Season 2 Over. Best/Worst NEW casting?

John Garnsey

The only things that pained me for certain characters was when the writing fell flat. Just about every Maragery scene had no natural flow to it whatsoever, especially when talking with Littlefinger. It's the most overt example of what the show is, and it doesn't really support the existence of the characterbeyond the fact that she is Loras' brother. That's the only reason I couldn't get behind the character, since she does at least hold herself right.

Never had any problems with Yara for this reason as well. Great delivery, I think, and I do agree with the casting director that her and Alfie Allen play off really well. Of course Balon stole the show before he spoke a word. Dagmer was nothing special though. Talisa is a bugbear though, because while her physical acting skills are actually quite phenomenal, the first and last conversations she has with Robb are plain writers patting themselves on the back for character building. Truly, it's not as big an accomplishment as you think it is guys!

Stannis and Davos also had some really cool playing off each other. I especially love the way Davos speaks, in a way which is both grim and naturally observant. Melisandre had a bit of forced dialogue here and there, but just that look from Clarice von Holten stole my eyes!

Xaro was actually the most natural character in Qarth, to me. The political play was extremely obtuse, but he was able to clearly express what was going on in simple terms. Cut hand = Blood pact. Came from nothing = Aristocratic society. The Spice King was annoying, and not at all in a good way. The talent was there, but again the writing was just painful. Treating Dany as a child doesn't work when she's clearly into our modern version of adulthood.

Not at all. In Qarth, she still was a spoiled child. Just as the spice king treated her. All she did was beg for help, and throw tantrums when she didn't get her way.

The Hobbit , now, even with number 3 down the road is in the can.

IMDB lists him in an , in production movie, but that would not prevent him from being in season 4.

He left that mysterious tweet nearly a year ago about having to go to Europe for a meeting.

Yet as this year ends have heard little about his future with GOT.

I am sure D and D noticed that Ian Whyte is not comfortable in the role.

I have a feeling we won't see Gregor back season 3.

Season 4 for a big scene , well we shall see.

Oh, they REALLY need to get Conan back. Failing that, replace Whyte, because I cannot abide imaginng him in the big fight.

The Best: Jaqen H'ghar

Tom Wlaschiha was a very pleasent surprise , for such little screen time, I thought he nailed Jaqen H'ghar.

I wonder what non-book readers are going to think when he does not put in an appearance next season.

My guess is that Arya will make it to Braavos near the end of season 4 ,... that instead of casting someone new he will be the Kindly Man, Wlaschiha is too good an actor not to keep on contract.

Which makes me wonder what his contract looks like?

After all Jaqen is still a character , somewhere, even by the end of novel 5.

Tom Wlaschiha was a very pleasent surprise , for such little screen time, I thought he nailed Jaqen H'ghar.

I wonder what non-book readers are going to think when he does not put in an appearance next season.

My guess is that Arya will make it to Braavos near the end of season 4 ,... that instead of casting someone new he will be the Kindly Man, Wlaschiha is too good an actor not to keep on contract.

He can always make a small appearance when he kills Pate in Oldtown. It's not really important that he has his "new" face; it's very plausible that he changed back to the way Arya knew him at some point.

Good:

Ygritte -- She's not a character I particularly enjoy or find interesting, but they absolutely nailed the casting.

Craster -- This was a pretty spot-on casting. He could have been more bearded and unkempt, but it didn't really affect the portrayal of the character, himself.

Melisandre -- Not much to say, it was just a strong casting.

Davos Seaworth -- A great Davos.

Balon Greyjoy -- Perfect.

Brienne of Tarth -- Also an absolutely flawless job.

Jaqen H'ghar -- Nailed every part of the character, and I can't much blame any of the characters for Harrenhal being so different from the novels.

Middle:

Margaery Tyrell -- This is mixed. On the one hand, I think Dormer is a fine actress, and the character is interesting. On the other hand, I can't see her as a believable "is she/isn't she" innocent Margaery, as she was in the books. There was more enigma and coyness in the novel version, but this one very quickly dispelled such traits. She ends up as more of a stereotypical Cersei foil, I think, and I'm not yet sure whether or not I prefer/like it.

Qhorin Half-Hand -- It wasn't outright bad; it was just a boring, short portrayal of the character.

Roose Bolton -- I love the character of Roose in the books, but he was a bit boring this season. I'm not sure that's a result of bad casting so much as it is limited time and not wanting to clue in next season's events, though. He certainly has potential. Heretofore, the character just seems to lack many of his most interesting and telling traits from the books.

Stannis Baratheon -- I didn't immediately love him as much as I did Melisandre or Davos, but I think more screen-time could alter that.

Talisa -- I feel kind of bad putting her in "Middle," because I thought Oona Chaplin was wonderful; however, I just did not care for the direction they took this character in the show versus the novels, and it just wasn't a very interesting or unpredictable role.

