Names: My newspaper column -- last three links restored

Ormond

I really love the name Dora. I don't think Dora the Explorer is really a bad connection to have to a name for a girl. Dora the Explorer is a smart little girl who has a lot of adventures. For full disclosure, if I ever have a little girl, she will be named Isadora, and I will likely call her Dora. :)

Dora to me will always be David Copperfield's child bride. I do like the name, though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's today's column. At least as of this moment, they've forgotten to put my byline on it today. I enjoyed writing this one because Angela Lansbury has always been one of the actresses I have most admired:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121016/LIVING/710169964/1696#angela-grew-in-popularity-in-italy-then-spread-west

Ormond, I hope you'll have something to say about Uma Thurman's new daughter's name. :)

Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence Thurman-Busson

Florence seems to be her paternal grandmother's name.

I would guess that part of the length is that, given that both parents are in their 40s, they believe this is probably the only child they will have together.

Arusha is a city in northern Tanzania; I suppose that has some personal meaning for the parents.

I rather like Rosalind myself and wish they were calling her that instead of Luna.

Not sure what else I can say about it right now.

Strikes me as super duper girly. All those A's and U's! At least Rosalind has some consonants, but it's still got that floral, girl-in-a-victorian-bonnet sort of association for me. It's a bit of contrast to what I'd think of as a typical slightly-kooky celebrity kid name (as much as I think of them) which would be sharp and modern and a bit androgynous, like Angelina Jolie's kids. (er, actually, thats all i've got.)

http://news.yahoo.com/infographic-how-your-first-name-can-predict-your-politics.html

Maybe this should go in politics, but what the heck. What say all you to this? Ok, "Cohen" is the most democratic leaning surname, but why are republicans named "Hansen"? And why is Ellen so democratic? Followed by names like - who saw this coming? - Sarah, Judith and Ruth. I don't think of Ellen as a jewish name in the slightest.

I don't have a lot of time to comment on this right now as I have to leave for a dinner appointment in five minutes--

But the reason that Willie and Gwendolyn are the most "Democratic" names in terms of donations is that they are overwhelmingly African-American names in the relevant ages ranges. Gwendolyn was especially popular with educated Black parents in the USA about 50 years ago because of admiration for the poet Gwendolyn Brooks, the first African-American to win a Pulitzer Prize. So the great majority of Gwendolyns alive in the USA are middle-class African-Americans, people you'd expect to have enough money to donate and who would be overwhelmingly donating to Obama.

A link to a biography of Gwendolyn Brooks:

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/bio/gwendolyn-brooks

Maybe I'll have time to post some other information about this later.

That's fascinating, thank you. Willie breaks more democratic than Tyrone, (or Gwendolyn!) which I never would have guessed. Any thoughts on why different Hispanic names line up differently? Alejandro is strong republican, and Juan and Jorge mild democrat, but within the range of a few other men's names, while Angel and Enrique are off in Democratic woman's land. Just statistical noise?

I would expect that differences in Hispanic names would have to do with differences in their popularity among Cuban-Americans (who tend to be Republican) vs. other Hispanic groups.

Angel is also used as a woman's name by non-Hispanic Americans and probably skews toward African-Americans when it's a woman's name.

Ellen's Democratic skew is geographical. Back in the Baby Boom years it was much more common in the northeastern United States than elsewhere, and New England and New York are more Democratic areas. I still haven't figured out why Ellen appealed so much more to people in Massachusetts and New York back then.

Archived