Rome II: Total War

Werthead

Not when they have the numbers as well. Each of the roman mini factions has an excellent starting position with lots of money and they soon start spamming huge armies. On one campaign I had a full stack of Brutii at Thessalonica on turn 10. Whilst later on there are absolutely loads of full stacks. So they're not even a small elite army.

Talking about units being overpowered, remember fighting the Spartans in vanilla RTW? I mean beating the Greeks in vanilla, using the hammer and anvil tactic, was easy but those spartans were a pain. I remember a couple of times where I had to storm greek cities just to find a spartan unit standing in an alley or something, blocking the way. Nasty piece of work. I usually had a greater fear for that one spartan unit, that would appear every now and again, then for the entire greek army!

Yeah you should play mods where they (oddly do the historical thing) and make all the greek units basic spear units rather than phalanx. They are BEAST. So fast and once you add other spear chucking units like Theuropori and Thorakitai like in Europa Barbarorum. They can actually match the romans heavy infantry pretty well.

Well, the Romans had issues dealing with Macedonian phalanxes (phalanges??), so their strength is pretty historical... Rome won two battles (the Battle of Cynoscephalae and Magnesia) because elephants broke the phalanxes and another (Pydna) only when they were able to draw them onto rough ground that broke their formations. Particularly at Pydna the Roman infantry was totally unsuccessful against the phalanx when it was in formation.

Thats not the point I was trying to make. :) Those were all Macedonian phalanxes that were copies of what Alexander the Great had used. The greek cities copied that but in vanilla rome they use hoplites. Now hoplites had a much shorter spear and in many ways were closer to a saxon shield wall than pikemen. So in the mods they are able to run and this gives them a huge advantage given that hoplites armour value is in the same league as the romans.

In vanilla the problem with the phalanx units was that its stats were appauling. With shockingly low defence values even for "elite" phalanx units. So that if you get past the pikes (which isn't that difficult due to the physics engine of the game) and start chopping them up with swords it gets pretty disastrous. Not to mention that they can be shot to pieces by javlins and arrows. In Europa and Roma Surrectum the phalanx is a lot tougher. Plus the lack of run really hampers the army if you want to attack.

I wonder if they'll put the hidden Easter Egg Themiskyra and Amazon rebels in again? I remember being so shocked when I was hunting for that last territory and they came screaming out.

This game looks awesome but I am worried my computer can't handle it, it's a few years old.

Can someone tell me or give an estimate if I will be able to run it.

CPU: Intel core 2 quad Q6600 2.4ghz

RAM: 3gb

GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT (this is what I'm worried about)

Thanks! :)

Have you played Shogun 2? How does it run? Rome 2 supposedly should not demand more than Shogun 2 did.

SENP - No way that'll play Rome 2. Your GPU will likely be able to run the game, but forget about big battles and graphics.

To add to that, TW games are CPU-intensive to an extent, especially Shogun 2 and Rome 2 with all the individual sprite things. So your CPU will also be a little bit low-end - though it should be perfectly capable of running decently, I just mean it's going to be tough to get the max out of the game even with a new GPU with that C2Q.

You'll need a lot more RAM and probably a new graphics card as well. 3GB is seriously sub-optimum for any modern game (given that Windows uses 2GB of that by itself, it leaves you with very little for the game itself).

They showed a lot more on the Siege of Carthage dev commentary.

Not sure if the rolling fire things are cut scene only or if they're something the defenders can lay before a battle on a hill (bit like mines n light infantry in Empire).

Good to see we'll be getting the Marian reforms again judging by the look of the soldiers in their mails and I think a few were wearing the iconic segmata armour. That could suggest that they've pushed the end date of the campaign forward like Roma Surrectum to 150AD (because the traditional RTW timeline ends just before the legions adopted the iconic armour). Or it could be rule of cool again I suppose.

Archived