Sign in to follow this  
Myshkin

Nobel Literature Prize Speculation 2019 - Tokarczuk and Handke

Back in 2015, I actually acted in a stage production of one of Handke's plays ('Offending the Audience'). I thought the name looked familiar, but was not aware of his political views until now. Rather gives a new meaning to the play's title...

It never seizes to impress me how things can get messed up...

You know, Western countries these days have no problems with war criminals as government officials in Belgrade, Pristina, Zagreb, Sarajevo, Banja Luka and Podgorica. Calling Handke "war criminal apologist" and simultaneously be OK with the leading parties in above-mentioned cities and their respective countries is the hypocrisy at its finest. 

No one cares that Montenegrin Prime Minister was part of Milosevic's government (yeah, he would tell you how he has changed), that current Serbian President was a busboy to Milosevic and his gang and that many current Serbian Ministers are from Milosevic's party. Then, up until few days ago, Prime Minister of Kosovo was someone whom Hague couldn't even properly trial because witnesses were dropping dead like flies. In Croatia, the President's favorite singer is the fascist who is yearning the good old days of Croatian Independent State under nazi Germany. Almost the same structures that were leading Bosnia during 1990s are still there. And these people are all applauded daily to be democratic leaders of the region, the peacekeepers. BY WESTERN COUNTRIES, nonetheless. So, I am sorry but if they are OK, if they get the unconditional support of USA and EU, I find it difficult to be bothered by Handke. 

And finally, no one is speaking about man's writing and work, like it doesn't matter. But that is whole new can of worms.