Bad:

Asha/Yara Greyjoy -- This just wasn't anything like what I pictured from the book. I've heard complaints that she ought to have been better-looking, but I disagree. The problem is with the character, not the appearance. She just comes across as far more flat than Asha from the novels. This was my biggest disappointment in casting.

New Gregor Clegane -- No comparison to Season 1's, at this point.

Xaro Xhoan Daxos -- I didn't care about this character in the novel, and I don't much care about him on the show. The actor himself did fine, but he didn't have much to work with.

One thing this thread does not mention is none of the actors are in charge of the constraints that 10 episodes and the constraints David Benioff and D. B. Weiss have in the construction of the plot flow.

Or the teleplay scripts that D&D seem to keep the writers on a short leash.

You know , one can have a good actor, yet still write bad dialog for them.

On the plus side figuring a way to fit Harrenhal into 10 episodes was handled brilliantly.

Some things like Clarice van Houten very first scene had awkwardly framed dialog and direction , it's almost as if they couldn't figure Mellisandre out until the episode 10!

D&D seemed to just give up on the Qarth story... except for some Jazz in episode 10.

All of KL worked , but George kind of laid that out on a platter for them.

I thought Gemma Whelan was fine, but D&D's really let dialog go lackluster until her last scene of the show.

I frankly like the change in Natalie Dormer character , GRRM already has the Tyrells enganged a Machiavellian scheme, so changing Margaery's character involvement from book makes me happy.

He can always make a small appearance when he kills Pate in Oldtown. It's not really important that he has his "new" face; it's very plausible that he changed back to the way Arya knew him at some point.

I am thinking that scene does not happen until season 5, and it's the kind of small sequence that gets cut.

I am thinking that Wlaschiha was so good would like to see him back for longer on-screen time.

Best:

Stephen Dillane (Stannis) -apart from the difference in physical appearance, his demeanour is pretty close to book Stannis IMO

Patrick Malahide (Balon Greyjoy)- awesome. He only had a couple of scenes, but he nailed them.

Rose Leslie (Ygritte)- stole all her scenes with Kit Harington. She's too attractive for the part, but regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing her and her endless "You know nothing, Jon Snow"s in season 3.

Liam Cunningham (Davos)- another great casting.

Tom Wlaschiha (Jaqen)- really memorable performance

Gwen Christie (Brienne)- perfect for the role.

Lucian Msamati (Salladhor Saan)- "the only true god is between a woman's legs". He only had one scene, but man did he deliver. Almost has me itching for a Davos and Salladhor spinoff

Worst:

Ian Whyte (Gregor Clegane)- BRING BACK CONAN STEVENS! He WAS Clegane. Ian Whyte is alright, but lacks the presence that Conan had. Better suited for a White Walker.

I think Gemma Whelan really needs to increase her 'sass' in upcoming seasons. She was too smug and wooden in season 2.

The actor who plays Roose is perfect for the role. I think people who dislike him don't always realize that he has to be toned down a little for television, and it worked out really well.

NO NO NO... just NO!

toned down a little? Roose on the tv show is like a puppy compared to Roose in the books!

This guy may be a good actor, but in the books Roose Bolton absolutely terrifies me! This guy i barely even noticed.

In my opinion, very bad casting. He is supposed to be very terrifying! and i missed the scary/haunting pale eyes, and his voice was totally off!

And i really don't see why they should tone him down, they made Joffrey worse than he is in the books (beating the whores?)

I loved:

Rose Leslie as Ygritte (very pretty, and love the sound of her voice)

Natalie Dormer as (a more ambitious) Margaery Tyrell ( I just love Natalie Dormer)

Gwendoline Christie as Brienne (Besides the facts that she is hot, and Brienne in the books is ugly.. but hey, i can live with a better looking Brienne)

Liam Cunnigham as Davos ( He made me like Davos! In the books i didn't really care about him)

Stephen Dillane as Stannis (great actor! I still dislike Stannis, but he portrays the character very well)

I really don't have a problem with Gemma Whelan as Asha/Yara Greyjoy. I just really don't care about the Iron Islands parts of the books/show.

In general great casting, beside Roose Bolton! he may be a good actor, but he is NOT scary at all in the show!

NO NO NO... just NO!

toned down a little? Roose on the tv show is like a puppy compared to Roose in the books!

This guy may be a good actor, but in the books Roose Bolton absolutely terrifies me! This guy i barely even noticed.

In my opinion, very bad casting. He is supposed to be very terrifying! and i missed the scary/haunting pale eyes, and his voice was totally off!

And i really don't see why they should tone him down, they made Joffrey worse than he is in the books (beating the whores?)

