(Book Spoilers) GRRM's S3 Episode "Autumn Storms"

The  Halfhand

It makes sense that the deaths of all three kings are in the same season. Joffrey's death will be the cathartic release at the end of the season and the "I'm sorry" for brutally murdering Robb and Cat and the entire Northern army.

I'm assuming that Season 4 will be beefed up by bringing in some of the elements of AFFC, such as the Kingsmoot with Yara and more of an introduction to the Dornish.

Didn't George say he hated writing that scene in the books anyway? if im not mistaken, it was the final chapter of a storm of swords that he wrote, so its unlikely he'll want to write it a second time. they'll probs end s3 with RW. not sure what GRRMs gonna write. tyrion and sansa's wedding perhaps? seeing as tyrion's his favourite character?

Just a random thought, but I think you have to separate the Red and Purple Weddings by season. Season 3 should have the Red Wedding in episode 8 or 9 and then have episode 10 be the fallout from it. Primarily because people should be feeling the impact of the RW. They should be feeling terrible. Amazing stories have a profound impact on those who witness them.

I understand that many people were frustrated with the RW and debated quitting the series. And when non-readers watch it they will also be frustrated and most likely will debate quitting the show, but that's how your supposed to feel.

So if you have the Red Wedding (people feel like they just had their hearts ripped out) and then follow it up immediately with the Purple Wedding in the same season (people feeling wonderful that Joffrey is dead), then that takes away from the Red Wedding. It's one of the biggest events to happen in the books and should not be overshadowed or equaled out by other things.

People should leave Season 3 with nothing but the Red Wedding on their minds. It's harsh, yes, but it's how it should be.

This.

I also think this would be a good solution, because having the two weddings so close to each other would mean that A LOT of important characters would be killed off. I don't know how non-readers would react to this.

Personally, when I finished SoS I was pretty indifferent to the whole story during aFfC because of the weddings. The reason for this was because so many of the original characters I had invested time in had been killed off. The whole story felt empty and pointless for a moment. That's probably why I don't care very much about the Martells. Because they were introduced in the wake of the weddings.

If I had been a nonreader and I had seen both weddings in the same season, I would probably have quit watching it, because so many of the original characters would be gone. It would've felt like watching a cheap soap opera.

And also, Dany might only have three chapters until Dracarys but a lot happens in these 3 chapters:

• Dany meeting Barristan will likely be moved forwards to S3.

The winds of change now seem to be blowing elsewhither on that particular plot element. We’ll know for certain soon enough.

"My standard for verisimilitude is simple and I came to it when I started to write prose narrative: fuck the average reader. I was always told to write for the average reader in my newspaper life. The average reader, as they meant it, was some suburban white subscriber with two-point-whatever kids and three-point-whatever cars and a dog and a cat and lawn furniture. He knows nothing and he needs everything explained to him right away, so that exposition becomes this incredible, story-killing burden. F*** him. F*** him to hell."

dude this quote is so epic. thank you for posting it.

And also, Dany might only have three chapters until Dracarys but a lot happens in these 3 chapters:

• Dany meeting Barristan will likely be moved forwards to S3.
  • We've got the stuff on the ship, with some exposition on dragons and Dany's decision to go to Yunkai.
  • Then we meet the Unsullied.
  • Daario is being cast for S3 so Dany's negotiations with the Storm Crows can be moved here as well.
  • Then there's Jorah's speech to Dany about Rhaegar and honour.
  • There's Dany and Jorah's kiss which will doubtless send TV viewers wild.
  • And no doubt Dany's lesbian scene will be given a good 10 minutes by HBO :P
  • Then we have Dany meeting with the slavers and promising them a dragon.
  • And then Dracarys.

Surely that's enough for Dany to appear in 8 episodes. Not stretched out at all.

This is a really great outline of how they should plot out Dany's story. Good stuff man.

But I just want to add one more thing to your list. Jorah's story of Lynesse. Especially the line about her looking like Daenerys. I really enjoyed that story and they didn't include it in season 2. Which personally I don't understand. Instead of putting in a great scene with some amazing dialogue (Iain Glen would totally knock this scene out of the park), they decide to add in senseless drama like Dany's dragons being stolen or the ridiculous Xaro/Prat coup.

I think PW will be end of season 3 primarily because they won't need Jack Gleeson back for season 4 and he will want to focus on his studies.

I thought they will film both season at once and so there is no need for PW in season 3 and they can't fill season 4 only with the afterwarts of the PW

I thought they will film both season at once and so there is no need for PW in season 3 and they can't fill season 4 only with the afterwarts of the PW

It's been stated numerous times that the seasons will not and cannot be filmed back to back. It's completely infeasible.

Was thinking about this today and I can't see how the Red Wedding could happen this episode.

Lets say it did it would give you roughly 4 hours to include:

Red wedding

Joffreys wedding

Tryions trial

Tryions escape

Battle on the wall

Stannis taking the wall

Jon getting appointed as Lord commander

At least one of Daenerys battless

This won't include samller stroies like Bran and Jamie, theres just no way they can fit it all in, I've said this from day one this series needs 12 episodes instead of 10

Was thinking about this today and I can't see how the Red Wedding could happen this episode.

