Would you name your children with an asoiaf name ?

Golden Lady

No, I would not want my children be named after fictional characters, although I love some of the names from ASOIAF. Most of them would look ridiculous in my language anyway - everything with ae, y, q, w, and x in them for a start. Maybe Sansa would look the most natural from all of them, apart from the usual Robert and Jon (which I pronounce "yon" anyway).

So, for a pet, definitely. For a human, no.

The short answer is basically no. Naming pets after pop cultural phenomena is fine, but children are real people who'll have to carry that name and answer to it at least until they're old enough to change it. It's just not fair to saddle them with a made-up, overly pretentious or identifiably pop cultural name. It's not just school, either. Future employers are going to look at those names and think they're a liabiity. I also feel it's kind of disrespectful to the child. Apart from anything else, what if they grow up to hate ASoIaF?

Further, I feel it's kind of missing the point. Characters in ASoIaF have fantastic names because it's a fantastic world. If everyone introduces those names back over to the real world, the names aren't fantastic any more.

Of course, there are some which are already real names, and they're fine: Robert, Brandon, Jaime (even without changing the spelling) and so forth. There are others which can be made normal names but you just have to change one letter, like Kevan, Petyr, and so on - in which case you'd still know where the name came from, and maybe you could tell the child one day, but he wouldn't have to put up with all the nonsense that having an overtly silly name entails. You could call the child Jonathan and shorten to Jon, although bear in mind he'll have to spell that for everyone he meets (my dad, a Jon(athan) has to put up with that).

In any case, a lot of the unusual spellings are probably "in-world" inconsistencies from lack of universal writing and dictionaries. Shakespeare spelled his name about five different ways. Kevin/Kevan, Peter/Petyr, Eddard/Edward are basically the same names. There's no shame in streamlining the spelling to make a name look less silly. There is shame in having a silly name.

If you really must give your child an obviously ASoIaF name, I'd beg you to make it a middle name rather than a first name.

But I don't think Lyanna is an overly recognizable pop culture name. Still trying to sell my wife on it, she watches the HBO show, and she doesn't recognize.

Besides, Lyanna doesn't sound too exotic, and it's sort of a "modular" - name

A person named Lyanna can choose to go by :

"Leah" (Lee-uh)

"Leigh" (Lee)

Leeann

Ann

Anna (pronounced either "anna" or ahn-uh)

Besides the HBO show is likely to either get cancelled or out-pace the book series, thus leaving "Lyanna" as only the vaguest of footnotes in the series - even most HBO viewers of the show (about 2% of the US population) won't likely recognize it

- plus, not a 'weird' sounding name

- no obvious "make fun of the name" version (some people are named Dorcus, for R'hollor's sake)

- multiple short form choices.

I'm gonna go for it.

I hear people suggesting Theon, which might by itself might be a pretty good name, but I wouldn't even go there -

It looks like the show is going to go far enough that people are going to know what happens to Theon, so I wouldn't give that name to my dog, unless I didn't particularly like the dog.

Most likely not. Though many names are common enough, that it could happen (but I prefer slightly uncommon names to something all over the place like, Robert). Naming a child with a common but altered name (like Joffery instead of Jeffery), just seems cruel (since they will be teased).

Sansa and Shireen are the only rarer names I like, can think of at this moment, and do not have a family member with a similar name. They're both pretty.

One of my sister's friends is currently arguing with her boyfriend/husband about whether they should name their child after:

Arya from Game of Thrones

or

Aria from Pretty Little Liars

After self-absorbed Aria who bangs her school teacher and has the worst fashion taste ever? Please tell them to go for Arya or, if they feel the need for a PPL name, at least go for awesome Spencer :-)

I have the additional naming problem that I am German so most Asoiaf and English names sound pretty alien in German. Plus using English names (in combination with German surnames) is often viewed as rather tacky and often as a sign for a lack of education. See names like Vivian Müllermeier, Tyler Schmid etc.

But one name I can see nevertheless working in German is Elia. There are no pronounciation problems there and the name does not have such an "imported" feel. Plus, it reads like a short form of my grandma´s name.

Forget naming my kid Beric, I would change my name to Beric Dondarrion. Coolest name of all time.

GRRM mentioned in an interview that a fan had written to him and had told him that she had named her daughter Daenerys. (I'd be leery about naming my kids after any ASOIAF characters until the series is over with, though, especially given the track some of them seem to be on.)

I went to school with someone who had the legal name Princess Mercedes. A few Arya's here and there will sound beautiful in comparison. Be prepared for a boatload of Arya's starting school in the next few years though, it will be less original and special then.

Mercedes is a real name (it's Spanish). Princess... not so much.

I'm opposed to stupid names in general, mind. Referential names are just a particular sub-category of that.

Archived