Boarders Writing a Novel, Draft 7

Myrddin

I submitted a short story to a magazine a few months ago and while they said they really liked it and it was a tough decision, they rejected it.

That's a tough response, perhaps even tougher than a simply rejection. In my view, it's better to miss by a mile than by an inch; you'd better believe that although Al Gore might stay up at night thinking over what might have been, Walter Mondale sleeps soundly!

Still, it sounds like you've put the experience to good use. Sadly, with some people you get only one shot at the prize, but it sounds like you're ready to move on, and with better work too boot. Keep the faith.

Hey guys, after a lot of work and formatting issues I finally got my book on the Kindle. Let me be clear: this is self published. But this is the novel I've been working on for the last ten years, and since I am so obsessive that I can't let it go even when I have query letters out, I thought it best just to put it out so I can move on and start writing something else.

Personally, I think it is very good. If you're interested here is a link: http://www.amazon.co...39141201&sr=8-1

I'm really excited about this for two reasons:

1. I want some genuine feedback that friends and family just seem to never give.

2. I can finally start writing something else. I have so many other things I want to work on. Where do I even start? This is fantastic!

I was going to start a thread about it, but since it's self published I don't know...I don't want to be a spammer.

Hey guys, after a lot of work and formatting issues I finally got my book on the Kindle. Let me be clear: this is self published. But this is the novel I've been working on for the last ten years, and since I am so obsessive that I can't let it go even when I have query letters out, I thought it best just to put it out so I can move on and start writing something else.

Personally, I think it is very good. If you're interested here is a link: http://www.amazon.co...39141201&sr=8-1

I'm really excited about this for two reasons:

1. I want some genuine feedback that friends and family just seem to never give.

2. I can finally start writing something else. I have so many other things I want to work on. Where do I even start? This is fantastic!

I was going to start a thread about it, but since it's self published I don't know...I don't want to be a spammer.

Hey, congrats! I'll take a look later.

Oh, and you probably want to get over that concern about being a spammer. :) We self-publishers have only ourselves to take care of promotion; few of the amateur reviewers, and none of the professionals, will touch you. Promoting your book is a thankless, endless task, but it's the only game in town.

What's a better title:

Kingdom of Woe

or

Every Kingdom Falls

(I purposely don't want you to actually know anything about the story).

EDIT:

Actually, I will add one piece of information: It's a two-part epic fantasy, and my original plan was to name the first one Kingdom of Woe, and the second one Kingdom of the Dead. If I decide to go with Every Kingdom Falls, then I'll likely just throw a "Volume One" and "Volume Two" on there.

What's a better title:

Kingdom of Woe

or

Every Kingdom Falls

(I purposely don't want you to actually know anything about the story).

EDIT:

Actually, I will add one piece of information: It's a two-part epic fantasy, and my original plan was to name the first one Kingdom of Woe, and the second one Kingdom of the Dead. If I decide to go with Every Kingdom Falls, then I'll likely just throw a "Volume One" and "Volume Two" on there.

There is an epic fantasy book coming out in December called Falling Kingdoms and I think the second one sounds too much like that one. To be honest, I don't like Kingdom of Woe either...but I don't know what the book is about, so it may work.

There is an epic fantasy book coming out in December called Falling Kingdoms and I think the second one sounds too much like that one. To be honest, I don't like Kingdom of Woe either...but I don't know what the book is about, so it may work.

Wow, that sucks that there's such a similar title coming out so soon in the same genre, because I actually really liked Every Kingdom Falls while hating Kingdom of Woe (it's actually an old title of mine from a different fantasy, almost five years old now). Back to the drawing board, I guess?

Amidst the Corpse of Kingdoms?

Kingdomfall?

Ruination: Book 1 of the Kingdoms' Descent Duology?

eta: protip -> resist the temptation to add an "in bed" to these and the above when sending your baby out. because this, it'll be while before you see "Sciborg's Hummus Extravaganza" in print.

