Fantasy Football General Discussion - 2012

RaceBannon42

QBs are almost always good fantasy trade bait in the extended leagues - either because someone forgot that they needed two good ones, their fantasy QB sucked for some reason or there's been an injury issue. The dropoff between a starting QB and having nothing there is so huge, and the drop off between (say) a Blaine Gabbert to Dalton is also pretty huge.

I have a more general queston, in response to a comment made by WJ in the Zombie league

Who do YOU think are the top 5 RB handcuffs this season?

I think #1 is so clear that he should be #1 and #2.

Ben Tate

Foster has questions about durability and Tate is such a beast when he plays.

My other top 5 would be

Rashad Jennings

Jacquizz Rodgers

David Wilson

Ryan Williams

Kendall Hunter (the one WJ mentioned) might be three or four more guys down the list.

I have a more general queston, in response to a comment made by WJ in the Zombie league

I think #1 is so clear that he should be #1 and #2.

Ben Tate

Foster has questions about durability and Tate is such a beast when he plays.

My other top 5 would be

Rashad Jennings

Jacquizz Rodgers

David Wilson

Ryan Williams

Kendall Hunter (the one WJ mentioned) might be three or four more guys down the list.

Yeah, thats a fair point about Tate. I guess I meant more along the lines of $1-2 handcuffs. Tate has been going higher than that in a lot of drafts. Same with Jennings and Wilson most of the time. If we're talking about any backups, then I'd probably go -

1) Tate

2) Jennings

3) Wilson

4) Hunter

5) R.Williams

1) Tate

2) Jennings

3) Wilson

4) Hunter

5) R.Williams

I'd rather have Rodgers than Williams. That offense is going nowhere fast. Doesn't matter what the talent of the player is as the OL and QB play are terrible and they have no WRs other than Fitz.

I am big on Rodgers as well. I think that a scatback who can catch in a no-huddle offense is a great find. Throw in 15-20 carries a game (what he'd get if Turner went down/was phased out) and that is fantasy gold.

I think Turbin should be on there. So should Isaiah Pead; SJax has always had durability issues, but has had to play through it because the Rams didn't have anyone worth a damn.

Gerhart is also an understated handcuff given AP's recovery.

Actually, here's a really handy chart. Looking at that list, I'd have two types of handcuffs - those who are also likely to score some points, and those who are likely to replace the first player at some point.

Score some points: Hillis, Michael Bush, Felix Jones, Pierre Thomas, Rashad Jennings

Replace: Tate, Pead, Wilson, Gerhart, Taiwan Jones

I think Turbin should be on there. So should Isaiah Pead; SJax has always had durability issues, but has had to play through it because the Rams didn't have anyone worth a damn.

Gerhart is also an understated handcuff given AP's recovery.

Those guys would be in my top ten. I have some questions about whether Pead will hold the job if SJax goes down.

imo, tate is not a handcuff. he has value on his own. a handcuff is someone who you just keep in case your starter goes down. spiller is likewise not handcuff, and david wilson probably won't be either

so jacquizz rodgers is the most important.

ronnie brown for certain

turbin

taiwan jones

gerhart

will rashad jennings actually score enough points to be worthwhile? you don't handcuff steven jackson and chris johnson becuase whoever fills in isn't going to do much.

i'm not handcuffing mccoy and gore because i really dont know who steps up in their absence. hard to stock multiple potential handcuffs for one guy on your bench

So I had my money league draft this past weekend. Mexal and Jaime have already told me my team is awesome, but it never hurts to get other opinions.

Starters

QB - T.Brady, A.Luck

RB - M.Lynch, F.Jackson, D.Martin

WR - H.Nicks, P.Harvin, E.Decker, P.Garcon

TE - K.Rudolph

K - R.Bironas

DEF - Seattle

Bench

QB - J.Flacco, R.Wilson

RB - M.Ingram, D.Wilson, A.Morris, R.Turbin, L.Blount

WR - J.Blackmon, R.Cobb, A.Collie

Honestly don't know how the draft could have gone any better. I went in with one scenario in my mind that targeted this exact combination of QB and RB. I was more open on WR/TE, depending on whether or not I got Julio or Graham, but these were all guys on my short list of targets, so I'm really happy there too. And I was able to save money throughout the draft and maintain the largest stack for endgame, so my bench is super deep too.

I wish I had an elite RB or TE....but you can't have everything. Had to make choices, and given the prices at the draft, I think this was the best route. Definitely one of my favorite teams that I've drafted so far this year.

It looks good.

I'm not as high on Indy as you are and I'd be worried about having a reliable rb (all of the ones you have are either ones with history of injury or aren't actual starters) but you have great depth at qb and rb. I'd probably move to lock down an elite te as soon as you can, sacrificing some of that depth for it.

Pretty much what kal said.

I am definitely more Team BeastMode than Team Toronto, and I like Martin more than either. I have to say I don't really like ANY RB2 this year. I like some RB1 and lots of RB 3-4 types. Leaving a lot of donuts in my rosters, but can't force myself to pay for that 11-16 tier.

I agree, WJ. Looks like a strong team. I think FJax is pretty under-rated and Lynch could be pretty good, too, if he's anything like he was in the second half last season (besides you have his handcuff as well). TB also quietly has a pretty good O-Line so that should help the combination of Martin and Blount pay dividends. That's to say nothing of your elite QB and, of course, Nicks will be good (if healthy). Also, Decker will see a lot of balls while I think Harvin will definitely contribute, too (especially after the return of Simpson).

ETA: Your team here has six players in common with my Experts team so I definitely wish you the best of luck! ;)

ETA: Your team here has six players in common with my Experts team so I definitely wish you the best of luck! ;)

Yeah, I noticed that. Looks like I'm in good company. :P

I have Lynch valued with the assumption factored in that he's getting suspended. If he doesn't, then that's pretty solidly done.

I don't think he's going to be suspended this year. Seems likely that the trial will be pushed back past the season. But yeah.....either way, I've got Turbin.

I actually started the year not feeling great about Lynch. But people haven't overvalued him based on last year's stats like I expected. And I think Russell Wilson at QB could help him a lot.

Also, my team name has been Beast Mode ever since I drafted Lynch years ago. And my team avatar is a picture of him. So it just makes sense to have him back on board.

Yeah, I noticed that. Looks like I'm in good company. :P

Yeah, but you have T. Brady on this team :tantrum:

I don't think he's going to be suspended this year. Seems likely that the trial will be pushed back past the season. But yeah.....either way, I've got Turbin.

I hope you're right but, as you say, having Turbin should somewhat ease the pain of his possible suspension.

Damn, glad to find a general thread, didn't know there were so many forum leagues.

Ok, I am doing this for the first time with a guy from work and his connections and want someone to give me a quick grade on my draft. I know, lots of variables but just a quick though if anyone would be so kind. The league allows starting QB RB RB WR WR TE D/ST K and a Flex. Not a PPR league either. Oh, 8 people, I was 7nth in a snake draft.

My Team

P Manning(QB) M Forte(RB) B Green-Ellis(RB) W Welker(WR) M Colston(WR) J Finley(TE) Bears(D/SP) E Decker(flex)

Bench

R Mathews(RB) M Schaub(QB) D Williams(RB) J Witten(TE) J Cutler(QB) A Boldin(WR) Giants(D/SP)

I felt pretty good about this, even with me STUPIDLY not knowing I drafted an injured Mathews. I picked up Cutler because he was still there in a late round and I am sure he will be trade bait at some point, can't see any way he is the 17th best QB, someone has to kick themself later, or am I wrong?

Archived