Rome II: Total War

Werthead

Holy fuck.

The first screenshot - a combined-arms land-and-sea assault on Carthage - is absolutely epic. Assuming that makes it into the game (and I'm remembering the early Rome: Total War screenshots which were a little economical with the truth on how many units they could handle on-screen), that should be absolutely awesome.

New info:

Historical characters will play a larger role in events, with intrigue a potential threat to your leadership.

The map is larger than Rome's, extending further east into Asia.

Naval warfare has received an overhaul, and is now much more important. Combined-arms land-and-sea battles, as seen above, will be possible on a much larger scale. There will be multiple ships in each naval unit.

Cities are now massive and have multiple points of control (such as the barracks, granaries etc). Simply rushing the town square is no longer enough to take the city.

This is Creative Assembly's biggest project to date, with a budget 40% larger than their previous largest game.

The status of the unit's morale will be discernible through more detailed facial animations. A unit under pressure will have soldiers who will be looking around and perhaps panicking.

Same engine as Empire/Napoleon/Shogun 2, but significantly upgraded.

You can zoom the camera from right next to a soldier's face into something like near-orbit, with the units turning into symbols (Supreme Commander-style).

Reworked unit recruitment. You might be able to recruit entire armies in one go.

Apparently more modding tools than the last few Total War games, but take this with a pinch of salt.

Live-action trailer!

The live-action trailer makes me want to sit down and rewatch all of Rome (the HBO series) from start to finish. I normally don't like live-action trailers for games, but that was pretty well done, with great music.

Creative Assembly are headed back to ancient Rome for their next turn-based/realtime battle extravaganza. Full details in a couple of weeks, but I think the addition of naval combat alone will be a huge improvement to the game. Hopefully the AI will be good out of the box this time (Shogun 2 definitely has some improvements in that area).

Kharn!!!!!!!!

Why? Why can't my games playing computer have steam and an internet connection? There is no justice.

Well damn, that looks amazing. I still boot up the original from time to time. I never really got into the other Total War games, but something about Rome, mainly the setting, just kept me coming back.

And I have to say I'm glad it is coming out next year, when I should actually have time to play it.

I keep telling myself that next year, when I (hopefully) finish my studies, I'll buy myself a new computer as a reward and stock it with things like Civ V, Diablo III, and now, Rome 2: Total War. And then no one will see me for six months, as my beard gets longer and longer and my eyes burn out from the glare of the screen.

Damn, just saw this thread, after posting in the Westeros Total War section.

But I like I said there, CA needs to make this one as flexible as possible for modding, because I really want to see/fight a Blackwater.

Holy fuck.

The first screenshot - a combined-arms land-and-sea assault on Carthage - is absolutely epic. Assuming that makes it into the game (and I'm remembering the early Rome: Total War screenshots which were a little economical with the truth on how many units they could handle on-screen), that should be absolutely awesome.

That is not a screenshot, it's clearly artwork. The only screenshot is the second one with various groups marching through a town square.

The live action trailer was ok but the smirky kid on the steps of the forum looked a bit too young to be a serious player (you couldn't become a consul until 42 and even the lesser public offices started at around 30), although of course in the later republic and empire these restrictions were often forgotten for those coming from the imperial family.

In any case, I'm pretty hyped for this. Rome was definitely my all time favourite Total War game.

The live action trailer was ok but the smirky kid on the steps of the forum looked a bit too young to be a serious player (you couldn't become a consul until 42 and even the lesser public offices started at around 30), although of course in the later republic and empire these restrictions were often forgotten for those coming from the imperial family.

Pompey.

Archived