What small thing really annoyed you?

Ahahah, sometimes I think that too.

Producer: So, there's this character, who is really really ugly, I mean, totally hideous... we immediately thought of you.

Peter Dinklage: Oh. :frown5:

But Tyrion's part got him an Emmy and a Golden Globe, so I guess he's quite happy in the long run. :cool4:

If they had actually cast an ugly person, audiences would not like Tyrion. We're fickle that way, and tend to dislike unattractive characters that we see. I think they thought of him for his acting skill, or so I hope.

Ice being melted down.

Any sentence which has the words Ned Stark and traitor.

Dany (foolish girl that she is) referring to the Starks as dogs. Especially when she doesn't know what her retarded father did to them.

Especially with the knowledge that there were only 4 known copies...and then he said, "Now there are three." Like you, that really irked me.

I never understood that scene. This is a 'medieval' society, which means a good copy is as good as the original. In fact, medieval people had no concept of 'originality'. If the copy looked like the original, then it WAS the original and could be copied again. If the books are that rare, get a couple of scribes and gifted illuminatores and have them copy the books. The scene didn't annoy me because of Joffrey the brat but because it showed that GRRM was more eager to play on modern readers' emotions than try and create a 'medieval' feeling to his 'medieval' learned people. Medieval learned people were anything but antiquarians or art collectors: You see a rare book, you don't get excited because you have a one-time chance to admire it. You get excited because now you can copy it and make it your own. You see a relic, you don't freeze with admiration. You cut it in half so you can have a piece of it. I also never understood why Tyrion thought Joffrey would appreciate the book or would take care to keep it save, he knew that brat well enough not to entrust him with his collections of rara. The scene is badly written on several levels.

Gratitude, schmatitude. Tyrion was about to use her body and her children to steal the Stark lands, and the marriage meant that she'd never be free of the Lannisters, including the lovely Joff who kept threatening to rape her. I was annoyed that Sansa didn't go all spearwife on his ass.

I was annoyed at Sansa for being such a... unpleasant person.

Neither she or Tyrion wanted that marriage, that was clear. And Tyrion was protecting her since he got to KIng's Landing, not to mention probably the only person there really kind to her. So she decided to humiliate him - taking into account his family, the Lannister, already jape of Tyrion - in front of everyone around, what a brave act. Sansa does not have guts to stand up to Cersei, or to Joffrey, she know how it would end, those are cruel people. So instead she unleashes petty cruelty - exploiting the fact Tyrion's physical deformity he was born with, no less - because he cannot do anything about it, and won't retaliate. What a fine act of internal strength.

Almost as good as the fine act of Tyrion threatening a slave in ADWD. Oh, I know the magnitude is different, but the basics are the same: taking out your frustrations on people that can't do anything about it.

Tyrion was about to use her body and her children to steal the Stark lands

But he didn't do it when practically anyone else in Westeros would have. If we are going to use Sansa's upbringing as an excuse for her deluded behavior ("she was taught to believe...."), then Tyrion can be excused for being loyal to his family.

I was annoyed that Sansa didn't go all spearwife on his ass.

Hell, that would be preferable to all the fake "courtesy is a lady's armor" crap. Because that's ALL she does. She never takes an active part in anything.

If they had actually cast an ugly person, audiences would not like Tyrion. We're fickle that way, and tend to dislike unattractive characters that we see. I think they thought of him for his acting skill, or so I hope.

It is said that he is also too tall.

Ahahah, sometimes I think that too.

Producer: So, there's this character, who is really really ugly, I mean, totally hideous... we immediately thought of you.

Peter Dinklage: Oh. :frown5:

But Tyrion's part got him an Emmy and a Golden Globe, so I guess he's quite happy in the long run. :cool4:

I'm sure Peter Dinklage knows very well why they immediately thought of him - he is probably the most well-known and successful "whatever the proper term for a smaller person is now" actor. I doubt he's worried that they were like, "oh we need an ugly guy, let's get Peter Dinklage." It was the height they were thinking of, not anything else. I wonder if it's actually a fun ego boost that people are like, 'oh, he's too handsome/attractive for this part.'

