Names: My newspaper column -- last three links restored

Ormond

Actually Archibald was rare in England even back then and was more of a Scottish fashion.

Names in the UK have a much higher geographical "popularity" than in other countries in my experience. I know/knew quite a few Scottish Archies who are/were in their 50s, 60s and upwards.

Not related to the article (although it was as good as ever) but as I was cruising FB this morning, I noticed a name on my friend's wall. Brie. Why on Earth would you name your child after a cheese? Call her Bree, forgoshsakes.

Not related to the article (although it was as good as ever) but as I was cruising FB this morning, I noticed a name on my friend's wall. Brie. Why on Earth would you name your child after a cheese? Call her Bree, forgoshsakes.

Why u so eleeet?!!

I wonder if she has a brother called Roquefort? With bad BO problem maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

Is the Spanish name Dora a version of Dorothy by any chance? It's hugely popular with the kids in the last 10 years. I wonder if they'll grow up to be adults who'd name their kids Dorothy?

Is the Spanish name Dora a version of Dorothy by any chance? It's hugely popular with the kids in the last 10 years. I wonder if they'll grow up to be adults who'd name their kids Dorothy?

Like lots of short names, Dora can come from several other longer names. It can be from Dorothy, but just as easily can be thought of as a short form of Theodora or Isadora. My Spanish name dictionary also lists "Auxiliadora," one of the many Marian devotion names, as a possible source.

I don't think that Dora is particularly Spanish. It was fairly common in English speaking countries in the late 19th century and is the name of a character in Dickens' David Copperfield. It had an unfortunate image in the early 20th century as there was a tendency then to call women who weren't considered very bright "Dumb Dora", but that seems to have been forgotten, what with Dora the Explorer.

Dorothea is still used in Greek but Theodora, and hence Dora, is much more popular.

It had an unfortunate image in the early 20th century as there was a tendency then to call women who weren't considered very bright "Dumb Dora", but that seems to have been forgotten, what with Dora the Explorer.

One of my grandmothers was of German heritage and was named Dorothy, born in 1906.

I'm actually old enough to remember references to a 'Dumb Dora' (I'm guessing from old films) and hadn't thought of it in years. :)

I'm actually old enough to remember references to a 'Dumb Dora' (I'm guessing from old films) and hadn't thought of it in years. :)

The 1970's era game show Match Game would often form questions for their panel, "Dumb Dora was so dumb (pause for audience "how dumb was she"), she thought pancakes should come with pan <blank>" or somesuch.

The 1970's era game show Match Game would often form questions for their panel, "Dumb Dora was so dumb (pause for audience "how dumb was she"), she thought pancakes should come with pan <blank>" or somesuch.

Good memory. :)

It had an unfortunate image in the early 20th century as there was a tendency then to call women who weren't considered very bright "Dumb Dora", but that seems to have been forgotten, what with Dora the Explorer.

I was on one forum where everyone dismiss name Dora because Dora the Explorer.

I was listening to an old Marshall McLuhan interview yesterday when he talked about how wearing Levi's jeans was a form of nostalgia for our grandfathers' work uniform of denim overalls. Ormond, is the naming principle of going back three generations rather the same sort of thing?

eta: 1977 McLuhan interview here.

I really love the name Dora. I don't think Dora the Explorer is really a bad connection to have to a name for a girl. Dora the Explorer is a smart little girl who has a lot of adventures. For full disclosure, if I ever have a little girl, she will be named Isadora, and I will likely call her Dora. :)

I'm not completely happy with the headline the editor came up with for this one.

Let me give you (or remind you of) a bit of friendly industry advice:

Always supply a suggested hed for your column piece. Always. ... At the very least, put it in notes at the top before sending it through to the copy desk.

Also, make sure your paper hasn't outsourced it's production hub to India, like so many news outlets are punting to.

• 2 weeks later...

I like that, in 1969, it took only 139 babies named Jada to crack the top 1000 girls' names. Is it much more than that now?

I met someone the other night who'd seen the Angela Davis documentary at TIFF, and she said it was amazing. Long, but amazing, and Davis herself was there with the Pinkett-Smiths to present it.

I like that, in 1969, it took only 139 babies named Jada to crack the top 1000 girls' names. Is it much more than that now?

I met someone the other night who'd seen the Angela Davis documentary at TIFF, and she said it was amazing. Long, but amazing, and Davis herself was there with the Pinkett-Smiths to present it.

In 2011, the 1000th name for girls was given to 250.

Archived