I may just go with Every Kingdom Dies or something to that effect...though it doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

I was never big on Kingdom of Woe. It just sounds kind of forced to me, like "Hey! This fantasy's really dark and edgy!". Even though I wouldn't really consider it be truly grim-dark (it's certainly lighter in tone than Bakker, for example).

Jeff Vandermeer on Beginnings

....A sloppy opening to a mystery still more or less serves the function of letting you know what you’re reading, whether the writer intends to support or subvert that expectation. But what if you’re not working off of a common pattern? For fiction that aggressively wrenches the reader out of existing patterns and modes it is even more important that the writer show the reader how to encounter the story. This is not to say that the writer is trying to straitjacket the reader, but that without an idea of the reading protocols, the reader may well feel adrift and the intended effect or effects of the story will not be part of the reader’s experience of the story....

Have a few queries out right now. Not feeling too confident that anything will come of them. I'm so frustrated with this ms at this point. Probably will try another couple batches of queries but at some point relatively soon may lay it in its grave, for a while at least. I still think it's good, but it's not great. I'm not sitting on the next Harry Potter over here or anything.

Started something new, feeling pretty good about it. Basic outline is done, just started on the first draft. Working through the conflicting feelings of excitement to be working on something new and the dread of holy shit I have so far to go before this is finished. Think this one is more ambitious than any of my previous works and will be difficult to pull off, but I am excited to try. It's sci fi, for a change of pace for me.

Have a few queries out right now. Not feeling too confident that anything will come of them. I'm so frustrated with this ms at this point. Probably will try another couple batches of queries but at some point relatively soon may lay it in its grave, for a while at least. I still think it's good, but it's not great. I'm not sitting on the next Harry Potter over here or anything.

Started something new, feeling pretty good about it. Basic outline is done, just started on the first draft. Working through the conflicting feelings of excitement to be working on something new and the dread of holy shit I have so far to go before this is finished. Think this one is more ambitious than any of my previous works and will be difficult to pull off, but I am excited to try. It's sci fi, for a change of pace for me.

I've found that the pieces I kind of dread becoming immersed in, often end up being the most rewarding in the long run. I think it's better than just feeling like, "Man, this story's so awesome, I'm so good, it's just flowing!" That usually ends up in me finishing it and thinking it's amazing, then getting high one night a few weeks later and reading it and being like "My god...it's awful".

That's partially why I've put off getting into my two-part epic for so long. I wanted to be really, really sure (or at least as sure as possible) that the general outline of the plot and characters was competent enough before I found myself five-hundred pages deep and feeling like I need to rewrite half -- or more -- of the damn story. Luckily so far I seem to have a pretty good track record of being able to plan a story out, and then go and actually write it and still feel like the broad strokes of my original plan are solid. I honestly can't imagine being the type of writer that just sits down with a beginning in mind and starts going at it, with little-to-no idea of how it will end. At least when it comes to anything over a hundred pages.

My first draft of my steam punkish gothic horror-ish Resurrection Men is sitting pretty on just over 83,000 words with another five chapters and an epilogue to go. Chapter 34 was hardgoing due to being mainly ezposition. I realised i was putting in too many plot reveals and cut a lot out obly to put even more in. On the bright side 35 went smoothly. I'd be working on 36 if my laptop battery hadnt run out.

That's partially why I've put off getting into my two-part epic for so long. I wanted to be really, really sure (or at least as sure as possible) that the general outline of the plot and characters was competent enough before I found myself five-hundred pages deep and feeling like I need to rewrite half -- or more -- of the damn story. Luckily so far I seem to have a pretty good track record of being able to plan a story out, and then go and actually write it and still feel like the broad strokes of my original plan are solid. I honestly can't imagine being the type of writer that just sits down with a beginning in mind and starts going at it, with little-to-no idea of how it will end. At least when it comes to anything over a hundred pages.

I know! I make outlines even for my short stories. It fills me with terror how atrocious my writing would be if I just tried to wing it. But I know it works for some people!

Archived