I think if they make him as creepy as he is in the books, it might come off as a bit corny for TV viewers. But I do agree that he needs to be more sinister. It would also help if he looked creepier physically. TV Roose should be like the Westeros equivalent of Gus Fring from Breaking Bad.

I think Roose could have been a bit more menacing as well but I'll reserve judgement until season 3 when certain events transpire and certain other characters appear that will involve Roose in a more sinister way.

Anywho,

Margaery - perfect

Stannis, Davos, Ygritte, Brienne, Jaqen, Mel, Salador Saan, Qhorin - Very good

All the Qartheen, Asha - Adequate

Balon - Kind of disappointing. Just a sour old man instead of Balon the Brave. Although Victarion and Euron will appear far more badass by contrast when they appear.

New Gregor - Utterly awful. Other than being very tall the actor has nothing about him that resembles the mountain in the slightest.

Also I'm probably in the minority but I prefer Talisa over Jeyne Westerling. In the books she is little more than a plot device with barely any personality which would not translate well to the screen. However the alteration of why Robb got with her in the first place is a little messy.

I have to say, at this stage in the books, Roose was a nobody, just some random (but cunning) bannerman. A vague sense of unease would be about the limit of it, and that much based entirely on Arya's vague sense of unease around him; which I generally wrote off to her being very vulnerable at the time.

Balon, Stannis and Davos have to be my favorites. Very well cast and very well written. After Season 1 I'm pretty much used to how nobody looks like what I imagine (and often like what's described in the text...), so I don't even factor that into the equation.

I'm on the fence with Melisandre, Talisa and Ygritte. I have to see more of them in Season 3 to make my judgement, though I'm leaning towards a positive impression. I'm kind of undecided with Jaqen too; the actor was good, but the writing of Arya's story was pretty bad and his performance suffered from that.

Guys like Rattleshirt, the Mountain 2.0 and his cronies, Amory Lorch, Quaithe, Edd, Craster and Gilly were little more than cameos.

I don't like Asha, the Halfhand, Ducksauce and Pyat Pree.

Deviation from books =/= bad writing

I only read the series (in a summer reading spree) after watching season 2 and thought her plot was very well done. Sure, now if I go back and watch it I might fall into a "what were they thinking? they're really nailing themselves in the corner" situation but it sure as hell wasn't bad writing. Think of the logistics: they only had so much time on screen and their budget was already well beyond average to do the Harrenhal raid scene. Plus, it might make season 3 start more interesting...

I only read the series (in a summer reading spree) after watching season 2 and thought her plot was very well done. Sure, now if I go back and watch it I might fall into a "what were they thinking? they're really nailing themselves in the corner" situation but it sure as hell wasn't bad writing. Think of the logistics: they only had so much time on screen and their budget was already well beyond average to do the Harrenhal raid scene. Plus, it might make season 3 start more interesting...

Logistics might explain bad writing. It doesn't excuse it or make it better.

Worst - Gemma Whelan as Asha/Yara. Not at all as sexy or awesome as in the books. Horrible. :ack:

Best - Stephen Dillane as Stannis. Such a great job, made me a Stannis fan by just saying "The Iron Throne is mine by right" in the season 2 trailer. And he got even better towards the end. :bowdown:

I feel HBO really did not greenlight Benioff and Weiss until until they were satisfied with the season one's 'box office".

I thought they did KL just right.

Were clever about fitting Arya's story into 10 episodes, hated missing Weasel Soup, but was pleasantly surprised with the Tywin-Arya Tete-a-tete.

As has been remarked , so many times, Dany's story showed some real neglect or lack of imagination , somehow too writing resources were put elsewhere. I don't think it could have been done as in the book, in ten episodes, I think with a clever teleplay writer and more effort it could have been re-imagined into something better.

Rest was handled , above average.

Seemed as if about one third of the season was squeezed by time and logistics.

Well i'm a none-book reader so not seeing WIaschiha next season is going to SUCK

You honestly should be over it by now. He DID tell Arya that 'Jaqen' was dead.

Well, when Arya starts training the House of Black and White, we find out that 'dead' is a metaphor.

In fact if one reads the chapter where Arya does her first face change (read it closely) , she notices that her face has not really changed , but to all those about her she has a different appearance.

George calls it Sorcery.

It's whats on the page and even done in the show.

(I mean the way Jaqen changes his face.)

So why is there a room full of 'faces' , I don't know, part of the magic?

Well, when Arya starts training the House of Black and White, we find out that 'dead' is a metaphor.

In fact if one reads the chapter where Arya does her first face change (read it closely) , she notices that her face has not really changed , but to all those about her she has a different appearance.

George calls it Sorcery.

It's whats on the page and even done in the show.

(I mean the way Jaqen changes his face.)

So why is there a room full of 'faces' , I don't know, part of the magic?

We are talking about how non-readers will react.

Archived