[Book Spoilers] Pre-airing Discussion

Ran

They have the “previously on Game of Thrones” segment not just because it refreshes people’s memories, but also because it points out which past elements are especially relevant to the current episode. Notice how they sometimes have things in their recap that aren’t from the immediately-previous episode, but from an earlier one.

The ridiculous notion that people “could just go to Wikipedia” is completely unworkable both for practical and for theoretical reasons.

1. You don’t want folks to have to sift through mounds of information to find the salient points.
  2. You want them to know what the important stuff is without revealing spoilers.
  3. And this numbskull notion that if you have a TV, or even a DVD player, that you ipso facto necessarily have internet connectivity is so staggeringly untrue that its conception beggars the imagination.

Oh come on! Who can afford HBO but not afford internet?

Near the end of the preview... What was with Arya saying "I need him dead right now"? Are they changing her final "kill request"?
While it wasn't the exact wording, this was certainly her attitude in the books. She didn't want to wait for the kill to be done. Thus, soup.

My god, Rattleshirt looks silly as hell.

God, there is so much to fit in in this episode, I certainly hope they use the full 60 minutes. Also, why is there a "previously in GoT..." at the start of every episode? Last season I only recall there being a recap in one episode. It takes up valuable time, and if people missed last episode, they could easily read up on it on Wikipedia before the episode starts.

There is "Previously on..." in every episode of every series on HBO, Showtime, and Starz. A lot of people need to jog their memory because not everyone obsesses over a TV show. Shit, there are people that I watch the show with every week that have trouble keep tracking of each character and where there from/who they are allied with.

If they swap out actors instead of makeup/FX then there is no need for an actor to wait around between season as they can simply recast when needed and expalin the change as a face change. Much easier than the new/old Darren routine.

Yes, but I think it's important that people recognize Jaqen in his AFFC prologue GoT episode, how will they introduce a new actor then and tell the audience it's Jaqen H'ghar at the same time? Although, I don't see how the audience is going to recognize Jaqen's new face when Series 4 comes around after GoT introduces new character like the Reeds, Oberyn, Mace Tyrell, Slaver's Bay folk, etc. next series. Unless Jaqen changes face this episode, then sticks around with that new face until Ep. 10 to give Arya the coin (assuming they switch the coin/face-changing scenes around so that he changes face first to give the new actor more airtime and make him recognizable to the audience). Although I doubt it, why would Jaqen change his face at harrenhal and then stick around for 2 episodes, doesn't seem very believable, he can't change his face next episode imo.

I don't get the people upset about the "Previously On..." segment. It has ALWAYS been there for every episode (except for the first one). But it is only shown with the broadcast airings. (It is not, however, part of the HBO GO version of the episodes, nor on DVDs/Blu-rays/Downloads)

It is a very useful part for for 95%+ of the viewing audience. You know, the not book readers? Even I, as a book reader, find it useful on occasion, when it may have been weeks since I saw a character last.

Seems like HOTU definitely got moved back to Ep 10. I really hope they do the visions, otherwise her storyline is straight up retarded. This episode will probably deal with Asha/Yara and Theons conversation, Tywin leaving Harrenhal, Arya attempting to call in the final debt, possibly Robb and Jeyne, Rattleshirt is introduced and definitely Stannis, Davos, and Melisandre.

Ep 10 Guide:

"The aftermath of the Battle of the Blackwater sees the winner reward his followers while Tyrion finds himself in a strange situation. In Winterfell, Maester Luwin has some final advice for Theon. In Harrenhall, Jaqen H'ghar gives Arya a gift, and Dany visits a wondrous place in Qarth. Beyond the Wall, Jon Snow pleases Qhorin with his actions."

I guess episode 10 will end up on the dragons burning down the Hotu... although I would have liked it ending of Dany and co (+ Barristan) sailing away.

Just to say, in response to the Ironborn sailing comments earlier, I'm pretty sure the Ironborn ships had both sails and towers and some (in the iron fleet) were specifically not long-boats. If I'm wrong then the Ironborn are even stupider than I thought.

Yep. Just checked my nearest book, aDwD. Vic's chapters specifically refer to sailing and the Ironborn "having the wind". His fleet also contains Dromonds which are either Galleys or Triremes or large, Galleon-esque ships, depending on to which usage it refers

I don't get the people upset about the "Previously On..." segment. It has ALWAYS been there for every episode (except for the first one). But it is only shown with the broadcast airings. (It is not, however, part of the HBO GO version of the episodes, nor on DVDs/Blu-rays/Downloads) It is a very useful part for for 95%+ of the viewing audience. You know, the not book readers? Even I, as a book reader, find it useful on occasion, when it may have been weeks since I saw a character last.

HBO Adria (Europe) doesn't have "Previously On...". But we also get premiere of new episode on Monday. :(

I guess episode 10 will end up on the dragons burning down the Hotu... although I would have liked it ending of Dany and co (+ Barristan) sailing away.

I agree, this would have made a great end to the series, although to be fair, this *might* still happen if she visits the HotU in the beginning of the episode and if they end it with her (which would fit w/ last series' ending), although I'd say our chances are slim to none.

This begs the question then, knowing that Dany now knows about the dragons location in the HotU, what will possibly happen next episode (and to a lesser extent ep. 9) that will prevent her or at least postpone her rushing to them. We know (and saw) how distressed she is at them being gone (they are all she has atm, and the only thing preventing her from becoming a beggar queen like her brother), so what could possibly come up that would prevent her from just rushing into the HotU to see her children again?

Seeing as how different the Qarth scene is from the book (for better or worse), what do you think will happen to prevent her from rushing to her children's side for 2 episodes? Something to do with Xaro? Pyat Pree? Something else...?

I think/ hope that Bronn absence from the last 2 episodes has something to do with the chain surprise

And what about Varys’s absence? Same thing, or different? Conleth Hill is a pure delight. He does such an excellent job, I miss him already. Even the actor’s name makes him sound like he’s really a bastard from the Westcountry of Westeros.

Oh come on! Who can afford HBO but not afford internet?

People who have the DVD. Or people who signed up only for watching this show, but who have no Internet. My dad is just one such: HBO but not Internet.

Also, you assume everyone knows how to use the internet profitably. That is not necessarily true. Remember that half the population is below average. ; {

Yup. About to earn his knighthood as Ser Bronn of the Blackwater. :)

There seem to be fires going on in the city--follow Bronn's right elbow slightly downward and to the left, then at the foot of the gates, and again, near Bronn's own right foot.

And, just as a non sequitur, Bronn is sure wearing a lot of heavy clothes--those thick pants look like they could stand up by themselves. :P

There seem to be fires going on in the city--follow Bronn's right elbow slightly downward and to the left, then at the foot of the gates, and again, near Bronn's own right foot.

The one at his feet is likely intentional, for his use lighting his arrows.

Archived