Season 2 EMMY NOMINATIONS

manh2244

Now that season 2 has ended its run and the 2012 Emmy Awards are on the horizon, who do you think will land best acting nods? Say what you will of S2 and its moderate to drastic departure from the books - the acting was, for the most part, top-notch.

Here are my initial thoughts on who could earn an acting nod:

Peter Dinklage will, without question, score another nomination for his performance as Tyrion. I would be shocked if he didn't win again. The only thing I'm wondering if whether they'll promote him in the Best Actor or Best Supporting Actor category? After he won Best Supporting actor in 2011, they moved his name to the lead spot in the S2 credits, so it will be interesting to see what happens. I personally think he should remain in the Best Supporting Actor category because this is really more of an ensemble cast, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes for Lead Actor (against Bryan Cranston? Good luck with that!)

Alfie Allen (Theon Greyjoy) was pretty phenomenal. I thought he really made this role his own and highlighted certain aspects of Theon's character - the impulsive lunacy when he and his men take Winterfell, his desperate need to prove himself to Balon and make his father proud. Maybe I'm off on this one, but I think he has a fighting chance at a nomination

Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) kept me glued to the screen with every scene she was in. The HBO series has received a lot of praise for the onscreen prowess of its child actors, and I think Maisie is at the top of the pack. Her portrayal of Arya is remarkably true to the books. Part of the reason I like Arya is because she has a certain wisdom about her that makes her wise beyond her years. MW has done a fine job of bringing this to the screen

Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister) accomplished the feat of beefing up this character's presence beyond what it is in the books. There were a handful of scenes with Tywin and Arya (scenes NOT in the book, obviously) that seemed intentionally scripted for the awards season - I could watch any of them over and over again. I personally think that the show will be rewarded for taking risks and departing somewhat from the books. If so, CD's portrayal of Tywin Lannister could be recognized

Aidan Gillen (Littlefinger/Petyr Baelish) and Conleth Hill (Lord Varys) could both score noms, but I would be disappointed if at least one of them wasn't recognized. The only reason I could see AG being overlooked is because he wasn't in as many episodes, BUT there were a few standout scenes that his character commanded. AG is also coming from The Wire, which was a critical darling (except at the Emmy Awards...). This could work in his favor. Varys is arguably the man controlling the puppet strings in Westeros, and CH effortlessly brought out the manipulative charisma that shades this character's personality. CH had a number of standout scenes, particularly those with Peter Dinklage. I think that if one of these guys is going to score a nom, it will be Conleth Hill

That's my short list. Do you agree/disagree? Have I left any obvious candidates off?

No one. This season was the absolutely worst piece of dung I've seen on television in my life. I wouldn't even air it at four in the morning on Nickeloden or MTV. The actors should be fined for participating in this and D&D should be flogged in the street. I hate them all for not living up to my unrealistically high expectations.

If I would've been able to hear the actors over the sound of my incessant whining I would probably nominate Stephen Dillane, who made an otherwise unlikable character likable. And Jack Gleeson. Wow! I don't know if he's really this evil in real life or if he's just such a good actor. Oh, and I agree about Charles Dance and Maisie Williams. They were both outstanding. Alfie Allen was excellent as well, especially in the last episode with Maester Luwin. And Dinklage was fantastic as always! I wouldn't mind if he won again. And Sophie Turner has been stellar this year!

But who's really going to be nominated? I'd say Dance and Williams.

Yet I still hate this show. I will never be satisfied with anything in my life.

For the record, here's the link to the thread on HBO's official Emmy submissions:

• Best Supporting Actor: Peter Dinklage, of course, joined by Alfie Allen, Kit Harington, and Richard Madden. As Gold Derby notes, eligible performers can submit on their own, so nothing is stopping Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Stephen Dillane, Liam Cunningham, or others for submitting themselves.
  • Best Supporting Actress: Maisie Williams, Michelle Fairley, Emilia Clarke, Lena Headey, and Sophie Turner.
  • Best Drama: Game of Thrones joins Boardwalk Empire, Luck, and True Blood.

I'd say Dinklage will be nominated for supporting again. Alfie Allen deserves it, also, but probably won't get the nomination on account of a divided vote.

Maisie Williams has been brilliant, but I think Emmy voters have historically held a bias against child actors, and she's unlikely to get a nomination.

On account of the ensemble cast, the 'leads' have all been nominated for supporting actor, and the supporting actors don't get nominations at all. As much as I love them, Dance, Gillen, and Hill really don't get enough screen time to merit a nomination.

Is Conleth Hill still credited as 'Guest Starring'? he could go for the Emmy for best Special Guest Appearance. Robert Morse goes for one every year with Mad Men which always struck me as a bit weird considering his name is in the opening credits.

Dinklage will be nominated and could win Best Supporting, though he'll be up against either Aaron Paul or Giancarlo Esposito who were both fantastic in the fourth season of Breaking Bad, an Emmy darling. I think Alfie and Maisie will be overlooked, as unfortunate as that is because they were both excellent; Maisie will get another chance next year. Lena Headey deserves a nomination if only for the 'Blackwater' episode.

