Questions for GRRM - WorldCon and beyond vol. 2

kissdbyfire

Are the Others reanimating the dead on their side of the wall by warging them?

When the NW brought over the two corpses in Game of Thrones, they were still animated, so if the Others are warging the dead, there is either an Other south (creepy!) of the Wall, or the Wall doesn't matter. This is a really good question but maybe you should rethink the "on their side of the wall" phrase to make it even better, if not more clear.

• 2 weeks later...

What happens if a member of the Kingsguard is exiled to the Wall? According to the wiki, "knights sworn to a lifetime of service, members are to serve unto death despite age or any physical or mental ailments, with an invalid member's duties being taken up by his sworn brothers."

So what happened when Lucamore Strong (Lucamoe the Lusty) was sent to the Wall by Jaehaerys I?

Was he replaced or did the remaining 6 just assume his duties?

Any thoughts about if Jaime Lannister was sent to the Night's Watch, as many counseled for his crime/failure of duty? Would he have been replaced?

Is being sent akin to dying, since the sentance is for life? Other nobles lose or are forced to relinquish their titles. So what is the outcome of being sent from one lifetime post to another?

Would love to hear GRRM's response, if ever able to ask the question.

Well Northern England doesn't have an old language , it had the same language as southern England. which is why I use Ireland and Scotland and Wales as an example. Gaeilge only stopped being commonly spoken in Ireland about 150 years ago. So that is why the Irish and Scottish accents are so different, it isn't just the accent, but the way words are spoken and phrases are expressed.

Northern England actually does have an "old" language - Cumbric. According to old Welsh history it was a Brythonic dialect, similar to Welsh. The people of northern England only abandoned that language around 750-800 AD or so, when the Anglosaxons finally took over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hen_Ogledd.

Southern England is different because they abandoned their (Latin-)Brythonic dialects a lot earlier, right after the Anglosaxon invasions.

The Stark children and their dire wolves seem to be intrinsically tied. They all seem to be developing their warging abilities, and as these get stronger their characters seem to be drawing a sense of empowerment and self-reliance.

We have learnt that should the dire wolves outlive its master, the master's soul will continue to live in the wolf. In addition their fates seem to be tied to that of their wolves, Robb and his wolf were killed in the same manner, as Rick becomes wild and unruly, so does his wolf, as Arya becomes obsessed with death, her wolf becomes the leader of a vicious wolf pack...All this is happening to all the Starks, except Sansa, who is yet to see a moment of self-assertion.

Sansa's wolf was killed. Can this be taken as some sort of foreshadowing about her destiny/future as opposed to that of her siblings? Has this somehow set her apart, separated her from her pack (family)? Hurt her capability to develop warging abilities? Or even represent the possibility that like her wolf, Sansa's life might be cut short?

The Stark children and their dire wolves seem to be intrinsically tied. They all seem to be developing their warging abilities, and as these get stronger their characters seem to be drawing a sense of empowerment and self-reliance.

We have learnt that should the dire wolves outlive its master, the master's soul will continue to live in the wolf. In addition their fates seem to be tied to that of their wolves, Robb and his wolf were killed in the same manner, as Rick becomes wild and unruly, so does his wolf, as Arya becomes obsessed with death, her wolf becomes the leader of a vicious wolf pack...All this is happening to all the Starks, except Sansa, who is yet to see a moment of self-assertion.

Sansa's wolf was killed. Can this be taken as some sort of foreshadowing about her destiny/future as opposed to that of her siblings? Has this somehow set her apart, separated her from her pack (family)? Hurt her capability to develop warging abilities? Or even represent the possibility that like her wolf, Sansa's life might be cut short?

:) Nice short essay. But what exactly is your question?

And what kind of answer do you expect to that? If he's planning to have Sansa die (why would he? her story doesn't put her in harm's way) he's not going to tell you.

A major flaw in some characters in my opinion that's keeping me from reading the books. Please give me your thoughts!

