Titancon Reports

Fragile Bird

Okay so I possibly need some sort of punishment for being so damn late to this but what can I say RL hit me and i'm just getting a chance to breathe.

Thank you to all who made it such a wonderful con; Lisa for being the best roomie, Jackie for being an awesome person, Pod for looking after my camera (I did get it back!), Phil for being Phil and everybody else.

I'm also very grateful that those on coach one enjoyed (or put up with) my random announcements (definitely wasn't in my job description) - Personally I thought our singing was amazing!

Love and Hugs to all and I hope to see you next year

Lis x

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TitanCon 2013

Despite the situation with the flag protests in Belfast over recent weeks the TitanCon Committee have been putting plans into place for TitanCon 2013 and we wholeheartedly still believe in putting on another great convention this year. However, we cannot ignore the uncertainty of current events and therefore have decided to delay ticket sales until the end of February.

We will be hoping that a resolution will be reached in the coming weeks which will facilitate a peaceful end to protests and a return to business as usual in Belfast. Towards the end of February the TitanCon committee will make a final decision about whether to go ahead with the convention or not depending on the situation. We most definitely do not want to cancel but we cannot rule out the possibility that we may have no other choice.

We want to make it clear to everyone that the situation in Belfast right now is not dangerous but it is disruptive.

At this time we are not financially committed, we have not paid any non-refundable deposits. We are in a position to make the financial commitment necessary to stage TitanCon if we judge it to be worth the risk to ourselves and the reputation of the convention. If and when the time comes that we do put our money down on a deposit and begin accepting ticket sales then this committee pledges to you that we will be 100% committed and we'll do everything we possibly can to run an enjoyable and successful TitanCon on Saturday 14 September 2013.

Yes this means that if we do go ahead then we will be one weekend earlier than the previous two years. The reason for this change is to avoid a clash with the Emmy Award Ceremony which will allow us to maximise our potential to bring you more Game of Thrones guests.

Please be patient with us over the next month. This is not an easy or simple decision. We will continue to make plans during this time as if we are going ahead so that we are all ready to go at the end of February. We have every hope that this is what happens. Our decision will be communicated clearly and fully as soon as we are ready to make it. Thank you.

A longer statement with more detail about this decision is available on our TitanCon 2013 page.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: Sorry folks, please bear with us a little longer while we try to resolve some issues with financial viability. The flag protests are still ongoing but thankfully have now become a once a week peaceful protest outside Belfast City Hall. The problem we now face is that we are concerned TitanCon may not receive a funding grant from the Northern Ireland Arts Council. In 2011 we received funding of £4000 with a £3400 grant last year. This funding has been essential to our success and it is difficult to see how we can run a successful event this year without it.

We are putting plans into place to ensure we can continue TitanCon in the long term, however, those plans will take several months to come to fruition and will be eligible for 2014 onwards.

There is still a slim hope that we may receive some support from the Arts Council but it will take another month or so for that decision to come through. In the meantime we are trying to find a workable solution for this year including looking into potential alternative arrangements, perhaps a smaller convention, possibly at another venue or something quite different to what we've run the last two years. But at this stage we cannot rule out cancelling plans for 2013 altogether in order to focus our attention on coming back strong in 2014.

We apologise for the uncertainty but we hope you will continue to remain patient and understanding. Your support means everything to us. We don't want to let you guys down and we want TitanCon to be the convention the fans deserve. Thank you.

OK folks, hypothetical question: if we were to change the date from 14 September to the week before on 7 September 2013 would that be acceptable if it meant a solution that makes TitanCon 2013 financially viable?

Please don't take that as confirmation that we are changing the date. It is an option we are exploring and I'd just like some feedback on the idea.

OK folks, hypothetical question: if we were to change the date from 14 September to the week before on 7 September 2013 would that be acceptable if it meant a solution that makes TitanCon 2013 financially viable?

Please don't take that as confirmation that we are changing the date. It is an option we are exploring and I'd just like some feedback on the idea.

Perhaps. I have holidays then.

Archived