Oberyn poisoned Tywin

jurble

i'd like to say i believe, but then i read a post where someone said they didn't think tywin lannister would ever allow himself to be put in a position where he could be poisoned by the red viper, and i have to agree. the evidence is dam near convincing, but i think in the end not enough for me to believe that ol snake was able to poison tywin.

isn't tywin regent at this point? I think if tywin asks Boros to taste his food he is not going to refuse.

He isn't. He, however, was Tywin Lannister, and everyone did what Tywin said. He certainly could have someone taste his food, even if not Ser Boros the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot, but didn't. Maybe didn't think of it. Maybe did, but considered it a sign of witness. Maybe thought no one would dare poison the mighty Tywin Lannister.

And BTW, it would help him (or Tommen) none against a slow acting poison.

My question would be , how would the Red Viper go about poisoning Tywin? If you are eating a meal with somebody who is legendary for his skills at poisoning people and you know that he hates your guts wouldn't you be super careful about drinking or eating anything during that meal. If Tywin was poisoned I'm betting it was somebody surprising who was hoping that it would seem like a natural death (Like Jon Arryn's poisoning)

i want to be convinced, i ask myself "why else did Martin go into such detail to describe how tywin's corpse was decomposing unless it was to connect it to widow's wail and the red viper?"

but the rest of it isn't convincing enough, just because tywin and oberyn and mace were all together breaking their fast isn't enough to make me think the viper was able to poison tywin, they never describe the setting, who is sitting where, what they are breaking their fast on, who is eating wht and who is drinking what,

in fact, the only thing we get is the line that "they're in the solar breaking their fast" and jaime's reaction "strange and stranger",

and i'm sure at the time we all thought jaime was simply commenting on the strangeness of mace and oberyn in the same room together, and tywin to boot, like i said, the lack of any other comments about it is why i don't believe

someone quote something or make some case i haven't read about already and convince me!

Well, sorry for killjoying but I'm not convinced. I'd like to think the Martells actually got some revenge, but...

These are all nice, but prove only one thing (which we have known anyways): that Oberyn wanted Tywin dead...

WHEN and HOW did Oberyn give this poison to Tywin, give me a quote on that, and I might get round...

I don't know how to break this to you people, but corpses rot. The smell is terrible and since Tywin died with an arrow in his gut, the content of his bowels and bladder may have been spilled. Also, he was taking a damn shit while being killed which also adds a deal to the foul smell. Another thing. Eight year old children are BOUND to get sick of the smell of ANY rotting body. As for Tyrion knowing where Tywin would be... it's not actully that hard to figure, is it? People tend to get an urge to use the bathroom at night once in a while, right?

And even if Tyrion expected Oberyn to have poisoned Tywin, how would he know which poison Oberyn used BEFORE smelling Tywin. As for Oberyin hinting at Tywin's mortality... the whole bleeding realm knew that the Martells wanted revenge. And Tywin was an aging man in his late fifties so there is absolutely no big deal about saying this in either case. And when Oberyn said this to Tyrion, he hadn't yet known of the Tysha business, so why would he let Oberyn get away with poisoning his father? And after learning about Tysha why would Tyrion kill Tywin if he knew he was poisoned and would die a painful and shameful death anyway?

I'm sorry, but I don't see the thread linking these bits together.

Very plausible, I like this theory

Smal Question: Is Tyrion still a kinslayer if we consider Tywin already death, if he was poisen he would die anyway

YES, he is still a fucking kinslayer, because he didn't kill Tywin out of mercy to spare him the assumed death by poison, but because he is a little piece of kinslaying shit who thinks he has the right to slay a man who he owes everything, only because he was taught a harsh lesson as a teen.

Well, sorry for killjoying but I'm not convinced. I'd like to think the Martells actually got some revenge, but...

These are all nice, but prove only one thing (which we have known anyways): that Oberyn wanted Tywin dead...

WHEN and HOW did Oberyn give this poison to Tywin, give me a quote on that, and I might get round...

I don't know how to break this to you people, but corpses rot. The smell is terrible and since Tywin died with an arrow in his gut, the content of his bowels and bladder may have been spilled. Also, he was taking a damn shit while being killed which also adds a deal to the foul smell. Another thing. Eight year old children are BOUND to get sick of the smell of ANY rotting body. As for Tyrion knowing where Tywin would be... it's not actully that hard to figure, is it? People tend to get an urge to use the bathroom at night once in a while, right?

And even if Tyrion expected Oberyn to have poisoned Tywin, how would he know which poison Oberyn used BEFORE smelling Tywin. As for Oberyin hinting at Tywin's mortality... the whole bleeding realm knew that the Martells wanted revenge. And Tywin was an aging man in his late fifties so there is absolutely no big deal about saying this in either case. And when Oberyn said this to Tyrion, he hadn't yet known of the Tysha business, so why would he let Oberyn get away with poisoning his father? And after learning about Tysha why would Tyrion kill Tywin if he knew he was poisoned and would die a painful and shameful death anyway?

I'm sorry, but I don't see the thread linking these bits together.

YES, he is still a fucking kinslayer, because he didn't kill Tywin out of mercy to spare him the assumed death by poison, but because he is a little piece of kinslaying shit who thinks he has the right to slay a man who he owes everything, only because he was taught a harsh lesson as a teen.

:agree:

Chuck in the fact that Tyrion is more likely to know his father's habits and a line about knowing where Tywin would be is not exactly mysterious.

Tywin took away from Tyrion the one woman that ever loved him, and then had her essentially gang-raped in front of him and then had the nerve to call her a whore, not exactly the same thing as a "harsh lesson" IMO.

Tywin took away from Tyrion the one woman that ever loved him, and then had her essentially gang-raped in front of him, not exactly the same thing as a "harsh lesson" IMO.

Provided that Tysha was a chance met girl and not a pre-paid whore... (Which I don't believe so far)

If she was, however, then yes, you are right, but Tyrion will still be a kinslaying little piece of shit no better than Cersei or Jaime or Tywin. Oh, and I know this is an ugly thing to say, and is, strictly speaking not true, but psychology is a tricky thing and in a really metaphorical and psychological meaning Tyrion also took away the only woman that ever loved Tywin or Tywin ever loved from him. (I know that was not Tyrion's fault, but if Tyrion couldn't get over Tysha and that is well like that, we should give that much to Tywin too - that it's okay that he projected his fury of losing Joanna on Tyrion)

I believe it. Oberyn knew very well that Ser Armory and The Mountain were just Tywin dogs, and were under his orders when KL was sacked and his sister was raped and murdered. He also could have had the chance to poison him during the trial so it`s a very believable theory

Archived