Hello, I have watched the television series over and over again & after plenty of research I have become fully indulged in the story line and the world of ASOIAF, and hence decided to begin reading the books! However, through my research I've found that the ages of some of the major characters are younger than in the tv series (Ned, Robb, Bran, Jon, Denaerys, etc...) I believe this is a HUGE mistake. I think that these characters should have been around TEN years elder at the start of the books ( to be honest I cannot take the idea of a 14-15 year old leading an immense war). Wouldn't it be much more logical that Robb for instance was around 26-28 and had a job and responsibility at Winterfell that equipped him with enough military and ruling education in order for us to believe that he really could win most of his battles (in a game of thrones and clash of kings at least). Why is Ned Stark not portrayed as a man in his 50's and Robert's rebellion about 25 years before the events of the first book?. I understand that Sansa had not come of age and that is why jeoffry didn't put a child in her & that was important to the plot, but surely other reasons could have been created in the story line? These are only VERY FEW examples of what I have in mind regarding the age factor....What do you guys think? I wish GRRM would read this haha

/Rant about age

Well to start with the series takes place in a medieval world. People did not usually live that very long. Walder Frey and Maester Aemon are rare cases.

Robb, heir of the north age 28 and unmarried? Would not have worked in that world.

I agree that some more years should have been added but not 10.

Going by that Bran should have been a squire or possibly even a knight by that time and Rickon would be a fresh squire himself. Arya would most likely be married/betrothed and same for Sansa and then no Stark child could go to Kings Landing.

Not to add that Joffrey would be around 24 and unmarried as the heir to the realm?

And Tywin would be almost 70 something? Same with Blackfish?

I can say that 3 more years would have been good. Make Robb and Jon 18 at the start. But 10? No.

A major flaw in some characters in my opinion that's keeping me from reading the books. Please give me your thoughts!

Hello, I have watched the television series over and over again & after plenty of research I have become fully indulged in the story line and the world of ASOIAF, and hence decided to begin reading the books! However, through my research I've found that the ages of some of the major characters are younger than in the tv series (Ned, Robb, Bran, Jon, Denaerys, etc...) I believe this is a HUGE mistake. I think that these characters should have been around TEN years elder at the start of the books ( to be honest I cannot take the idea of a 14-15 year old leading an immense war). Wouldn't it be much more logical that Robb for instance was around 26-28 and had a job and responsibility at Winterfell that equipped him with enough military and ruling education in order for us to believe that he really could win most of his battles (in a game of thrones and clash of kings at least). Why is Ned Stark not portrayed as a man in his 50's and Robert's rebellion about 25 years before the events of the first book?. I understand that Sansa had not come of age and that is why jeoffry didn't put a child in her & that was important to the plot, but surely other reasons could have been created in the story line? These are only VERY FEW examples of what I have in mind regarding the age factor....What do you guys think? I wish GRRM would read this haha

He's been trained for leadership for his whole life. Also, like the guy above me said, it's a medieval world and people did things younger than they do them now. When I was reading the book, it felt strange that they were so young (I'd already seen seasons 1 and 2) but only because I pictured them a bit older. There's no illogicality in the ages. These people regard a 15 year old a "grown man" etc.

Just read them. The TV show is great, but the books are a lot better.

In the UK young actors cannot be in certain scenes. For instance, a 13-year-old actress wouldn't be allowed to play some of Dany's scenes with Drogo. So they aged characters because of that and, having aged some characters they had to age others accordingly.

Would you (GRRM) ever consider creating a massive re-edit of the ASOIAF series when it's over as a single e-book?

Reason being: you wouldn't have to split up plots and characters (ex A Feast for Crows and a Dance With Dragons) since as an e-book it doesn't matter how thick the book would be. It could be in the order and flow you imagine it.

Extra features: Maybe even be able to read through a single characters chapters?

Would you (GRRM) ever consider creating a massive re-edit of the ASOIAF series when it's over as a single e-book?

Reason being: you wouldn't have to split up plots and characters (ex A Feast for Crows and a Dance With Dragons) since as an e-book it doesn't matter how thick the book would be. It could be in the order and flow you imagine it.

Extra features: Maybe even be able to read through a single characters chapters?

I think the decision to split up the book by putting a few characters in each one was a perfect decision leading to a certain mistery in both of them. We hear about certain events containing some kind of mistery, only because we haven't read the other story-archs. To mix up both books would be a grave mistake in my opinion as you wouldn't get the same result we get now.

Also, it's perfectly possible to paste all the current e-books together and quickly filter out certain story archs based on character. You would, however, lose a lot of information from that arch as we often get information about characters through other perspectives.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the decision to split up the book by putting a few characters in each one was a perfect decision leading to a certain mistery in both of them. We hear about certain events containing some kind of mistery, only because we haven't read the other story-archs. To mix up both books would be a grave mistake in my opinion as you wouldn't get the same result we get now.

Also, it's perfectly possible to paste all the current e-books together and quickly filter out certain story archs based on character. You would, however, lose a lot of information from that arch as we often get information about characters through other perspectives.

:agree:

Archived