These are the only people I think should get nominations for season 2:

Peter Dinklage

Nicolai Coster-Waldau

Maisie Williams

Charles Dance

Alfie Allen

Conleth Hill

Liam Cunningham

EDIT: fixing spelling

My list of nominees:

Alfie Allen - He totally gives off the unwanted suckup puppy air this season. I hated him, yet also pitied him. I love his hornblower rant.

Peter Dinklage - Nothing to be said here. Dinklage perfectly does Tyrion with the correct amount of swagger and wit. It was also good to see his more touching side this season with his moments with Shae.

Lena Headey - yet again, her portrayal of Cersei was strong and I like how the insane queen bitch was controlled. I saw a good contrast during her drunk scenes at "Blackwater" where the insane queen bitch Cersei from the books was released and I can totally see her descending into madness later as bad things start happening to Lannisters.

Charles Dance - He absolutely kills in his performance as Tywin. He is a figure of authority and is absolutely believable.

Jack Gleeson - He undoubtedly has earned Joffrey a spot on my most hated characters list since the first time I saw him ride into winterfell. Gleeson shows Joffrey's childish and destructive side very clearly, especially during his riot scenes. Loved his conflict of judgement where he has to choose between staying with the men or running with his tail between his legs.

Stephen Dillane - Truly brought out badass Stannis during the latter half of the season and his story of cats and dogs and horses sealed it for me.

Dinklage will be nominated and could win Best Supporting, though he'll be up against either Aaron Paul or Giancarlo Esposito who were both fantastic in the fourth season of Breaking Bad, an Emmy darling. I think Alfie and Maisie will be overlooked, as unfortunate as that is because they were both excellent; Maisie will get another chance next year. Lena Headey deserves a nomination if only for the 'Blackwater' episode.

I agree with this. Dinklage is for sure going to be nominated. But it will be a tough category to win. Lots of great actors in that spot.

And as much as I want Alfie and Maisie to be nominated and win. I also highly doubt they will get the recognition they deserve. Which sucks.

Well the first thing i would do is bump Peter Dinklage from Supporting to Lead Actor in a Drama, i feel like because of the nature of the show and the ASOIAF series in general no character is the lead. No one no matter how good their performance no actor will ever be considered the Lead, I believe this because i feel the story itself is the lead and all the characters are supporting it. If the world was perfect and listened to me about Peter Dinklage, these are who i would want to win for Game of Thrones.

Lead Actor - Peter Dinklage ( will win for supporting guaranteed)

Supporting Actor - Alfie Allen or Charles Dance (too hard to choose which one, but i would vote Allen over Dance personally)

Supporting Actress - Maisie Williams ( she was perfect this season, no one else touched her).

Well the first thing i would do is bump Peter Dinklage from Supporting to Lead Actor in a Drama, i feel like because of the nature of the show and the ASOIAF series in general no character is the lead. No one no matter how good their performance no actor will ever be considered the Lead, I believe this because i feel the story itself is the lead and all the characters are supporting it. If the world was perfect and listened to me about Peter Dinklage, these are who i would want to win for Game of Thrones.

Lead Actor - Peter Dinklage ( will win for supporting guaranteed)

Supporting Actor - Alfie Allen or Charles Dance (too hard to choose which one, but i would vote Allen over Dance personally)

Supporting Actress - Maisie Williams ( she was perfect this season, no one else touched her).

I like this idea mainly because it allows some other male to win an award. Dinklage is too good and will most likely always win that category, so it gives other great performances a chance to win, like Alfie Allen.

I predict two acting nominations for GOT: Peter Dinklage and Lena Headey for supporting actor/actress. There is nothing to be said for Dinklage that hasn't already been said, but Drunk! Cersei was a revelation to me. She was far more interesting than in the books; she managed to be funny, tragic, and frightening all at the same time.

I think Alfie Allen was actually the best of all of them this season, but won't be nominated. I have no reason to think this - it's just a hunch.

I don't think Maisie Williams will be nominated, but I think she deserves it. I actually think Sansa is a far more difficult character to portray than Arya, and Sophie Turner nailed it, but (1) she didn't get the kind of signature scenes you need for a nomination, and (2) she didn't get enough screen time, so no nomination for her. If I had to bet on one of the Stark girls, it would be Williams.

I think Dinklage will for sure get the nomination for the males but I prefer Alfie Allen for what everyone has already said. If an actress gets nominated I predict Lena Headey but was personally so impressed with Maisie Williams' performance. I do think that the odds are still only Peter Dinklage will be nominated overall though.

I'd like Peter Dinklage to be nominated for Lead Actor. He's got first billing in the credits and is probably the closest thing to a lead in a hugely ensemble cast like this.

I think I want this mainly because I want Alfie Allen to get best supporting actor and I don't want conflict in having to root for one over the other :P . I just think Alfie Allen has been so damn good as Theon and he acted the shit out of his role this season and he did it without scenery chewing and overselling it. :bowdown: He just straight up came off as very real.

I think Lena Headey is due for best supporting actress. I think Maise is great, but I feel this one belongs to Lena as Cersei. She was also amazing and she managed to make me feel and care for a character I was never a big fan of to begin with. It can't be said enough, her scene with Tommen in the throne room during Blackwater was one of the best scenes and moments in the series for me.

Archived