What small thing really annoyed you?

Not annoyed, but made me really sad: the scene where Arya and Sandor are working in the village and there is a little girl about Arya's age following her around just wanting to be friends, and Arya grabs her doll soldier, rips its stuffing out and says "now he looks like a real soldier." What a heart-wrenching scene.

@Honor is a Horse, related to that thing about Catelyn, it annoys me whenever someone (usually in the real world) claims that Cersei is a good mother. She's protective, yes, but also abusive and posessive, and spoilt Joffrey way too much. She even considers him a good king and son (compared to Tommen) prior to her walk.

:agree:

Just the idea of Melisandre burning down Winterfell's godswood to the ground annoys me to no end.

Oh gods yes. Her burning of the Seven really pissed me off. If theres one thing thats my berserk button, its religious intolerance.

I absolutely understand why she did it, and I wouldn't criticize her for it at all, but it's very clear that she knew that Tyrion wanted her to kneel and she chose not to on purpose out of anger. I don't blame her at all, but I did find it a little sad for Tyrion.

Mmhmm

LOL, sometimes I think Mormont's crow is my favorite character. At least it seems to know what's going on and acts to influence events.

Yes. Mormont's raven is awesome.

What little bits really steam my broccoli?

Sansa and Jeyne Poole making fun of Arya and Jeyne neighing every time she passed by. Not cool.

Craster. Ewww.

Anything that comes out of Shae's mouth.

Ygritte never did say what it was that Jon Snow didnt know. I really wanted to know what it was he didnt know....

The reforging of Ice and one of the new weapons from it going to Joffrey of all people. :ack:

:agree:

Oh gods yes. Her burning of the Seven really pissed me off. If theres one thing thats my berserk button, its religious intolerance.

. . .

The reforging of Ice and one of the new weapons from it going to Joffrey of all people. :ack:

1) The beyotch not only burned the symbols of another religion, she burned art. With a person! Mel should die for that alone.

2) The destruction of Ice and its transformation into two tacky Christmas swords was, to me, the straw that broke the camel's back regarding my opinion of the Lannisters -- and I already hated them!

1) The beyotch not only burned the symbols of another religion, she burned art. With a person! Mel should die for that alone.

2) The destruction of Ice and its transformation into two tacky Christmas swords was, to me, the straw that broke the camel's back regarding my opinion of the Lannisters -- and I already hated them!

1) While Melisandre is an intriguing character, that is INDEED one thing i cannot forgive of her. Ever.

2) Oh yeah. I like Jaime and Tyrion but even they annoy me. (And i initially dug Tyrion from the get-go. But ADWD made him so very... :ack: )

WE ARE IRONBORN

WE DO NOT SOW

I CROWN MYSELF A KING

LETS INVADE THE ONE PLACE THAT DOSNT CARE

THE STARKS KILLED MY SONS(somehow forgetting they where following their leige)

THEON YOUR STUPID AND YOUR PLAN SUCKS

that and reading all those Dorne chapters and the only thing that happened is Darkstar

edit: completely forgot i already posted on page 13 :P

Small moment? Annoying?

Every time that Robert Baratheon calls Jaime Kingslayer and laughs when he is unhorsed during tourneys and envies Jaime for being sexy and slim and still the finest warrior, while he is too drunk to do anything.

Every time that Ned treats anyone who isn't a Stark with contempt because they are not as honourable as he is. I love Ned, but this is annoying.

Illyrio's lust for Dany. I don't remember the exact quote, but it's essentially, "Dany's so hot that I had to have sex with someone else just to control myself."

It's just so... :ack: especially given Dany's age. I just can't accept the sexualization of very young girls, no matter how many times I try to view everything from a Westerosi perspective.

Not the way Joffrey died necessarily, but the way George wrote his death didn't really feel good at all. As sad as some deaths hae been, I think this is the only one I didn't like reading too much (apart from the actual event that he was in fact dead)

I don't mean big scenes such as the red wedding but just little things that were irritating.

For instance I was really annoyed during the siege of Riverrun, when Ryman Frey turns up to stop Jaime having Edmure beheaded and we see that Ryman has given a camp follower Robb's crown.

Also I got really annoyed when the Freys lied to Wyman Manderly about the red wedding in front of Davos and seemed to convince him.

So what small moments really annoyed you guys?

