More Middle East Fun

You guys are forgetting that the IAF has the best trained Airforce in the world and access to the latest military hardware. Plus we took out the iraqi nuclear silo on the 80's. Go Bibi Go!

That was 30 years ago . Aren't the arab states catching up to the IAF on tech and training?

You guys are forgetting that the IAF has the best trained Airforce in the world and access to the latest military hardware. Plus we took out the iraqi nuclear silo on the 80's. Go Bibi Go!

The Iraqi's nuclear program wasn't buried in the ground and spread over dozens of facilities. Iran's is.

As far as I know Iran still relies on Soviet junk from the 80's such as Migs 23 and a single squadron of Mig 29. Israel has up-to-date F16's and F15's.

Not exactly. They bought some Mig-29s, and got an assortment of Soviet planes when the Iraqi airforce defected wholesale during the Gulf War, but they still rely heavily on their pre-1979 American airframes: F4s, F5s and F14s etc.

This is immaterial as the IRIAF is not a major obstacle to any strike: what kills it for the Israelis is the limitations of their equipment - they don't have the range of bunker-busting and deep penetration warheads needed for sites like Fordo - their smaller airforce, which means shorter hit list and the limited time over target afforded by the logistics of having to fly over Iraq.

Concerning money: You cannot simply change the rules about the subsidies in this case. Because you only have three options: You could either give poor countries like Bulgaria less, because they have to share with 78 millions Turks, or alternatively the rich countries have to pay more, considerably more, since Turkey is large and poor, or as a third option you have to discriminate against Turkey, telling them that they can become a member but without the subsidy-privileges other countries have. That, of course, would be unacceptable for the Turks.

It's obvious they would get a lower rate of subsidies than current EU countries. This is what already happened with the Eastern European countries.

On the other hand, even at a lower rate, this would be a massive amount of money, that obviously would partly be diverted from somewhere else. Namely, from subsidies to current EU countries.

This is also what happened in the last decade, and we can all see the effects of the decreased subsidies to Southern Europe on their economies.

Having Turkey joining the EU now would probably (nearly) bankrupt half a dozen more countries in the Union.

This is immaterial as the IRIAF is not a major obstacle to any strike: what kills it for the Israelis is the limitations of their equipment - they don't have the range of bunker-busting and deep penetration warheads needed for sites like Fordo - their smaller airforce, which means shorter hit list and the limited time over target afforded by the logistics of having to fly over Iraq.

Im fairly sure that as far as military technology goes, Israel is top-notch. Jews are very smart and crafty people, and a lot of the USAF avionics system was developed by Israeli engineers.

Sorry for the double post, but for those of you who enjoy conspiracy theories, here is a nice segment from Alex Jones shows in which he explains the assassination of the lybian ambassador was an inside job and that there is currently a huge US/UK/Israel task force ready to go into Iran, as soon as the matter of the U.S election is settled:

He also claims that there is a split on the US high command, one faction which wants to maintain peace and is head by General David Petraeus, and another which wants to brew war and is head by Paul Wolfwitz, who apparently still holds a lot of strings on U.S intelligence.

Im fairly sure that as far as military technology goes, Israel is top-notch. Jews are very smart and crafty people, and a lot of the USAF avionics system was developed by Israeli engineers.

The fuck?

I have no idea if this is sarcasm or racism. It could be used as a perfect example of both.

Fuck.

Anyway, I disagree with the bit about the best military technology. America, hands down, has the best military technology. Israel's advantage is one of pure experience. The average Israeli combatant will have much more field experience than his counterpart in almost any army, and that is irreplaceable.

That said, if Israel tries to attack Iran on its own, and doesn't get help at any stage, it will lose. There is no substitute for sheer firepower and size. Israel proved that in Cast Lead. Unless there is a US task force ready to join forces with Israel, any Israeli attack on Iran is doomed to failure.

The average Israeli combatant will have much more field experience than his counterpart in almost any army, and that is irreplaceable.

While agreeing with the rest of the post, I don't think this is true after a decade of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The chances of UK involvement in any attack while the situation is as it is are substantially less than zero.

Surely that particular probability strongly depends on whether Iran can muster a ballistic attack on the UK in approximately 45 minutes?

While agreeing with the rest of the post, I don't think this is true after a decade of fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I said "Almost" any other army, but I accept your point as valid and concede mine.

Archived