Rome II: Total War

Werthead

The only computer upgrade I might do will be a better cooling fan for the processor, or another fan for the case. And probably a new power supply.

Out of all the games that I've played, Shogun 2 is the only one where I've felt heat coming out of the case. Skyrim, for example, no problems.

£44.99 is hillarious. That's not Steam price btw, Publishers tell Steam what prices to put.

So that is Sega loosing their minds.

Looks supisciously like they are including the price for Pontus and Greek City States dlc and they saying that its free DLC.

Of course that doesn't explain why some retailers are selling it so much cheaper. In Germany, the Amazon and Steam prices are identical; a ridiculous 55€. So I'll be ordering this one from the UK.

It's 59.95 in the US on amazon... Will check around for other pre-orders.

I'm not upgrading my PC solely for the sake of R2TW. I have wanted a better power supply and GPU for a while. So I'll be buying a Corsair 760AXi and installing it next week or so, then upgrading the GPU at the end of summer when this year's gen should be out. Rumor is that the first 700 series from Nvidia could be released as early as next week, but we shall see.

Can you run Shogun 2? You should be able to run this. Maybe not quite as well at maximum detail, but it should still be doable.

I can run Shogun 2, so I guess I'm good. Thanks for your response Wert, and you as well Jon AS.

I loved the original RomeTW so much, I can't wait for this.

I hope they put the modding they have for Shogun 2 on so we can have loads of extra units.

Especially hope they do the easter egg Amazon rebel settlement and unit like they did last time so somebody can mod an Amazon faction into the game.

From the look of the Teutoburg Forest walkthrough, the unit cards have changed significantly and there were lots of men on the field but definitely less than 20 cards. I haven't played a TW game since Medieval 2 (which I still play) so can anyone elaborate on this?

Probably not a full Roman stack. Most medieval 2 units were only around the 150 man range. Whilst if the average unit size were upped to 200 or 250 or more (not unreasonable since pike phalanxs in rome 1 were 240) then you're talking a lot of soldiers. Also, they were fighting the equivalent of more than one german stack coming at them piecemeal. That was a very scripted battle and not really representative; being a historical battle.

The Carthage walkthrough is even bigger in scale but that probably because several roman stacks are attacking Carthage at once.

The only thing I hope is that they don't put the Shogun 2 economy in. I want the game to be about the battles and not spend 2/3 of the game fighting rebellions and finding I can't possibly recruit more than a single stack without bankrupting myself and where sacking a city guarentees it will revolt rather than breaking there will.

Plus, they need to get rid of the research function. It really should only have applied to Empire Total war and Fall of the Samurai where there was rapid technological change. Aside from the Marian Reforms that really doesn't apply to the ancient world.

• 4 weeks later...

An

which features our first look at the campaign map. It looks really cool. Shame it appears they've gone for the 'fake Egypt' approach again rather than the semi-Greek state it actually was at the time.

Shame it appears they've gone for the 'fake Egypt' approach again rather than the semi-Greek state it actually was at the time.

This description leads me to believe they might go somewhat historical they mention the hybrid nature of the state as well as talking about spear and pike playing a large role in Egyptian armies.

Gamespot has done a full E3 preview of the campaign map, as well as the construction and recruitment tabs, which you can watch here:

They also show off the new combined naval/land real-time battles. Looks amazing, shame the interviewer's such an idiot though. >_<

Gamespot has done a full E3 preview of the campaign map, as well as the construction and recruitment tabs, which you can watch here:

They also show off the new combined naval/land real-time battles. Looks amazing, shame the interviewer's such an idiot though. >_<

"So...how much time are we going to be spending in this [campaign] mode?" :bang:

Good demo of sea battles though, the map is huge and I like the evolving cities idea.

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is Rome 2 won't be as moddable as Rome, given how they've moved away from leaving their games open to modifications. Which means no Europa Barbarorum mod for it, ever. Which means it'll have Egyptians running around dressed like extras from The Mummy and other such painful things.

As such, I'm much more excited at the prospect of Europa Barbarorum 2, if it ever gets released.

Archived