Oberyn poisoned Tywin

jurble

Not enough to do it for me. Certainly Oberyn wanted revenge, but Tywin knew this as well as anyone, and didn't gain his reputation by putting himself in the position to be poisoned.

Not BOOK Tywin, maybe, but he wouldn't have a high-born Northern girl as his cupbearer, either.

TV Tywin is another matter.

Just throw in a spanner or two

I think Tywin murdered Joffrey using poison that Joffrey intended for Tyrion.

Little Finger set the whole thing up - he planned to have Sansa blamed. However Joffrey stuck his hand in Tyrions pie - to put in a poison but somehow it had got into his wine.

Tywin (perhaps through Varys's little birds) got wind of it and did a switcheroo.

He may not have originally intended the kill Joffrey BUT when Joffrey laughed at Tyrion Tywin knew he had to act. Perhaps at that moment he realised that the incest rumours are true and even that Joffrey looked a little too much like Aerys

• 2 weeks later...

Perfect theory - very consistent with what I would expect from Oberyn.

As for the whole 'but he wanted to have a confession' stuff:

Oberyn knew he risked his life when he became Tyrion's champion. He could have used a slow-working poison as a back-up plan. If he won the fight, he could have given Tywin an antidote to undo the damage. If he died, he would die with the knowledge that - without the antidote - Tywin would be dead too.

I think the evidence is strong enough to make a real case for it, however, I don't think Tyrion knew about it. I think that Tyrion's line about knowing he'd find him in the privy was because it was the middle of the night, and he wasn't in bed with the naked Shae. Where are you right after sex in the middle of the night if you're not in your bed?

i had my money on oberyn murdering one or tow lannisters since reading his arrival at K.L

coz dorne will not simply forget what happened to elia and the children

and then i believed it completely while reading the topic and matching it with my thoughts on tywin's funereal

• 2 weeks later...

The problem i have with this theory is that The Red Viper seems the type to want Tywin to be alive to see his House destroyed and his line ended. Poisoning him at this point almost seems to be letting him off too easy.

I agree that there is evidence that Tywin was poisoned but with his multiple enemies there is a lot of suspects including Varys, Littlefinger and even Cersie ( Tywin had threatened to force her to remarry and she lost most of her power when Tywin returned to Kings Landing)

Doesn't tywin's bowels loosening while he died negate that theory afterall the poison was supposed to stop him from going to the toilet, also it would take over a month for someone to die of constipation

Notice that his bowels didn't moved until he was dead (that's the point), and he was in the privy for some time (long enough for Tyrion strangle Shae, grab the crossbow, etc). About the death taking over a month, that was exactly what Oberyn wanted: a long, painful and humiliating death for the man responsible for the death of his beloved sister.

wow, I'm a believer now, seems really probable, as we know the viper was poison expert, he's really badass, he can take some credits in Tywin's death and in the Mountain's death as well.

He's only purpose to be at KL was to make justice with his own hands, he was tired of waiting the King's justice, Dorne never swallowed the story, that they would receive the justice by receiving the head of the mountain and I think they have intentions to do something about Ser Amory Lorch if I'm not mistaken

Again, congratulations about the theory, very likely to be true

Doesn't tywin's bowels loosening while he died negate that theory afterall the poison was supposed to stop him from going to the toilet, also it would take over a month for someone to die of constipation

Once you die everything releases bowels, bladder, stomach contents...The point of the slow acting poison is to cause pain and suffering. When Arienne is speaking with her father after her stint in captivity, he is angry that Tyrion took away their chance to kill Tywin. I took that as he was waiting for him rot from the inside out.

Archived