When did Jon Snow start boring you to tears?

Queen Cersei I

If Jons chapters were all about Jon and his emo-ness I would have been bored after reading a couple of them. But fortunately for me, Jons chapters include such awesome characters as Tormund, Stannis, Val, Maester Aemon, Jeor Mormont, Alys Karstark and Qhorin Halfhand and it´s through their combined effort and awesomeness that Jons chapters become entertatining to read. Compare this to his aunt Dany who hangs out with Bryzlyx Yx Pzyxlyx, Mozxyl rz Bloxzyl and other characters with names I can´t pronounce and who I don´t really give a flying rats ass about what they might say or do.

And I can´t help but admire Jon for being able to retain his sanity after being raped repeatedly by Ygritte

While I agree that poor little bastard Snow seems to get everything so easily, his chapters have never bored me. They're always full of excitement and mystery, and I thought his time with Ygritte was the best. Yeah, when you put it like that, I guess her role was kind of obvious, but I liked her. I think she brought the best out of Jon.

So, in short: never. I may have problems with his character, but being boring is not one of them.

I think he started to bore me when the sun rose in the west and set in the east...or was it when seas went dry and...oh wait, hasn't happened yet...

I understand some people might think he got everything handed to him and name him a Mary Sue or whatever, but in no way is he boring.

At least stuff actually happens in his chapters, which can't be said for some of the other characters...

I think he started to bore me when the sun rose in the west and set in the east...or was it when seas went dry and...oh wait, hasn't happened yet...

I understand some people might think he got everything handed to him and name him a Mary Sue or whatever, but in no way is he boring.

At least stuff actually happens in his chapters, which can't be said for some of the other characters...

He might have gotten a childhood most bastards would never get in that world but damn he's in the Nightwatch, the all male population that practically lives on top of a monstrous big icecube far north enough that said icecube never melts. That'd be brutal with our heating and clothing techonology nevermind living with nothing but furs and wood fires. It doesn't make it much of a coincidence that the North is the most concerned with honor because duty and honor have to be just about the only things that send men to the Wall willingly.

Jon was a likeable fellow in the first four books, and I liked his chapters, mostly because of Sam, but he never was one of my favorite characters. Until Dance, in that book he really grew on me, and his 'death' really struck me. Unexpectedly.

Don't tell me you listened to Jon's chapters and still haven't noticed all the contrivances throughout. He became LC at 16-17, at a time when the Watch was facing its biggest crisis in millenia thanks to a string of those - most competent officers dead, the two main candidates very conveniently hating each other, Sam's lies which wouldn't have worked in high school elections but somehow two experienced men like Pyke and Mallister fell for them...

He got a sword the kind of which the richest family in the realm couldn't get for hundreds of years after knowing Mormont for a month or so. Yah, yeah, he saved his life, big deal, if this was a legit reason for families giving up their Valyrian sword, they wouldn't stay in one family for centuries.

When people are using these points in their argument, it's usually because they don't know all the facts. You also make it sound like Jon's story is littered with contrivances and plot devices, then when I ask you to name them, you name two. Figures. Not to mention the two you did name were complete bs.

There was nothing contrived about Jon becoming LC at the age he did, in the world of aSoIaF. We have all kinds of leaders the same age or younger, who are leading on a much bigger scale than Jon's small group. Jon wasn't even the youngest LC to ever be chosen either, the youngest was eleven. Jon had proven himself capabable when he held the Wall against Mance Rayder. He was also raised in a Castle, he can read and write, he was trained by a Maester, and a Master-at-arms. Also, Jon's uncle Benjen was a big deal in the Nights Watch. Not to mention, in horrible times, the North knows to turn to a Stark, because that's what they know. The Starks have always seen them through, and Jon is the son of Eddard Stark(for all they know).

And GRRM established that Pyke and Mallister hated each other, way befor Jon got elected. So it's not like that was something new, just to help Jon get elected. If that were the case, then that would be contrived, but that was not the case. It's not the story's fault that you can't remember all the information. Jon was also not elected unanimousl or anythingy, and it took Sam tricking the two biggest candidates. Which is believable when you have all the facts, and the fact is that Pyke and Mallister hated each other, that's why they were on opposite ends of the Wall, and that was explained way before Jon ever got elected.

