[BOOK SPOILERS] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

Howdyphillip

And once again, I will start this out with crediting CrypticWeirwood for the idea behind this thread. I will give fair warning that If I don't hear from him/her by next year, I will completely abscond the idea and claim it as my own to gain all the vanity of the brilliance of its creation.

This is a hard one, as I believe that there is much to scoff, but lets leave that to the other threads and lift our glasses and say a toast to all of the things we enjoyed about this episode. so... without further ado...

Here's to...

Crew and shot shout outs

Dragons, Direwolves, White Walkers, and Weights who by the magic of film have become real.

Horse shit - You think it is hard to get a horse to run on command, try this. One of two things happened in real life here. Either a cameraman sat with a focused shot below a horses ass waiting on the poo to fall, or one lucky grip had the distinct pleasure of carrying around fresh dung and then dropping it just out of sight of the camera while placing himself right above a horses ass. Either way, that shot was above and beyond the call of duty.

The Wierwood tree - I don't know exactly how this location was made, and I am kind of spoiled from seeing it so much from the first season, but if I were to ever build a dream home, I would want that setting as my backdrop.

Cast by character name

Tyrion and Shae - I wept reading about the end of you as I knew that Tyrion loved her. How much more will I weep now the story is that there was a time that she loved him back.

Varrys - There is not a single second that you are on screen that you do not command my full attention.

Joffrey - You are an impeccable little shit. You are perfect in your flaws

Ros - "Momma (and some book readers) says she the devil, but I like her... and I've seen her boobies and I like dem too"

This line was stolen from Waterboy

Theon - You have made it possible to understand the misunderstood. A battle Cry for the ages, or 30 seconds give or take.

Luwin - I can still believe that you are not dead

Daneraes - Will you give up the Iron Throne to defend your children?

Drogo - How did you do it? How did you make me feel anything while wearing heavy eyeliner and cussing in a completely made up language while holding a baby with a toupee? I'm not sure, but I was touched anyway.

Here's to:

Sansa's little smile

Theon's rage at the hornblower

Alfie Allen's acting and his ability to bring Theon to life while adding even more layers to a beloved character of mine.

Maester Luwin counseling Theon with some very wise advice

Dany getting back in the game and her season one badass self resurfacing again

Jaqen and Arya's goodbye

Natalie Dormer as Margaery and she makes a character I care not for in the books more interesting to me

Finally we are seeing what Tyrion thinks he sees in Shae

Ending the season with 3 horn blast

:cheers:

I did not like the fact that Brienne killed her fellow Rainbow guards in the shadow baby episode, because I thought it took away her moral highground in her face-off with Jaime. But since HBO has decided to make her more badass than ever, I liked her scene as Kingsguard ruthless killer, showing Jaime Lannister that she can kill when needed just as gruesomely as he can. Two died quickly, indeed.

And I've said this already in other threads, but as disappointing as the HotU scene was, I loved the snow falling down on and obliterating the throne room.

-I loved seeing Sansa smile. She completely deserved that moment.

- Every moment with Theon was great from his frustration over the horn to his conversation with Luwin. I've been most impressed with Theon's story adaption this season.

- The scene with Osha, Bran, Luwin, and Rickon was heartbreaking to watch. Really well done. I was hoping they would keep him alive for awhile if the Reeds were never cast.

Tyrion being so nice to Pod and thanking him for saving his life.

The WW pretty much ignoring Sam. This didn't bother me at all, I liked it. Mostly because the WW clearly know, Sam isn't going anywhere.

Theon did a great job with his final speech. These days "motivational battle speeches" are in every work of fantasy (just saw Snow White and UGH worst battle speech ever). For a young guy who never got recognition and pretty much spent most of his time getting it on with whatever girl would hold still long enough, I think his was spot on.

All of the above, plus something small but ingenious which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet; Arya begrudgingly admitting to Jaqen that she'll have to find Sansa. Her facial expression was just perfect, and the way she closed her eyes and winced afterwards too! Bravo, Maisie Williams.....or should I say Braavos, Mais....no, let's just leave it at Bravo.

I loved quite a bit, actually.

The Tyrion-Shae scene was touching. Cool to see Varys still trying to recruit Tyrion for Dany (Shae's: we should go to Pentos, line). Also might make her final fate all the more tragic, because if she is in league with Varys, then perhaps she hadn't betrayed Tyrion at all. Perhaps she knew Varys was going to free him but he needed her to spy on Tywin for him.

The entire court scene from Tywin's horse to Sansa's barely contained expression of joy to Littlefinger's creepiness.

Luwin giving counsel to Theon. That entire scene was pure brilliance, from the writing to the acting to the direction. Wonderfull.

Luwin saying goodbye to Bran et al.

I liked Brienne's quick work of the Stark soldiers, and the tag-line jab at the one soldier's abuse of the women.

The HOTU scenes were beautiful and magical.

The White Walkers were impressive and intimidating.

Valar Morghulis!

Loved this episode. "about time i thought he'd never shut up" "it was a good speech i didnt want to interupt" Excellent snappy dialog, Touching moments(drogo) the massive undead army, the silent look between halfhand and jon before the final words.

Just an incredible episode all around. season 3 is going to be even better.

I want to join in with the Brienne love as well. I already liked her from the books, but it was a new experience to see her in action kicking ass.

Also, Shaggydog and Summer were beautiful and regal, so kudos to whoever is responsible for the direwolves.

I liked the conversation between Theon and Luwin, and the whole part with Brandon, Rickon, Hodor, Osha and Luwin. Also, Sansa smiling and then being so scared after LF surprised her - a very good actress.

Stannis doing something we've all wanted to do at some point. You could tell he was thinking "Is Stannis Baratheon gonna have to choke a bitch?"

You have no idea. :drunk:

This reminds me, I particularly am glad that Stannis is showing some remorse for Renly.

Oh, why is everybody so impressed with the fact that Tywin's horse did what he did in front of the throne room, apart from it being from the books (though that might be enogh, really)? It is just a silly joke, I think.

Archived