A 17 years old rape victim revealed her underage attackers' name

Waldo Frey

I dont get this at all. How did they plea this? I have a family member who was registered offender for four years, for consentual acts that took place when he was sixteen.

Yet a joint assault leads to a plea? I am too dumb to understand our legal system.

Maybe you are too smart to understand how dumb our legal system is?

Maybe the girl had the shittiest lawyer ever, prosecuting attorney I guess. Because you know, it is great that in our system guilt, innocence, and punishment can depend tremendously on your lawyer.

Hmmm, interesting case. A lot of problematic issues on all sides.

On the one hand, having a plea deal between the perpetrators and the judge be binding for the victim seems very odd.

all juveniles?

all crimes?

let us think for a moment, perhaps.

should all juveniles who make mistakes (i am not condoning rape and murder here, only youthful indiscretions) lead to children being outed in the media as criminals and never having a chance at an ordinary life?

i know it is not something you understand or accept, but sometimes people (juveniles) can be rehabilitated. but, i know you would always prefer to just have everyone even remotely guilty or accused of to be marched off to the firing squad or that gas chamber.

Somewhere along the way, society got sucked into the idea that some people are not responsible for their actions. We've been paying the price, ever since. Some juveniles may be able to be rehabilitated, but the public has the right to know who commits crimes. The law should protect the innocent, not the guilty.

I agree with everything you've said, but I'd probably go further in that I think the victim's right to speak on any crime, rape or not, should be inviolable. Some little 12 year old shit steals something from a store, the owner should have every right to shout his name from the rooftops. Free speech and all that.

No argument from me.

Hmmm, interesting case. A lot of problematic issues on all sides.

On the one hand, having a plea deal between the perpetrators and the judge be binding for the victim seems very odd.

Seems like BS.

I hope the OP is happy this thread has probably been the one to finally kill Raidne with indignation. We'll miss you, Raids <3

There's worse threads in the afterlife though.

So can someone explain to me if victims have any say at all in their plea deals? I am woefully uneducated to do more than ask questions for a better understanding.

As I understand it they took pictures and showed them to all their friends bragging about raping her, she should have every right to tell anybody and everybody what happened and warn all her female friends to watch out for these 2 sick rapists.

Somewhere along the way, society got sucked into the idea that some people are not responsible for their actions. We've been paying the price, ever since. Some juveniles may be able to be rehabilitated, but the public has the right to know who commits crimes. The law should protect the innocent, not the guilty.

if rehabilitated why should society ever need to know that which might have happened when one was a juvenile? please explain.

your posts have shown time and time again how terrified you are of the world. i would like to feel sorry for you, but i cannot.

not naming them was part of the deal, that deal is now broken, they probably get nothing now.

i can see it from her point of view, the plea is bull shit. i will out them to the social media and let them get attacked virtually, because in reallity there charges where probably 200 hours of community service and a short stint in JD.

rape is no joke and now that there names are public they are going to need to delete/ make private there facebooks and delete twitters and what not. Big fucking deal .... should of got 15 years.

Poor girl. Glad she outted the little shits.

It appears the motion to hold her in contempt has been withdrawn.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1696303.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just mean that the boys' lawyers don't need to put the motion, because the court will do it itself?

"[Mejia] said there's no need for the motion now that Dietrich spread word about the case over the Internet."

My husband is former fed prosecutor and criminal defense attorney and he said that she might have some say in the contents of the agreement, but it would be difficult to bind HER to any stipulations. It is possible that she could be charged with something, but not likely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that just mean that the boys' lawyers don't need to put the motion, because the court will do it itself?

"[Mejia] said there's no need for the motion now that Dietrich spread word about the case over the Internet."

I am not entirely sure what he means exactly. The judge would have to issue an order to show cause before sanctioning Dietrich. I very much doubt he will, though. I think the judge, the rapists, and their attorneys want this matter to go away ASAP.

Yeah, the whole legal issue just doesn't make much sense to me.

Plea bargain is struck between the state prosecution and the accused. How does a plea bargain even involve the victim's future action when she has no stake in it? It makes no sense. It's not a civil case, right?

I'm just confused on how it even started. Maybe I watched too much L&O? :P

Yeah, the whole legal issue just doesn't make much sense to me.

Plea bargain is struck between the state prosecution and the accused. How does a plea bargain even involve the victim's future action when she has no stake in it? It makes no sense. It's not a civil case, right?

I'm just confused on how it even started. Maybe I watched too much L&O? :P

They are charged with a felony.

I can't believe that I am going to say this, but I agree with Robin on this. I don't think that crimes committed as a juvenile should count in sentencing an adult, but totally wiping them off the record seems a bit foolish, and even dangerous in cases. We keep track of crimes in order to prevent further crimes. It just seems counter intuitive to me to wipe all underage crime just because someone hit a certain age

if rehabilitated why should society ever need to know that which might have happened when one was a juvenile? please explain.

Do you really believe that it is possible to rehabilitate a rapist? How does that work exactly?

Archived