Maurice Druon's "Accursed Kings" series to be reprinted

Calibandar

I was just looking at the Harper Voyager listings for the next few months and saw that they intend to publish an English translation of the quite legendary Accursed Kings series by Maurie Druon. As some may know, GRRM is a huge fan of this series. I believe some here at the forum have also read these books many years ago.

First book is supposed to come out in January:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Accursed-Kings-Iron-King/dp/0007491255/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348052299&sr=1-11

Martin blurbed this reprint:

'Iron kings and strangled queens, battles and betrayals, lies and lust, the curse of the Templars, the doom of a great dynasty - and all of it (well, most of it) straight from the pages of history, and believe me, the Starks and the Lannisters have nothing on the Capets and Plantagenets. Whether you are a history buff or a fantasy fan, Druon's epic will keep you turning pages. This was the original game of thrones' - George R.R. Martin

http://www.harpercollins.co.uk/Titles/80024/the-iron-king-maurice-druon-9780007491254

• 2 weeks later...

It's been done two times for the French TV and both are very good adaptations. And they are both available in dvd on amazon.fr.

I know, I know, but I thought they were so-so... Well the old one was okay I guess but the new one was really not my cup of tea

• 3 months later...

The first is even better than the second but I saw it when it first aired on tv 40 years ago and loved it. So I might be a little bit biased.

Is it the one with utterly ridiculous costumes and a very brief appearance of Depardieu? Because I just couldn't get over the silliness and complete inappropriatness of the costumes... I guess I should give it another chance...

I love the book series, BTW, even though Druon did mix up some historical facts.

I also have it on good authority that the books are so engrossing that they can help one cope with an extremely painful broken hip :eek: .

Is it the one with utterly ridiculous costumes and a very brief appearance of Depardieu? Because I just couldn't get over the silliness and complete inappropriatness of the costumes... I guess I should give it another chance...

No, the Depardieu family (they were all on it) took part in Dayan's version. The more recent one.

I don't really see what you mean by ridiculous costumes, but I'm not an expert on that.

• 2 months later...

I just finished The Iron King. An interesting read. There's a very short introduction by George R. R. Martin, in which he pulls out the old marketing-speak: "If you like A Song of Ice and Fire, you will love The Accursed Kings." Well, it depends. If you like A Song of Ice and Fire for its wealth of detail, its comparatively subtle themes, or the effects of its use of multiple limited POVs, you won't find much to admire in The Iron King, which is third-person omniscient, heavy on direct characterization, flat statement of theme, and undigested exposition, and offers only the most basic scene-setting (though what there is sometimes pretty evocative). In places Druon's style is so spare it barely feels like a fully-fledged novel. But if what you like about A Song of Ice and Fire is the venomous characters, the political intrigue, the unbelievable cruelty, then The Iron King has that in spades, and even manages, as Martin's work does, to make some of its nastiest characters halfway sympathetic. The ending is especially effective in its starkness. I'm looking forward to the subsequent volumes, though they're much closer to the "guilty pleasure" end of the spectrum than A Song of Ice and Fire, or what I've read of Dorothy Dunnett.

Archived