Stannis had also said earlier that morning that he would choose the LC if the Nights Watch did not deside that night. So why would Pyke and Mallister not believe Sam's lie??? Sam said to Pyke that Mallister would be chosen, unless they decided on a LC that night, and Sam told Mallister that Pyke would be chosen. Both of them were the two biggest candidates with the most votes, so why would it be hard to believe for either of them that the other would be chosen? Also, Sam was very scared of Pyke, and Pyke knew that, so Pyke wouldn't think that Sam would be brave enough to lie to him. Mallister was Castle born, he thinks that people like him and Sam are above everyone else. Mallister would not think that someone like Sam would lie, because Sam was raised in a Castle. Mallister even tells Sam that the good values and training that you learn early on, being raised in a Castle, can never be replaced. So again, Mallister would not see Sam as someone who would lie to another highborn person, especially when it's concerning "lowborn scum like Pyke", a bastard from the Iron Islands.

As far as Jon getting Longclaw, GRRM explained everything perfectly, to make it completely understandable how Jon could get Longclaw. Everytime someone is against this, they have to say how "the all mighty Tywin Lannister could not even get a Valyrian Steel sword, how could Jon be given one blah blah". That argument is ridiculous. Valyrian Steel swords are given away all the time, they are passed down from father to son for generations. Nobody sells them because they mean more than that. Jeor gave Longclaw to his son Jorah, Jorah dishonored himself and his family, and he left the sword on Bear Island when he ran away. Maege Mormont felt like the sword should go back to Jeor, and that it was his to give away again. Jeor no longer had a son of his blood to give the sword to. So he gave it to a surrogate son, who happened to save his life by killing a freaking Wight. Keep in mind, Jeor does not use this sword, it's been stashed away in his room for ever. Also I am sure that Jeor had high hopes for Jon one day being in a position as a leader for the Nights Watch, so why wouldn't he want Jon to have a good sword?

Many people like to think that it would be more "realistic", had Jeor sent the sword back to his daughter on Bear Island. Those people are ridiculous. Jeor probably didn't even think about the sword, until they found it when they were going through all his burnt stuff after the fire was out. Keep in mind now that Jeor had just convinced Jon that their war against the Others was more important than Robb's war in the South and that's what kept Jon from trying to leave again, and now people think that Jeor should be a hypocrit and send his Valyrian Steel sword South, instead of giving it to a promising young swordsman who will be going North to battle the Others and Wights? On top of that, Jeor was grooming Jon for Command, and Jon saved his life in fighting a Wight.

How could Jeor tell Jon to forget about his family, because fighting the Others was more important, while at the same time thinking that a Valyrian Steel sword should go to his family, instead of being put to better use against the Others, Wights, and Wildlings?

Like I said, when you know all the facts, and when you actually understand all the material, these are not even close to being contrivances. I don't know what it is about Jon that makes you put the blinders on, but I suggest you try and take them off, and do yourself a big favor, and reread all Jon's chapters. Because you are really missing out on a lot of very good, well thought out stuff, that makes complete sense.

Jon Snow was never my favorite character, but I liked all of his POVs until Dance With Dragons. At least before then he had kinda like an Ender Wiggins sorta thing going on (maybe it was only for me). Like, he's super talented, socially isolated, clearly destined for great things. What I always found interesting about Jon Snow was that I was constantly rooting for him to abandon his vows and leave the Night's Watch, I was rooting against his honor.

Dance With Dragons seemed to be an endless repetition of minor details that I really didn't need to know. Do I care how many Wildlings are living in which fortress? Not really. And nothing ever really happens until the end, when I finally got my wish for this character, then he got stabbed a lot.

But when his POVs show him rotting in a grave, Jon Snow will be really boring, trust me.

Perhaps, but I have yet to hear posters wish en masse that Jon be sexually assaulted as punishment.

Keep fighting the same fight, QS! The names may change, but the game remains the same.

One day you'll make everyone understand.

Keep fighting the same fight, QS! The names may change, but the game remains the same.

One day you'll make everyone understand.

Yeah, what the hell is that even about? Who even says that sexual assault is a fine punishment for any character? I've never seen it on here.

Archived