Is "dear" sexist?

Guest Raidne

So, it wasn't sexist when David Cameron said "calm down, dear" to Angela Eagle in Parliament?

In England it is down to context. An older person using it to a younger one is fine. But it is also definitely used as a put down by men speaking to women. For example, when driving and baulked by some woman driver I have been known to say out loud something like "Can't you find your accelerator pedal dear?"

In some other thread, I mentioned that some guy called me "dear" when I let him in the building a few months ago on the weekend. Totally rubbed me the wrong way. Similarly, Kal just called me dear, and says it is not in fact sexist. I have always understood that a man calling a woman who is not is SO "dear" to be sexist. Is this not the case? Discuss.

Not sexist in any way, shape or form; merely a colloquism.

As for condescension - entirely based on context; it is not condescending in and of itself. Same goes for demeaning.

NB; same goes for pretty much every other suggestion on this thread Dear, Pet, Pettle, My lover, Luv, Darling, Sweetie, Sweetheart etc etc. All are generally terms of endearment, and in generaly use in various parts of the world, and no more sexist/condescending than calling someone "sir".

Personally, I always feel that people who get offended by words shuold first question why they're offended, rather than imply that such words shouldn't be used. Of course, this doesn't mean that there are no times when the words shouldn't be used, or do become unacceptable.

So, it wasn't sexist when David Cameron said "calm down, dear" to Angela Eagle in Parliament?

it was patronising. Technically he was speaking to his parliamentary equal, the right honourable member for Wallasey. Since in context Cameron isn't the type who would normally use lass, maid, duck, dearie, my lover, love or whateveras a mode of address to his fellow subjects of HM QEII, nor if it was would the floor of the house of commons be the place for it, he was clearly using the phrase to demean her objection in particular by making reference to the annoying insurance adverts featuring Michael Winner.

It's like you've missed all the posts saying it's about context.

Yes it was, because it was David Cameron, and he's a cunt.

The right honourable member of this board's opinion is indisputable even if her language is sadly entirely unparliamentary. ;)

In England it is down to context. An older person using it to a younger one is fine. But it is also definitely used as a put down by men speaking to women. For example, when driving and baulked by some woman driver I have been known to say out loud something like "Can't you find your accelerator pedal dear?"

Im actually fine at driving, but I fall right into the stereotype here, Im awful at parking,absolutely suck at it.

Im actually fine at driving, but I fall right into the stereotype here, Im awful at parking,absolutely suck at it.

This. I once had to face the shame of allowing a man to get my car out of a space in the multi-storey for me. To be completely fair to me, which is always important, some arsehole had parked like this close to me and so blocked me in, but I had a stupid breakdown and had to be rescued by a gentleman.

I hate living up to stereotypes :lol:

This. I once had to face the shame of allowing a man to get my car out of a space in the multi-storey for me. To be completely fair to me, which is always important, some arsehole had parked like this close to me and so blocked me in, but I had a stupid breakdown and had to be rescued by a gentleman.

I hate living up to stereotypes :lol:

Lol, I know exactly what you mean - I was out with a bunch of friends from out of town and one of them got tightly blocked in and he was cursing assholes in the city up, down left and right, and I finally had to get his car out of the parking spot. He could not comprehend how the jerks in front and behind him could have left so little space to get out of the parking spot. I just explained to him the concept of parking by braille, and told him the next time not to be afraid to touch, lol. Rescuing a gentleman makes me feel like I've repaid all my rescues 100x over.

Hey, up until now I've been picturing you as a some grizzled guy with a walrus 'stache...

The thing about dear being condescending, if not sexist is... condescension is always tone and context. Ever had a sales or waitperson hit you with a "sir" (or ma'am) that might as well be "you annoying dribble of bowel snot"?

Archived