So why didn't the Qartheen kill Dany and take her Dragons ?

Sheep the Evicted

Haven't read the books in a long time and i don't have them in front of me but i really can't see why they let Dany live. The east knows about the power and danger of the valyrians far better then the west does, they should have been foaming at the mouth to make sure they wouldn't reawaken to their former glory.

So why did they just let her go ?

Xaro was gay it wasn't like he wanted her for her body ? And its not like she could properly defend herself with her rag-tag army or that everybody in Qarth loved her, so why ?

Dragons are power, but do you know how to raise, yet alone control one,

Better to let her do it and control her,

however they underestimated what even a small dragon can do until the house of the undying,

after that would you try and take her on

Dragons are power, but do you know how to raise, yet alone control one,

Better to let her do it and control her,

however they underestimated what even a small dragon can do until the house of the undying,

after that would you try and take her on

I don't even think it had to go so far as considering how to control them if she's dead. I think it might just be the threat they represented, small as they were. As an unknown, people wouldn't know to what degree small = weak...fire's the issue, not brute strength, and if you think a small dragon can open its mouth and unleash hell, I think you play it safe.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Qarth has no one true ruler. There are a couple of groups that already vie for dominance in governing the city. I don't think any one group wanted to risk trying to make a public attempt at getting the dragons in case they tipped their hands to another group. We do know that Xaro Xhoan Daxos was trying to get at least one away from Dany. Maybe he was doing this for himself or maybe he was doing it for the Thirteen. The Tourmaline Brotherhood might have been trying to subtly woo Dany to her side when they gave her a crown. One group attempting to kill her, perhaps as revenge for the House of the Undying burning or maybe as an attempt to get her dragons.

I think after Drogon burned down the House of the Undying, the Qartheen saw that the dragons would cause more harm than good for them which is why she pretty much expelled from the city. So I think they tried but just realized it wasn't worth it.

Neighbouring city-states would join forces to attack any one city which possessed dragons before they could reach maturity. Dany is a different matter, her aim was to retake Westeros.

So why were the Astapori so keen to take Drogon, if in doing so they would just get attacked? Not buying this one.

Qarth is a merchant city. If they killed Daenerys and took her dragons, they would not be trusted by other cities and would therefore struggle with trading. Moreover, I'm guessing that they thought Dany had control over the dragons (which she did while she was in Qarth, Astapor and Yunkai). This would explain why Xaro tries to manipulate her.

After the House of the Undying, they no longer had any interest in dragons and just wanted them away from their city.

This is something of a plot hole. The free cities, like Westeros are not necessarily ruled by honest, good people. Dany could have been overtaken many times for the Dragons. This could have been done by the other Khals as well, once they learned of the hatchings. Alas, it is too late now. Her dragons have grown.

... Until the other Ghiscari cities find out that Astapor has a dragon and they don't, you mean?

I don't recall an "... except for Ghis" clause in your original statement.

a) The Astapori and neighbours have a shared heritage from their former empire and would potentially work together to restore it should one of them gain a dragon. We've seen them unite in common cause already.

B) By the time the Astapori are trying to get their hands on a dragon they are much nearer maturity, it would be much riskier for other cities to start gathering armies, possibly too late for a pre-emptive strike.

Qarth is a merchant city. If they killed Daenerys and took her dragons, they would not be trusted by other cities and would therefore struggle with trading. Moreover, I'm guessing that they thought Dany had control over the dragons (which she did while she was in Qarth, Astapor and Yunkai). This would explain why Xaro tries to manipulate her.

After the House of the Undying, they no longer had any interest in dragons and just wanted them away from their city.

I´m not really buying this, maybe this would cause people to think twice before bringing their dragon-trading business to Qarth but your average trader wouldn´t give a flying rats ass

Archived