I never understood that scene. This is a 'medieval' society, which means a good copy is as good as the original. In fact, medieval people had no concept of 'originality'. If the copy looked like the original, then it WAS the original and could be copied again. If the books are that rare, get a couple of scribes and gifted illuminatores and have them copy the books. The scene didn't annoy me because of Joffrey the brat but because it showed that GRRM was more eager to play on modern readers' emotions than try and create a 'medieval' feeling to his 'medieval' learned people. Medieval learned people were anything but antiquarians or art collectors: You see a rare book, you don't get excited because you have a one-time chance to admire it. You get excited because now you can copy it and make it your own. You see a relic, you don't freeze with admiration. You cut it in half so you can have a piece of it. I also never understood why Tyrion thought Joffrey would appreciate the book or would take care to keep it save, he knew that brat well enough not to entrust him with his collections of rara. The scene is badly written on several levels.

I thought the fuss was because it was written by "Kaeth's own hand" or something like that? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there may have been other copies made by other people, but these four were special because they were made by the original person (who probably had better things to do than go around copying his own work hundreds of times).

However, I did think it was pretty stupid of Tyrion to give something that valuable to a little twit like Joffrey. Did he actually think that Joffrey would cherish it and hold it close to his heart or something?

Tyrion was about to use her body and her children to steal the Stark lands

But he didn't do it when practically anyone else in Westeros would have. If we are going to use Sansa's upbringing as an excuse for her deluded behavior ("she was taught to believe...."), then Tyrion can be excused for being loyal to his family.

I was annoyed that Sansa didn't go all spearwife on his ass.

Hell, that would be preferable to all the fake "courtesy is a lady's armor" crap. Because that's ALL she does. She never takes an active part in anything.

Even though Sansa was forced to "adhere" to a Lannister, I thought she was being loyal to her family by refusing to give "aid and comfort" to the enemy in any way. It may be Tyrion's duty to secure a Lannister claim to Winterfell, but it is clearly her duty to prevent that from happening. If Sansa did so unwittingly at least that amount of resistance was better than nothing.

But I agree that Sansa is too damn passive. It would have been so satisfying to me if she snapped when Cersei told her she was being marched to the Sept to be married to the gargoyle, and tried to scratch the Queen's eyes out as an overture to a rampage, but clearly GRRM did not have my preferences in mind when he wrote the series, so, oh well.

@ The Snow King Forgive me, but I also think it's comical that you think that a girl or woman who is taken by surprise and forced to marry a man who is undesirable for many reasons should be, or even could be. "pleasant" to her unwanted ball and chain. And what the hell would Sansa and Tyrion talk about, anyway? Her future as a permanent hostage of the Lannisters? Whether or not she would be murdered if she gave birth to a male heir? How she's going to avoid being raped by Joffrey? The details of the Red Wedding? I actually dislike the character of Sansa, but limiting her conversation to formalities was probably the best Sansa could do considering she'd never stick him with the pointy end (or throw him down a flight of stairs, or out a window, or poison his wine . . . )

When you say Sansa humiliated Tyrion in front of his family, are you talking about her refusal to kneel at the ceremony? So what -- she was being humiliated 1,000 times more by a wedding that was a secret and suprise only to her. Think, too, of the implications of bending the knee. Sansa was not so much being married to Tyrion as to a Lannister (Tyrion, Lancel, any Lannister who could get it up, as far as Tywin was concerned) and she refused to bend the knee to a Lannister. She gave her enemies a teeny tiny ladylike finger, and as I've said before, if that was all she could do, then good on her for doing it.

Sorry if I've derailed this thread, I don't mean to turn this into yet another Sansa thread, but damn the idea she should be grateful to Tyrion for (as far as we knew at the time) sealing her doom just gets my girly goat.

When Stannis said “Dwarf or leech, this killer served the kingdom well. They must send for me now.” after murder of Joffrey.

I mean, really Stannis? You think they are gonna send for you? There is Tommen you know. Even if there isn't any heir other than yourself, Lannisters wont give you the Iron Throne.

I thought that was a huge insult to Stannis' intelligent by GRRM.

You Sansapologists are relentless. I'll re-post something from another user that I think sums it up well:

I was annoyed at Sansa for being such a... unpleasant person.

Neither she or Tyrion wanted that marriage, that was clear. And Tyrion was protecting her since he got to KIng's Landing, not to mention probably the only person there really kind to her. So she decided to humiliate him - taking into account his family, the Lannister, already jape of Tyrion - in front of everyone around, what a brave act. Sansa does not have guts to stand up to Cersei, or to Joffrey, she know how it would end, those are cruel people. So instead she unleashes petty cruelty - exploiting the fact Tyrion's physical deformity he was born with, no less - because he cannot do anything about it, and won't retaliate. What a fine act of internal strength.

