Fantasy Football General Discussion - 2012

RaceBannon42

Damn, glad to find a general thread, didn't know there were so many forum leagues.

Ok, I am doing this for the first time with a guy from work and his connections and want someone to give me a quick grade on my draft. I know, lots of variables but just a quick though if anyone would be so kind. The league allows starting QB RB RB WR WR TE D/ST K and a Flex. Not a PPR league either. Oh, 8 people, I was 7nth in a snake draft.

My Team

P Manning(QB) M Forte(RB) B Green-Ellis(RB) W Welker(WR) M Colston(WR) J Finley(TE) Bears(D/SP) E Decker(flex)

Bench

R Mathews(RB) M Schaub(QB) D Williams(RB) J Witten(TE) J Cutler(QB) A Boldin(WR) Giants(D/SP)

I felt pretty good about this, even with me STUPIDLY not knowing I drafted an injured Mathews. I picked up Cutler because he was still there in a late round and I am sure he will be trade bait at some point, can't see any way he is the 17th best QB, someone has to kick themself later, or am I wrong?

That does not look like a particularly strong team in a snake draft with eight teams.

With the seventh pick, you should have two of these guys (with 7th and 10th picks)

Arian Foster, Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Calvin Johnson, Darren McFadden, Chris Johnson, Cam Newton

You don't have any. You burned one on Mathews presumably, but then reached for Forte with the other.

Cutler will have little or no value. Nobody gets upset about the quality of their backup QB. The 8 QB who should play are most likely to be Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Newton, Stafford, Ryan, Vick and one other, probably Romo. You don't have any of them.

You do have two top 16 RB, but one of them is hurt and you didn't then load up with the 17-20 guys.

TE is fine - you have a top 8 guy - probably 6th best, but one who could challenge near the top if things go well.

WR is also a problem You have two top 16 guys, but neither is really close to top 8.

Not that it matters a lot, but I don't see a kicker.

The real problem is less about what you have and more about what you don't have. You don't have a top 4 QB or RB or WR or TE. This bodes ill. In small leagues like that one, you should have a top 4 guy in most if not all categories. I wish you'd posted this two weeks ago.

Draft was Sunday, couldn't post two weeks ago. :cool4: Oh, Kicker was Crosby.

Makes since. First six were Rice, Foster, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, McCoy. I truly though Manning would have a bounce back, and so I took him with my first. The two Johnsons went 8 and 9, so Forte was actually my reach in 2nd.

So it looks like I truly need Manning to have a great year, and Mathews to come back strong in your mind to have a chance.

LOL. So I did. Its funny, in this league it didn't really raise eyebrows, but while I am the only newbie, most of them are only two years in.

I guess I don't get why Manning is a bad pick, just the uncertainty of the injury?

Draft was Sunday, couldn't post two weeks ago. :cool4: Oh, Kicker was Crosby.

Makes since. First six were Rice, Foster, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, McCoy. I truly though Manning would have a bounce back, and so I took him with my first. The two Johnsons went 8 and 9, so Forte was actually my reach in 2nd.

So it looks like I truly need Manning to have a great year, and Mathews to come back strong in your mind to have a chance.

That is a common mistake by Fantasy rookies. If you are convinced you have a special insight into a player, do not then pick him 8 rounds ahead of his average pick. Two or three is good enough. Fill the rest of your roster first, leaving a hole. Then smugly, when the other owners start to point and laugh at the fact you don't have a QB, drop your Peyton-bomb on them and make a cha-ching noise en route to the bank.

Just hope you aren't wrong. You will be screwed. But not as screwed as you'd be if you'd picked him in the first.

If I had believed Peyton would be a savior, I would still have drafted one of the top 8 guys as my backup. Ryan, Vick or Romo. Save Peyton for the 6th or 7th round at least, better 8th or 9th (hard to think 8 team leagues for me, seldom in them)

LOL. So I did. Its funny, in this league it didn't really raise eyebrows, but while I am the only newbie, most of them are only two years in.

I guess I don't get why Manning is a bad pick, just the uncertainty of the injury?

Here is a good example. If you and only you travelled back in time, when would you tell the Patriots to draft Tom Brady in the 2000 NFL draft?

You'd tell them to use pick 199. You wouldn't say 'this guys is a future HOF player, pick him first chance you get'. Because you'd know you could get him at 199. Same if you were advising another team. You'd tell them to pick him as late as they can, before pick number 199.

Well yea, that's a pretty big deal. He looked good in preseason but he did have 3 neck surgeries, has diminished arm strength, is 36 and has difficulty throwing beyond 20-30 yards.

The guys ahead of him are all safer than Manning, not to mention they should put up better fantasy numbers. They might not be better QBs in real life, but they'll be better fantasy wise.

You shouldn't have taken him in the first. If you wanted Manning, then you take DMC there and get Manning in the 6th.

As stated above, the primary problem is not that you picked him - it's that you picked him so early. You could have had him and one of those top 11 guys instead, or realistically two of the top 11 guys instead. Or not even instead - in addition to. That's the real issue.

If you think he's great, well, that's what FF is about - but it's also about not having to get him early.

The rest of your team just doesn't have a lot of there, there.

Here is a good example. If you and only you travelled back in time, when would you tell the Patriots to draft Tom Brady in the 2000 NFL draft?

You'd tell them to use pick 199. You wouldn't say 'this guys is a future HOF player, pick him first chance you get'. Because you'd know you could get him at 199. Same if you were advising another team. You'd tell them to pick him as late as they can, before pick number 199.

i'd probably tell them to pick him in the fourth but just cause of the butterfly effect. even if you only told people in the patriots org, they could give off subtle clues about who they were looking at, etc. you just don't know what else you changed by traveling through time. it might be safer to not say anything at all. because than all will go as planned. unless of course they only picked brady in the because you told them too, and you are returning from a future in which you have already completed your mission. so you should probably say something.

but then you still have to be careful. you don't want brady to know any of this. knowing that someone from the future came back and reported that he was an all-time great could cause him to rest on his laurels, unraveling everything. of course, maybe he only became great because he heard a time traveler said he would be, giving him the confidence boost that launched his career from griese backup to superbowl champ. so you better say something.

bottom line. don't use time travel to guide nfl drafts

If advising the Patriots, you wouldn't tell them anything. They already have it right. Maybe you fix the earlier rounds and then you have a butterfly effect issue and you probably would bump Brady a round or two.

If you want trade offers, make trade offers.

And if you do get them, respond. Not just with a "Reject", but a sentence or two about why. Keep it positive. Encouragement is part of the process.

The worst thing to do with an offer is ignore it. Rejecting it without comment is a close second.

Making a snarky counter-offer is second worst

Rejecting it without comment is third.

If you want trade offers, make trade offers.

And if you do get them, respond. Not just with a "Reject", but a sentence or two about why. Keep it positive. Encouragement is part of the process.

The worst thing to do with an offer is ignore it. Rejecting it without comment is a close second.

Making a snarky counter-offer is second worst

Rejecting it without comment is third.

so, just so i know this isnt me, all trade offers will appear on my team page right? cause my yahoo mail gets pretty crowded with spam

I more want the entertainment factor with trade offers. Heck, even crazy ones are welcome.

this is pandoras box

so, just so i know this isnt me, all trade offers will appear on my team page right? cause my yahoo mail gets pretty crowded with spam

Yeah. Trade offers are on your team page. You can disable email alerts. I never bother with that because usually whoever is trying to trade with you will eventually PM you here after a day or two goes by and you haven't checked yet.

Archived