Names: My newspaper column -- last three links restored

Ormond

Gwendolyn is african-american huh? I'd associate it with a middle-aged middle-class british housewife.

Well, it's not necessarily a "Black" name in the UK. Checking UK figures, Gwendolyn wouldn't be middle-aged there anymore. The average British Gwendolyn would be in her 80s (and actually would be more likely to spell her name "Gwendoline".)

Well, it's not necessarily a "Black" name in the UK. Checking UK figures, Gwendolyn wouldn't be middle-aged there anymore. The average British Gwendolyn would be in her 80s (and actually would be more likely to spell her name "Gwendoline".)

And Welsh.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know that Ralph could be pronounced as "Rafe" - if you'd asked me to name an actor with that name, I'd have gone for Rafe Spall.

I noticed your mention of Jasper as a name that's on the rise - one of my work colleagues has a friend who recently named her son Jasper.

So here's a question - have you heard the word 'ralph' used as a substitute for vomit?

"After I left the bar, I ralphed all over the sidewalk."

I think I do remember hearing that before, but it's not a very common term in my experience. The slang term seems to have developed just by onomatopoeia.

"Ralph"... any other (ex-)readers of Judy Blume in the thread? Because, erm, that name will always be the-name-that-that-guy-gave-his-penis in what is probably the first sex scene that I or any of my schoolmates ever read... :leaving:

"Ralph"... any other (ex-)readers of Judy Blume in the thread? Because, erm, that name will always be the-name-that-that-guy-gave-his-penis in what is probably the first sex scene that I or any of my schoolmates ever read... :leaving:

I've never read any Judy Blume. Do you remember which of her books this was in? And was it consensual sex?

So here's a question - have you heard the word 'ralph' used as a substitute for vomit?

"After I left the bar, I ralphed all over the sidewalk."

Yes. But I remember it being used back in the dark ages when I was a 20-something.

I didn't know Ralph Fiennes was actually pronouncing his name correctly and not just being a doofus. :dunce:

Great article!

• 2 weeks later...

Is Jack directly related to James? I'm always surprised that James is the direct translation of Jacques/Giacomo, and not Jack (when you mentioned Compostela in your article, it took me a few seconds to link Saint James of Compostela to Saint Jacques de Compostelle).

The usual explanation for Jack is that it developed from "John". -kin was a common diminutive suffix in medieval English. John becomes Jan becomes Jankin becomes Jackin becomes Jack.

Some experts think that "Jacques" did have an influence on Jack and confusion with the French name also helped in its development, but Jack doesn't seem to ever have been associated with James in English, just John.

The usual explanation for Jack is that it developed from "John". -kin was a common diminutive suffix in medieval English. John becomes Jan becomes Jankin becomes Jackin becomes Jack.

Some experts think that "Jacques" did have an influence on Jack and confusion with the French name also helped in its development, but Jack doesn't seem to ever have been associated with James in English, just John.

Ok, thank you! Adding to the confusion on this side of the Atlantic/Channel is that some French persons have adopted the English "Jack" as an alternative spelling to "Jacques", like former minister of culture Jack Lang.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is today's column:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20121127/LIVING/711279984/1696#cleveland-evans-from-scandal-to-kennedy-clan-caroline-ever-popular

It took so much space explaining the story of Caroline of Brunswick that I wasn't able to talk about the pattern of Caroline's recent use in the UK. Caroline was actually fairly popular in England and Wales back in the 1960s and has since receded. So Caroline turns out to be a name where the age associations in the UK and the USA would be very different, since the most typical Caroline in England is now around 50 years old while the most typical Caroline in the USA is only about 12.

Archived