes, Griff appears to be utterly convinced that he is Aegon T.

@Jadiecat

Basically the theory is that no baby switch occurred and Varys just made that up, that Jon Connington definitely thinks Aegon is the real deal (and is being used to provide legitimacy for the claim), Septa Lemore (whoever she is) and the rest of Connington's crew probably do not know, but at least some of the leadership of the Golden Company (Blackfyre founded) do know the truth. I'm not sure about Tyrion's affinity for Griff, to be honest I don't remember getting that feeling (I thought Connington was basically just a jerk, although he does save Tyrion's life). It is also theorized that Aegon is the child of Illyrio and Serra (who would be a Blackfyre under this theory), and that he spent his early years with Illyrio at his mansion in Pentos before being given over to Connington to be molded into the 'perfect King.'

There are lots of great threads on the subject, and plenty of people who disagree with the theory. You should definitely check some of them out when search is functioning again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

No ofcourse not. But then again aegon's legitimacy should not be in question. I am re reading acok and Varys tells Tyrion about Dorne and it's anger towards the lannisters for Elia's babe. The baby switch is perfectly logical. It's not like the mountain would ever suspect it. And even if he did he He probably bashed the face in to hide his own mistake of letting the heir to the throne slip through his fingers. Varys could have loyalties to targ family for raising him to such a high office being an eunuch and all.

I would kill myself as he might do when he finds out the truth

No ofcourse not. But then again aegon's legitimacy should not be in question. I am re reading acok and Varys tells Tyrion about Dorne and it's anger towards the lannisters for Elia's babe. The baby switch is perfectly logical. It's not like the mountain would ever suspect it. And even if he did he He probably bashed the face in to hide his own mistake of letting the heir to the throne slip through his fingers. Varys could have loyalties to targ family for raising him to such a high office being an eunuch and all.

Is it really logical? Noone knew Gregor would bash in Aegon's face. Even Tywin was surprised by that display of cruelty. And if Gregor hadn't bashed that face in, everyone would know Aegon as switched (if that switch indeed occurred) - except for Gregor himself, who had never seen baby Aegon...

And, if YG really is Aegon VI Targaryen, I would like to hear an explanation why the GC not only supports a scion of the very dynasty they were founded to unthrone, but even broke their current contract for him. They had been known for upholding every contract beore, and you don't simply throw away that kind of a reputation...

Archived