[BOOK SPOILERS] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

Howdyphillip

Tyrion and Shae's scene made me cry, if only because of Dinklage the legend.

"You little shit" to Jon from Qhorin was classic.

Luwin's death was horrible, I cried just as much as I did when I read it.

While I have a lot of problems with this episode, I have to say that the majority of actors did fantastically with what they had to work with, and I think it is them that saved this episode, if only a little bit. Sophie Turner as Sansa was brilliant, Varys is a constantly immense character, Joffrey is played superbly, as are Cersei and Tyrion, and it was good to see a bit of Jaime, Brienne and Catelyn. So kudos to them all.

Oh, why is everybody so impressed with the fact that Tywin's horse did what he did in front of the throne room, apart from it being from the books (though that might be enogh, really)? It is just a silly joke, I think.

Well, I think it is more than just a joke as it symbolizes the bulls**t that is coming out of everyone's mouths in the throne room. I am glad they kept it in for that reason.

Bran and Rickon meeting up with Luwin under the heart tree just before Luwin dies - I cried. That was brilliant. The scenes in Winterfell and Theon's story were the most compelling to me this season.

Kudos to all the actors. I think everyone was fantastic this season with whatever material they had to work with. Luwin was a real standout this season, which is why I probably started crying at his death scene, as was Varys.

One thing that was an improvement in the second season was the increase of SCALE. They definitely upped the "epic factor" this time around. From the sweeping landscape shots of the Red Waste, Beyond the Wall, Harrenhal and King's Landing to the fantastic Battle of Blackwater...this season has managed to capture the expansive nature of the book series that the first season missed.

Tywins Horse - The one thing I wanted most from the novels so simple, so easy, so gross, but the meatphor speaks volumes.

Alfie Allen - "Do you know whats its like to be told you are lucky to be someones prisoner!" Anyone who used to yell or mock Theon whenever he came on screen had to have shut their mouths at that point. What a strong conversation between him and Luwin. I almost wish I hadn't read the books, because of the non-book readers who I was watching with. When Luwin told Theon to go to the Nights Watch every single one gasped and one even said "Oh my god if Theon goes to the Nights Watch he is my new favorite character!" Tyrion and Theon need to meet up at some point because after all the shit they go through id love to see alfie and peter do a scene again together. It would be the complete opposite of the first meeting in season 1.

Varys - Goddamn is that good casting. Just so mysterious and weirdly confident. Amazing.

Littlefinger - The same as Varys. These guys are amazing. Proof that you dont have to be as buff as Drogo to powerful.

Visual Effects - :). Wights, Dragons, Direwolfs, Castles...They can do it all. Amazing.

Edd, Grenn, and Sam - The comedy with them I always find hilarious. And they are in the thick of it. Three normal guys in a supernatural nightmare. I could watch an episode of just the three of them.

David and Dan - Great work. Haters will hate but they will keep making great televison and getting emmys of course.

GRRM - Of course I couldn't have even watched the show without this guy. I hope he enjoys it as much as I do. The telvesion show and books are seperate entertainment and two ways I can just loose myself in this world.

:agree: You stole a lot of what I wanted to say!

Jon getting smacked by his own sword by Ygritte. I told my husband, I need to do that more.

House of the Undying - Better than in the books. I'm almost started crying when Drogo and the baby were in the tent but I laughed when Drogo told the Great Stallion to go fuck himself. And dragons rock!

Jaime and Brienne - I'm so looking forward to next season.

Sam - My sixth favorite POV character! I smile each time he's on screen. You go Sam the soon-to-be Slayer!

All the foreshadowing of not only what's to come in the next season, but the books as well. These chracters are just going to continue to grow and change. It'll be wonderful and heartbreaking to see.

Big thanks to HBO for putting this show on. Can't wait for April 2013!

There were so many great things about this episode. The throne room scene in King's Landing brought so much from book to screen and made it clear even more what a rehearsed show the whole affair was.

I liked the Theon/Luwin scene a lot. Really great chemistry there. I actually liked the fact that in the end the non-book-readers are left confused as to who burned Winterfell. Otherwise it would have taken a lot of the surprise at the Bolton's betrayal.

The Qarth scenes with the HotU and the sacking of Xaro's palace were well done. So glad to see all three dragons and to have them save Dany together. It was a terrific idea to use existing sets for Dany's visions and her moving from room to room. And Khal Drogo? That totally took me by surprise.

:agree: You stole a lot of what I wanted to say!

Jon getting smacked by his own sword by Ygritte. I told my husband, I need to do that more.

House of the Undying - Better than in the books. I'm almost started crying when Drogo and the baby were in the tent but I laughed when Drogo told the Great Stallion to go fuck himself. And dragons rock!

Jaime and Brienne - I'm so looking forward to next season.