Lets say it did it would give you roughly 4 hours to include:

Red wedding

Joffreys wedding

Tryions trial

Tryions escape

Battle on the wall

Stannis taking the wall

Jon getting appointed as Lord commander

At least one of Daenerys battless

This won't include samller stroies like Bran and Jamie, theres just no way they can fit it all in, I've said this from day one this series needs 12 episodes instead of 10

....what?

You mean it'd give them 10+ hours to do that, because ASOS is going to be both Seasons 3 and 4.

There is a lot to the series after the PW...2.33 books to be precise, so no lack of material. It only lacks material if they do ONLY SOS in season 4, but since they've never stuck to a 1 season, 1 book plot line, there is still plenty to write after the PW. Arya and Jon's first chapters in COK were in Season 1. Jamie and Brianne are in season 2 but what we've seen is basically the first 1/3 of their arc from SOS. So yes there is plenty to fill season 4 even with the PW in season 3.

I hope Ep 7 is the RW, though I suspect it isn't. George is still a very strong tv writer, and obviously has a strong grasp on the ours material. Unlike some, I think the other writers do a very good job, but George will do he bet. Not sure he want to do that scene, though.

OK, I started trying to read through this thread, but have failed after 2 pages (though I will go back)

My predicion is that S3 is entirely made up of ASOS; whilst S4 will be about 50% ASOS and 50% AFFC&ADWD

the split will be about 2/3 fo the way through, as makes perfect sense in terms of story telling.

the Red Wedding is not a season-ending cliffhanger, it will lose too many viewers; but is a great arc-ending for the relevant characters.

Episode 7 will be the set-up for the RW, Mormont and Glover will be sent off to find the Howland Reed, and keep Robb's will safe etc, Arya & Hound will cross the river; Jaime & Brienne will be meetin Roose, and we'll get Queenscrown and Balon going for a swim, possibly even getting Stannis' leeches, (though that's likely to be E5). KL story will be wherever it needs to be at that point, and Dany will be making a rod for her own back, whilst thinking she's doing it right.

Episode 8 will be the Red Wedding, and Arya getting KOd; and 10 will be the Purple Wedding, ending with Joffrey's death rattle, no acusations yet.

Who exactly said they are splitting up AsoS in two seasons? D&D said that they are not making a season per book. They could perfectly fit ASOS in 1,5 season and take some stuff from Feast and Dance for the last part of season 4.

I think the RW is going to be in Ep 8. And the PW in episode 10. Closing with Sam and the Wights, and Tyrions arrest.

Things like Dracarys and UnCat can be WTF clifhangers for episodes in the middle of S3 of S4. Offcourse Feast and Dance will be another 1,5/2 seasons. So George better get Winds out in less than 3 years or else it all ends in despair. :(

it was storming through basically all of the major events in ASOS, including the red wedding (in fact, that was even noted in the ghost of high heart's prophecy iirc). anyway,

autumn storms could also be a sort of play on words for the rains of castamere, which would be pretty interesting.

but it being ep 7 makes it unlikely. and judging by what a mess the HOTU was compared to how perfect blackwater (written by GRRM) was, I'm not sure i'm too hopeful of how it's going to turn out.

• 2 months later...

I sincerely doubt that we'll be getting the PW in S3. There's just not enough material for S4 after that. My projection of events:

There's actually a lot of material for season 4 after the PW, considering that chronology between story lines can be changed a bit. After the PW, there's Tyrion's trial which can be filled a lot, then Oberyn's fight, then Tyrion killing Tywin and escaping, possibly followed by a bit of DwD when Tyrion reaches Pentos. There's more happening in KL after the PW than before it.

It makes sense that the deaths of all three kings are in the same season. Joffrey's death will be the cathartic release at the end of the season and the "I'm sorry" for brutally murdering Robb and Cat and the entire Northern army.

I'm assuming that Season 4 will be beefed up by bringing in some of the elements of AFFC, such as the Kingsmoot with Yara and more of an introduction to the Dornish.

this, i don't get why people think PW has to be season 4. To me its almost surely in Season 3, they can't simply end yet another season with such a tragic wedding, there is a reason Martin put Joffrey's death in the same book, plus there's Stannis's leaches scene which has to pay off in the same season (i think they'll show Balon's death too maybe) And to the people that think Season 4 won't have enough content if PW is Season 3, as the directors said, they aren't exactly following the books season by season, they just want to finish the story no matter how many seasons it takes, its likely they'll add bits of the fourth/fifth book in Season 4.

Not only has it been stated that they are not filming them back to back but there is a lot of material after the PW, stuff that can easily be flushed out since they will have to introduce the Dornish. What there is no material between is the RW and the PW...they are supposed to be back to back and the end result of both weddings is SUPPOSED TO BE game changing. Which it why it makes sense to have the PW only and episode or two after the RW. Additionally given that with Robb and Cat they are already 1/3 of the way through their SOS story, they will have to bring aspects of AFFC and ADWD in to season 4. As a result I see no lack of material for season 4 with the PW, but season 3 without the PW gives no climax to the story for a good half of the cast.

Archived