Rome II: Total War

Werthead

Yeah this is true, fighting the Gauls or any other "barbarian" tribe in RTW was brutal. I mean it felt like their armies were endless, I guess that wont be much of a problem now.

Depends. If its anything like Shogun 2 then even a single territory faction can get really big really fast.

So, Is it more or less RTW1 just with an updated engine? Same factions and towns?

No. Similar factions but quite a few differences. Massively upgraded graphics and more to do on the campaign map, you can fight naval battles on-screen (rather than auto-resolving) and you can have mixed-forces naval-and-land battles. Rome is just 1 faction (rather than 3) and the map is bigger, extending further east.

No. Similar factions but quite a few differences. Massively upgraded graphics and more to do on the campaign map, you can fight naval battles on-screen (rather than auto-resolving) and you can have mixed-forces naval-and-land battles. Rome is just 1 faction (rather than 3) and the map is bigger, extending further east.

Sounds great, The auto resolving naval battles was tormenting.

Well, they could solve that by making ships into fleets rather than single vessels.

This is exactly what they've done. Each naval unit is now 3 ships, I believe.

• 5 weeks later...

In anticipation I've gone back on Rome and began playing the SPQR mod - it only has 1 rome faction and whilst it is quite fun and more realistic I can't deny that there was a certain charm to the family system

I really like the SPQR mod, I think its a vast improvement over having Rome divided into three families. That said though, I liked the Scipio family in vanilla RTW..Besides, they had the coolest banner of the roman families imo.

Corvinus; Yeah I agree, that walk through looked good.

Looked pretty awesome, although I've never been unimpressed with TW battles, the AI can be a bit wobbly at times, but considering how complex that needs to be then it's still good. I've always found the TW games to be good value as well, I get a lot of time with them before I get bored.

This may require a new video card :(. I could play shogun 2 with a mix of ultra and high, with shadows and some of the other stuff turned off.

This may require a new video card :(. I could play shogun 2 with a mix of ultra and high, with shadows and some of the other stuff turned off.

Rome 2 has the same system requirements as Shogun 2 allegedly.

I think the issue with this game will be CPU. I hope they've resolved their issues with threading (from what I read, Shogun II needed a lot of CPU power but the game only utilized 2 cores at best) or else this game is going to feel clunky on anything pre-Sandy Bridge. Maybe even there.

That said I am totally investing in a new GPU and monitor prior to this. I've got a 560ti now which is great for my needs - my monitor is not 1080p - but I'll need an upgrade to get the most out of this game.

Yeah this is true, fighting the Gauls or any other "barbarian" tribe in RTW was brutal. I mean it felt like their armies were endless, I guess that wont be much of a problem now.

How so? They still will make likely alliances against you.

As for Rome Total War mods, I play Rome Total Realism, the best mod around IMO. I love plenty of variety.

I've moved onto Roma Surrectum II great mod - the tribes being separate seems similar to the system they are going with in Rome 2 and the combat is fun - though fighting any of the Hellanistic factions can be a bit of a bitch with their pikes and Hannibal fucked me over the first time

How so? They still will make likely alliances against you.

But they could just as easily fight each other, or you can try and make a separate peace with one and fight the other. A unified Gaul would be much more of problem, larger forces/resources at hand etc.

Rome II will definitely maxmise quad-core compatibility. As long as everything else is the same as Shogun 2 there should be no need to upgrade: my 550ti already runs Shogun 2 with everything turned up to maximum with no problems.

Love the look of the Teutoburg forest battle - the graphics are great (when zoomed in the face and body graphics look better than some modern rpgs and shooters). Fighting looks good and I hope that you can get the rolling fire bales in normal gameplay. And if the whole get a certain distance away to escape an ambush was part of normal gameplay then that'd be great.

Kind of hoping we get the choice of decimating a unit if they run too often to steel their resolve - I'm a bit psychotic when I get control over pretend people, so sue me.

Though on the downside Varus may have been a bit of an idiot but he wasn't a coward - a detachment of cavalry did try and escape but the books I have don't put the blame on Varus and instead say that in the end he committed suicide to avoid capture.

Archived