What are you listening to V

Sci-2

I am deeply saddened by the lack of mention of Half Light I and Half Light II (No Celebration). The first part has to be one of the most mellifluous songs I’ve ever heard (for something non-classical). I love the way the ending bleeds into the second part which has a much more ecstatic yet yearnful feel to it. I love the orchestralness Arcade Fire exhibits by including all kinds of different instruments in their music. It’s a real pleasure to hear.

Coincidentally, I'm currently listening to Half Light II. It's a good song, as is just about everything else on that album (I'm not too keen on Month of May, it's not bad, but doesn't seem quite up to the same standard). I think Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains), City With No Children and We Used To Wait are my favourites on that album.

Bombay Bicycle Club are good.

Spent this morning listening to Art Brut's era defining* debut, 'Bang Bang Rock & Roll'.

is the most positive, hope filled mission statement for a band ever. They are far and away better than the humourless chancers which make up the majority of other guitar bands from around that time. Art Brut are on our side.

*If the era you're defining is early 2000's London rock and roll.

Never got the love for Funeral honestly. Good album with some great songs, but The Suburbs is just great song after great song. Okay, I still don't like "Rococo" much and it's maybe a bit too long, could use a bit of trimming, but I can't think of anything that matches the brilliance of Sprawl II, Half-Light II, City With No Children, or The Suburbs on the other albums. I could probably list off half the album actually. Just great stuff.

I scoffed at the Arcade Fire before The Suburbs. I didn't think much of them but it made me a fan.

This thread has inspired me to listen to The Suburbs again. It's been a while, I forgot just how good this album is. Easily my favorite Arcade Fire album.

We dun good, folks. We dun good.

. I discovered Diablo Swing Orchestra on a website, jamendo.com, from which you can download whole albums by independent artists. I'm not a huge fan of metal, but this band is sick, dawg. They're so fucking weird. Their style combines opera, metal, and swing. They are so fun, but it takes an open mind to like them.

. I discovered Diablo Swing Orchestra on a website, jamendo.com, from which you can download whole albums by independent artists. I'm not a huge fan of metal, but this band is sick, dawg. They're so fucking weird. Their style combines opera, metal, and swing. They are so fun, but it takes an open mind to like them.

Diablo Swing Orchestra is great. I love all three of their albums. :thumbsup:

One more track from The Suburbs that must be mentioned is

That one always seems to slip by me whenever I listen to the album.

As for Funeral, I don't know if I've ever loved two opening tracks as much as Tunnels and Laika.

Yeah, those two opening tracks are really good. Probably my favorites on the album.

I had a listen of Funeral a couple of weeks ago, and all the while I was thinking about how it's undubitably one of the best albums of the 2000s but I guess there's always a matter of taste ;). I don't dislike any of the songs and it has so many glorious moments... If it had gone out when I was a teenager, I think I would have lived with this album. As it is it did take me some time (a couple of years actually) to get into it, but I still love it very much.

I have to say that neither Neon Bible nor The Suburbs ever grabbed me as much. I still really like songs from both (Antichrist Television Blues, No Cars Go, Black Wave/Bad Vibrations ; City with no Children, Half Light 1, Sprawl II...) but as albums, I find them lacking...

Blackmore's Night -

Usually not really my style, but it popped up on a pandora station and its just so damn catchy; especially after it gets going.

ETA: And yes, that's Ritchie Blackmore; quite a change from Deep Purple.

Diablo Swing Orchestra is great. I love all three of their albums. :thumbsup:

You seem to be a worthy human. I've never come across anyone who knows this group. Awesome!

One more track from The Suburbs that must be mentioned is

As for Funeral, I don't know if I've ever loved two opening tracks as much as Tunnels and Laika.

Power Out and Lies are also tracks that melt a monkey brain to goo.

You also forgot to mention “The Suburbs (continued)” and “Wasted Hours (A Life that We Can Live)”. Get it together, Frisky. Being a goo-brained monkey is not an excuse. (By the way, the more I think about the title “Frisky Trisky”, the more I giggle)

“Tunnels” and “Laika” are really beautiful opening songs, but I think my favorite song from Funeral is “

”. I like the contrast between the lyrics and the air of the song. The notes are sweet and naïve, but the lyrics are haunting. Plagued with despair. I like that about half of the lyrics are in French. I think it adds to the esoteric nature of the song. It’s personal and heartbreaking. I keep thinking of that Tolstoy quote that goes, “Music is the shorthand of emotion.” I think Arcade Fire has a very unique way of infusing their music with dichotomous sentiments. Favorite part of lyrics: Soon we will reclaim the earth/ All the tears and all the bodies/ Bring about our second birth

Oh Cracker, Where art thou?

It's David Lowry and Johnny Hickman from Cracker, and then Leftover Salmon for a band, doing bluegrassy cover of Cracker songs. Highlights would have to be "Eurotrash Girl" "Get of this" "Sweet Potato" and "Lonesome Johnny Blues."

For fans of Leftover Salmon or Cracker this is a hidden gem recorded in 2003.

-----------------------------------------------------------

While I was eating lunch today I found this sick album inside an Alice in Chains cd case in my truck, and hadn't listened to it in awhile. I must be crazy because it's frickin' awesome.

Blackboard Jungle Dub

Lee Perry and the Upsetters

Classic Perry record. Some of the sounds on here are other worldly and unreal and this record is basically a template for all dub. I bought this on vinyl a while ago and wanted to listen to it raw but my needle broke last week. To any reggae / upsetters fan not familiar with this album: an absolute must listen to experience.

Archived