Rome II: Total War

Werthead

That is not a screenshot, it's clearly artwork. The only screenshot is the second one with various groups marching through a town square.

No it is a screenshot, just heavily photoshopped.

Just look at the details from the soldiers in ships close by and farther away, that's clearly the distance sprites (I believe they're called) jumping into action.

Just look at the details from the soldiers in ships close by and farther away, that's clearly the distance sprites (I believe they're called) jumping into action.

LOD (level of detail) sprites, yes. The screenshots have clearly been manipulated a bit, but they're both from the demo mission that was shown at Fezz and no-one's reported any major differences in the quality. Also, based on Shogun 2 with absolutely everything rammed up to the maximum, graphics of that quality are well within the engine's capability.

No. At the very best the first four ships are from the game engine and then put onto a painting with photoshop.

Want to know why it's a painting (and conversely why the second is a screenshot)? The smoke.

It does appear to be a 3D image. You can tell as the buildings get further away the ones right at the back (on the hill) take on the low-level details of 3D models at a distance. The way the buildings abut the road going up the hill also takes on that quality.

The smoke could be among the elements that are photoshopped in. In previous Total War games getting those many fires burning simultaneously was quite difficult.

It does appear to be a 3D image. You can tell as the buildings get further away the ones right at the back (on the hill) take on the low-level details of 3D models at a distance. The way the buildings abut the road going up the hill also takes on that quality.

So what you are saying is that the details of things are less the further they get away from the "camera's" perspective. Interestingly, do you know where else that happens? Paintings.

The smoke could be among the elements that are photoshopped in. In previous Total War games getting those many fires burning simultaneously was quite difficult.

The smoke in screenshot 2 is pixellated, the smoke in all the other screen grabs are not. Given that their are other details in screen 2 which definitively point out that it is from a video game engine, the fact that the smoke is not pixelleted in screen 1 points to it being not in the engine.

So what you are saying is that the details of things are less the further they get away from the "camera's" perspective. Interestingly, do you know where else that happens? Paintings.

Wait, paintings have LoD 3D models? Amazing.

From the developers:

Are these two pictures (here and here) generated by the engine?

Yup, both taken from the Siege of Carthage preview battle.

* waits for the claim that they are lying *

Why would they be lying? I've already said it's likely a couple of the ships in pic 1 are taken from the engine. Specifically the two one the front left as they have differing details to all other ships of that make in the picture. Hence Lusted isn't lying.

Gullible thy name is Werthead. You have done this every time CA has come out with a new Total War game. You pimp out everything that the developer says as Gospel. You'd think you'd have learned by now.

Gullible thy name is Werthead. You have done this every time CA has come out with a new Total War game. You pimp out everything that the developer says as Gospel. You'd think you'd have learned by now.

Yeah, because I'm such a Creative Assembly fanboy :lol:

Every time a new TW game is announced I always point out the broken AI of the games in the series, the appalling drop-off in modding capabilities per title and, in some cases, the outrageous bugs. Over the course of the last two games CA have won back some ground with fewer bugs and some moderate improvements in AI (though as many have pointed out, this may be due down to the map in Shogun 2 being smaller and restricting the AI to a few logical tactics). Rome 2 has the potential to be the best game in the series since, well, Rome 1, but CA also have form of spectacularly fucking up. It'll be interesting to see which way this goes.

The original question was whether the screenshot was an in-game image or artwork. It's an in-game image with some post-processing done on it. It's not a painting, at all. You were simply wrong to say it was. Man up and admit it rather than calling other people gullible. That's a lame response and beneath you.

I can't decide if the critism they get for the battle map AI is justified or not. When I play a TW game I am mostly trying to work on the world map, and not the battle-map. So I play defensive, try to ensure I select as much as possible the ground I am fighting on, an I try to keep my armies in support of each other.

So by the time it comes to fighting, I don't expect the AI to win, just inflict unacceptable casualties. Sometimes I get overwhelmed, but that is generally because of a less than optimal situation on the world map.

I can't decide if the critism they get for the battle map AI is justified or not. When I play a TW game I am mostly trying to work on the world map, and not the battle-map. So I play defensive, try to ensure I select as much as possible the ground I am fighting on, an I try to keep my armies in support of each other.

So by the time it comes to fighting, I don't expect the AI to win, just inflict unacceptable casualties. Sometimes I get overwhelmed, but that is generally because of a less than optimal situation on the world map.

this

amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics.

Same, always make sure everything is strong, secure, and supported before hitting out again.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

That was awesome.

My worry is that it'll be hugely difficult to control a battle considering that I'll want to be in unit mode all the time :P maybe they should implement some kind of system where you can issue orders to groups of units without having to oversee them - like a chain of command.

Anyway, super excited for this. Upgrading my PC next summer for it in fact :)

That was awesome.

My worry is that it'll be hugely difficult to control a battle considering that I'll want to be in unit mode all the time :P maybe they should implement some kind of system where you can issue orders to groups of units without having to oversee them - like a chain of command.

Anyway, super excited for this. Upgrading my PC next summer for it in fact :)

ah, the old dilemma: to lead from the front or from the back.

Every minute you spend fighting is a minute you can't see the big picture.

Archived