Sam - My sixth favorite POV character! I smile each time he's on screen. You go Sam the soon-to-be Slayer!

All the foreshadowing of not only what's to come in the next season, but the books as well. These chracters are just going to continue to grow and change. It'll be wonderful and heartbreaking to see.

Big thanks to HBO for putting this show on. Can't wait for April 2013!

Yes Jamie and Brienne teaser was fantastic.

And I agree with Sam I've read people who don't like his chapters and I don't understand it. He's smart always thinking and intresting. I also loved how of all the people to see that army its the biggest coward! My real question is how will he get out of there...dragon glass or will cold hands decide to make a early appearance...I hope the latter :P

Really, cause this is nothing other than an example of EXTREMELY BAD WRITING. as I would like to see how the writers plan to explain how Sam survives that with his life. I guess they're bring all new meaning to Sam the slayer?

How did Will survive in the pilot episode when he faced down with an Other? He cowered and fell to his knees in submission. Pretty interesting if you ask me.

I said this in another thread....I think if they don't see you as a threat (ie: big craven) then they'll leave you alone. What could sad little Sam have possibly done to them in that moment? They saw him as so insignificant as to not even lift a finger against him. We book readers know that Sam ends up being the only character in the series thus far to actually kill an Other but, in this moment, he does seem pretty pathetic and harmless.

While I have a lot of problems with this episode, I have to say that the majority of actors did fantastically with what they had to work with, and I think it is them that saved this episode, if only a little bit. Sophie Turner as Sansa was brilliant, Varys is a constantly immense character, Joffrey is played superbly, as are Cersei and Tyrion, and it was good to see a bit of Jaime, Brienne and Catelyn. So kudos to them all.

Well said. The casting of these actors and actresses was superb across the board. I think it's in their amazing performances that keep all of us conflicted about the changes. Because while we may dislike the changes, the acting is always so amazing.

I don't know who I want to win the Emmy for Supporting Actor more, Dinklage or Allen. They both have completely blown me away. And while I think Emilia Clarke is a phenomenal Daenerys, I think Maisie Williams takes the cake with her portrayal of Arya. She truly is an amazing actress and I hope she wins an Emmy.

And my praise has barely scratched the surface of all the other amazing performances in this season. Varys, Sansa, Cersei, Joffrey, Littlefinger, Stannis, Davos, Melisandre, Jorah, Dolorous Edd, Sam, the Hound, Bronn. Just to name a few

I don't know who I want to win the Emmy for Supporting Actor more, Dinklage or Allen.

Is there are reason they can't get "Best Actor" or whatever, or is there a requirement of a certain amount of screentime? I feel that a show like this has a lot of leads more than it has no leads.

How did Will survive in the pilot episode when he faced down with an Other? He cowered and

fell to his knees in submission. Pretty interesting

if you ask me.

The difference being that Will was facing ONE other, while Sam was surrounded by a horde. Where I could see Will running from one, I think even the World's biggest optimist would consider Sam as good as dead considering the situation.

I'd like to thank the adaptation for giving me some different insight than what I read. It's always good to get a different perspective. I always thought of Varys as a "bad guy." The show has made me think that he isn't. He's motivated by doing what he thinks is best for Westeros. I never read Theon as a sympathetic character, even as Reek. However, the show has made me realize that he's had an awful life. He's not excepted by anyone. He's Ironborn, so Balon doesn't give a shit. The Starks never treated him like a true son. He's lost. It's sad. He never wanted to be a "bad guy." He just wanted to be noticed. I never would have had these thoughts if it wasn't for the adaptation.

Is there are reason they can't get "Best Actor" or whatever, or is there a requirement of a certain amount of screentime? I feel that a show like this has a lot of leads more than it has no leads.

I think they, as in HBO, submit all actors/actresses as supporting, to reinforce the idea that there is no "lead" actor or "main" character. Hence why Dinklage was nominated as Best Supporting Actor instead of Best Lead Actor.

When the Other on the horse came up, I was sure it would be an early glimpse of Coldhands. I guess is wasn't but I absolutely LOVED what was on that horse. I've read a lot of complaints, but I thought it was fantastic. Cold and blue and incredibly scary. I always liked Sam, too. I felt sorry for him for being so obviously suited for the Maester's College & his father denying him that.

Kudos also to the wonderful personality Alfie has given to Theon. It makes me feel very sorry for what becomes of poor Reek. He's really done a wonderful job of making Theon a well rounded character with real insecurities. I, too, am liking Theon much more than I had in the books.

Varys - Goddamn is that good casting. Just so mysterious and weirdly confident. Amazing.

Too true. Try doing a Google picture search for Conleth Hill ... in my wildest dreams I would not have detected Varys underneath that thick shock of grey hair and the bushy walrus mustache.

Archived