The person who has been by far the most kind to her, the one who saved her from being stripped naked and beaten senseless in front of the entire court, he's the one that gets the brunt of her shittiness. Because she is kind of a coward. Oh yea, sure, embarrass Tyrion. That's really giving the finger to the Lannisters when everyone else thinks he is a joke, too.

Knowing that Old Nan is Ramsay Bolton's prisoner in the Dreatfort (and Theon recalling that women scream the loudest down there...) is a little unsettling to me.

D: I always wondered what happened to Old Nan because IIRC Bran and the others didn't see her or many women among the dead. I just figured she was killed there and they didn't find her body. Poor Old Nan. :(

Edited to add: Going through "So Spake Martin" and I just now happen to read GRRM's answer to a fan inquiring on this: "Most of the women and children from Winterfell are still alive, though they are not in a good place by any means." :(

I'm sure Peter Dinklage knows very well why they immediately thought of him - he is probably the most well-known and successful "whatever the proper term for a smaller person is now" actor. I doubt he's worried that they were like, "oh we need an ugly guy, let's get Peter Dinklage." It was the height they were thinking of, not anything else. I wonder if it's actually a fun ego boost that people are like, 'oh, he's too handsome/attractive for this part.'

It was just a joke!

I know that Peter Dinklage was cast because he's a wonderful actor, and because he has a size suitable to play Tyrion (even if GRRM said he's too tall).

I thought it was just funny to imagine his first reaction.

No one in the books mentions the irony and wastefulness of fighting the wildlings to keep them out in book 3, then saying "come right in" halfway through book 5.

Stabbing the LC could be taken as commentary on his policies...

it isnt courageous on Tyrion's part because he was sent by Tywin to straighten Joffrey and the whole mess at KL out and has the piece of paper to prove it.

That's like saying it isn't courageous for a wartime soldier to carry out his mission because he was only following orders. Sometimes it takes bravery to do your duty. This was his KING, a sadistic, twisted little fuck of a king who could have easily had his head off for such insolence. Bravery is a quality in Tyrion. We see it so many times, not the least of which being the battle on the Blackwater.

I think she can be excused for feeling a little overwhelmed and beset.

Fine. She's excused. But I'm asking for one instance of genuine kindness and/or empathy toward Tyrion. Not courtesy. Kindness. Be human instead of a little bird. She could see for herself that Tyrion was a victim of Joff's bullying almost as much as she was.

Good point about being Cat's daughter. Cat can be really horrible, but she is somewhat redeemed because she is motivated by love for her children. And yes, Sansa does have some good moments with other characters; it just irks me that none of those moments are with Tyrion. And it irks me that she is terrified and repelled by Sandor and Tyrion. They speak so much sense to her (especially Sandor) and all she can think about is how ugly they are. Superficial little twerp. May the Others take her.

Eh while I'm a Tyrion fan (although the first half of ADWD he was a total douche) you can hardly blame Sansa not feeling grateful. There's nothing for her to feel grateful about. Joff openly threatened to rape her, made her look at her father's severed head and was the one who ordered her father's death. All under the tutalidge of Cercei, the one she trusted and betrayed her. Was Tyrion going to stop them even if she married him? I doubt it and so must Sansa. She knew she was in trouble and the moment of getting raped by Joff was drawing ever closer. Not only that her family lands would've gone to the ones who killed all her family and friends. She was basically reduced to a breeding mare and a rape buddy, and ones she outlived her usefulness she would likely be killed. Yeah I'm not seeing why she should be grateful.

As for her being superficial. Well all girls (and boys I suppose) when they're young go for looks first. Sansa wanted Loras and the Lightning Lord, not the Hound and the Imp. Same goes for Dany, she wanted blue fop Daario because he looked hot, not ugly Jorah. Is it superficial? Yes. But young people are just like that.

Then there was her conception of what a wedding should look like. Needless to say when she got her wedding it was a murmur's fart.

Unanswered questions. Like what happened to Tyreck Lannister during the kings landing riot and who really set that assassin to kill Bran.

It has yet to be revealed what happened to Tyreck. However, if you want to learn about the assassin sent for Bran, reread Tyrion's PoV during the gift giving on Joffrey's wedding day.

Archived