US Politics: the waiting-for-SCOTUS-to-exhale edition

The Progressive

Some relevant stuff:

"The national government has significant power to regulate immigration," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote in the majority opinion, adding that "Arizona may have understandable frustrations with the problems caused by illegal immigration while that process continues, but the state may not pursue policies that undermined federal law."

The majority concluded the federal government had the power to block SB1070, though the court upheld one of the most controversial parts of the bill -- a provision that lets police check a person's immigration status while enforcing other laws if "reasonable suspicion" exists that the person is in the United States illegally.

In its ruling, the high court made clear the immigration status provision could still face future constitutional challenges depending on how the state enforces it.

Provisions struck down included:

-- Authorizing police to arrest immigrants without warrant where "probable cause" exists that they committed any public offense making them removable from the country.

-- Making it a state crime for "unauthorized immigrants" to fail to carry registration papers and other government identification.

-- Forbidding those not authorized for employment in the United States to apply, solicit or perform work. That would include immigrants standing in a parking lot who "gesture or nod" their willingness to be employed.

SCOTUS reaffirm federal government power over states on immigration policies, which should set a nice precedent for other lawsuits in various states that were itching to adopt similar discriminatory laws.

Much of it was struck down, but the worst part (PAPERS, CITIZEN?) was not.

Only because it wasn't enacted yet. The majority opinion stated that it could be challenged as discriminatory after enactment. But proof needs to be provided first; hence it needs to enacted first.

And the other 3 provisions are gone. Gov. Brewer's an idiot (what else is new?) for claiming this was a victory.

I'm guessing a 5-4 ruling that strikes down PPACA entirely, with the predictable conservative justices plus Kennedy lining up to knock it down. The guy arguing for it in the Supreme Court case a few months ago did a terrible job, so it's possible they won't buy the severability argument.

Some relevant stuff:

SCOTUS reaffirm federal government power over states on immigration policies, which should set a nice precedent for other lawsuits in various states that were itching to adopt similar discriminatory laws.

So, the only solution is to impeach the Attorney General for non-feasance.

Not ANY person! illegal lily-white snowbirds from Canada have no fears from the law, Brown people should be terrified though, their skin is their accuser and the evidence of their guilt. Michael Jackson esque skin treatments/replacement is recommended. :)

Since when is it discriminatory to see that immigration laws are enforced? Why all the sympathy for those whose first act when entering the US was to spit on our laws? I don't give a damn what their race or nationality or color is. If they are here illegally, they should be removed.

Let me put it this way: is it hard to understand why people might take issue with the idea of some asshole in jackboots pulling them over and going "papers please"?

Right, but meth labs are illegal too, and cops can't just pull over every white trash person on the road for suspicion of running one.

Bad example. If there is no evidence in the vehicle, it won't work. Valid ID, on the other hand is verifiable.

Let me put it this way: is it hard to understand why people might take issue with the idea of some asshole in jackboots pulling them over and going "papers please"?

Your reference to law enforcement representatives as "asshole in jackboots", pretty much guarantees, there is no point in my bothering to discuss the matter with you.

Your reference to law enforcement representatives as "asshole in jackboots", pretty much guarantees, there is no point in my bothering to discuss the matter with you.

I was specifically referring to Sheriff Joe.

Deathwalker,

The point is that having brown skin shouldn't give reasonable suspision for detention.

Ser Scot,

From MSNBC .

—Mexicans make up the majority of the illegal immigrant population at 58 percent, or 6.5 million. They are followed by people from other Latin American countries at 23 percent, or 2.6 million; Asia at 11 percent or 1.3 million; Europe and Canada at 4 percent or 500,000; and African countries and other nations at 3 percent, or 400,000.

—The states with the highest percentage of illegal immigrants were Nevada (7.2 percent), California (6.8 percent), Texas (6.7 percent) and New Jersey (6.2 percent).

About 350,000 newborns last year had at least one illegal immigrant parent, representing 8 percent of all births. That share is largely unchanged from 2009.

Assuming those statistics are accurate, I would ask this question. If 81% of illegal immigrants have the physical characteristics of Latinos, is there reasonable suspicion to stop those who appear to be Swedish?

BTW, I highlighted that last sentence, because it is another issue that needs be dealt with...that someone born here is automatically a citizen, even if their parents are not.

DW,

You miss the point of reasonable suspsion and probable cause. They do not exist for groups of people. They must be expressed on a case by case basis. As such stopping a black person driving a nice car because they are black or a latino because they are latino is a violation of their civil rights because skin tone alone doesn't give rise to PC or RS as to those individuals.

deathwalker,

never in your life have you been willing to wash the dishes, mow the lawns, pick the lettuce, prune the trees, make the beds, pack out the trash or the many other valuable jobs that in particular hispanic immigrants (legal and illegal) provide for america.

i have had coworkers tell me about their 17 days walks to the united states from el salvador. i have had them tell me about sneaking across the border under cover of darkness to have a true chance at success.

you too can get in line.

not everyone sneaking into the united states is doing so to defraud it or commit drug crimes. until american citizens want to do the work that these people are doing you have nothing.

Archived