The end of ADWD where Dany seems to have finally cracked and given up on being merciful and reconcilitory towards her enemies. IMO Martin went out of his way to hammer this development across with Mirri Maz Duur, Mereen and other parts of Danys arc. I mean, Daenerys has always been a bit grey and she is this series Sauron. However, I prefered the idea of her being a Tyrion shade of grey who is opposed because shes percieved as being a "Dark Lord on a black dragon come from the East to conquer Westeros" rather than a CoK Stannis grey who is borderline off the rails and difficult to sympathise with as he goes against characters we like. Chiefly Tyrion and swears hes coming for the Starks when he meets Catlyn. I know others might disagree with me on that, but the likes of Davos essentially exist to point out the bad points about Stannis. She could have been a Tyrion type if she was just fighting Essosi, Cersei, Euron and even Aegon. But against the various Starks, cheifly Rickon n Sansa (who seem set to return same time as her) and even SOS Stannis I think shes set to be cast as too one-sided a villain during WoW. I just felt it set a very dangerous tone and conjured in my head images of her doing other toxic things like killing Tyrion and Jorah for being traitors. Even I would struggle if she did something like that.

as someone pointed out, asoiaf is a tragedy. so, as much as I was saddened by some losses and injustices, I do get them in a literary sense. some (really) small things, though, not concerning tragedy, were truly unnecessary, in my opinion. like people only nibbling at the food or not eating when they're worried/angry. iirc that only ever happened to distressed ladies, also, so it feels a bit like the old (and appaling) thing about how gross it is when women enjoy food and eat heartily or whatever. it is a recurring thing throughout the books, females refraining to eat for one reason or another. it bugs me. there's other stuff but I wanted to focus on that.

edited for typo

i dont like the fact that Ice was melted down but not because of sentimental reasons,

valyrian steel is so valuable beacause the secrets to making it are apparentally lost because its meant to be all imbibed with magic or something, but they somehow manage to melt down Ice and reforge two valyrian steel swords out of it with all the clouration and stuff

surely melting and reforging it ruins it?

i always kind of thought of valyrian steel as being like samurai swords relentless folded over and over and how we had similar but nowhere near as effective methods in europe at the same time as the japanese where doing this so this compensates for why they are so prised, it would be like a medieval knight with a katana.

but iths the forging of the new swords that grates me

Ha!

That Varys is somehow the only person who knows about and makes effective use of the Red Keep's secret passageways. It's common knowledge that Maegor had a number of hidden tunnels built, many of which were for escape if KL was ever in danger, so why was there never any curiosity by anyone else to find out more about them. I know the keyword here is secret but it still strikes me as odd /shrug.

I totally agree, what really bothers me too is that he somehow has children up there who spy on important noblemen. I think that, unless you attribute powers to Varys (like warging), this is quite inconceivable. I mean these kids got to be pretty smart to:

-accurately tell Varys what is going on, e.g. Varys' intel is always right while it must be easy for a child to make a mistake (e.g. the children are probably not noblemen, so their knowledge of noble houses must be quite small)

-somehow never make a sound themselves or be seen talking to Varys or moving into these secret passages

-somehow remain loyal to Varys

-despite other characters (LF, Ned, Tyrion, the Queen) knowing about these kids spying on them AND knowing about the existence of the secret passageways

1. Tyrion and the prostitute in Essos. She is a slave worker. Tyrion earned total d-bag status there. He was rich and powerful, and the daddy didn't love me theme got old right then.
  2. The treatment of sex workers in general. Most were sold into it (Essos) or probably driven into it by privation (Westeros). Satin's treatment in particular bothered me. Rapists are okay once in black but a kid born into a certain life is not?
  3. Doran's nieces and his daughter - How dare those entitled brats treat him so badly? They are powerful and feared because of him. They owe everything to Doran Martell and yet they treat him like crap. The Sand Snakes even diss the woman that was probably the love of Oberyn's life.
  4. Daario and not because Dany was sleeping with him. It is because sleeping with him made her seem so low class. If she wanted a lover could she not have picked someone better? The description of his looks and demeanor was repulsive.
  5. Dany turning into Viserys 2.0. She has become just as whiney and cruel as her brother. I loved her transformation into a powerful woman in the early part of the series. Now I just want to reach into the pages and slap her. She has abandoned Barristan, Irri, Jhiqui and Missendei in a city under siege and as an added bonus - it is plague ridden.
  6. The idea that murder is okay as long as it is "small folk." The only people to say no to this in the books have been Ned and Beric.
  7. The fact that the Northern Lords sat around in a hall with Ramsay Bolton. He hunts women with packs of dogs and they all know it. The fact that the Bastard of Bolton still breathes enrages me.
  8. The fate of Master Cressen - He loved the Baratheon boys and poor little Shireen. That old man deserved better.
  9. Ned being the only person in Westeros (except for Robert) that was outsmarted by dimwit Cersei.
  10. Qyburn just vexes me endlessly. He should have been killed, and the fact that Cersei just turns people over to him turns my stomach every time.
  11. Melisandre and Stannis making the Wildling burn scraps of wierwood. I love that they started carving faces into the trees once they were past the Wall. That is right. Show that red witch.
  12. The Iron Born making those women serve naked and the implied fate that awaited them. I detest the Iron Born because of their views on women and their freaking annoying "We do not sow" motto. They are thugs with ships and I hope someone destroys them all except the Reader who seems like a nice gent.

Archived