More Middle East Fun

Reports are that this is mortars being fired from the Syrian side so yes it's possible that it's the rebels trying to draw Turkey into the fray.

It's probably rogue elements in the Syrian Army that have not officially defected to the rebels, hence the Syrian governments reluctance to denounce it as a rebel attack.

Assad would have to be insane - gibberingly, droolingly insane - to order an unprovoked attack on Turkey.

Whether it's "sleeper" rebel cells within the Syrian army, irate Alawites who wants Assad replaced by a more gung-ho leadership, some drunk Syrian officer deciding it's time to give the Turks a taste of war, or something else completely - impossible to say. But this was not ordered by Bashar, that much is certain.

It's probably rogue elements in the Syrian Army that have not officially defected to the rebels, hence the Syrian governments reluctance to denounce it as a rebel attack.

Assad would have to be insane - gibberingly, droolingly insane - to order an unprovoked attack on Turkey.

Whether it's "sleeper" rebel cells within the Syrian army, irate Alawites who wants Assad replaced by a more gung-ho leadership, some drunk Syrian officer deciding it's time to give the Turks a taste of war, or something else completely - impossible to say. But this was not ordered by Bashar, that much is certain.

You're probably right. Might well be a front line unit that's pissed at the fact that the Turks are arming the rebels and providing a safe haven for them when they need it.

But Assad certainly doesn't want Turkey any more involved than they already are.

The Syrian campaign is but a step towards the true target: Iran. Turkey is trying to bait Syria into a conflict, so they can call NATO in. Open your eyes.

A step toward Iran for who because Turkey does not want a war with Iran also the "Syrian campaign" is a homegrown rebellion born out of tyranny and minority rule, unless of course you believe that font of truth and good governance Bashar Al-Assad.

A step toward Iran for who because Turkey does not want a war with Iran also the "Syrian campaign" is a homegrown rebellion born out of tyranny and minority rule, unless of course you believe that font of truth and good governance Bashar Al-Assad.

The problem is that these popular "arab spring" type of movements eventualy get hijacked by the CIA, as happened in Lybia. Egypt is a different story, I could be wrong but I belive their new administration will antagonize the west.

I'll admit, Pakistan is not in the Middle East, but I don't know where else to put this story. Very sad.

Malala Yousafzai, a 14-year old Pakistani activist who won international acclaim for her work promoting peace, and two other young girls were shot and seriously injured Tuesday, police and hospital officials said.

Malala was nominated for the International Children's Peace Prize in 2011 for a blog she wrote under a pseudonym for the BBC. She also won the National Peace Prize in Pakistan, honored with a school named after her, and quickly became an outspoken critic of the Taliban in Pakistan and public advocate for peace.

In it, she chronicled life in the Swat Valley under the brutal and oppressive rule of the local faction of the Pakistani Taliban, who carried out public floggings, hung dead bodies in the streets, and banned education for girls.

In early 2011, the militants had added Malala to their hit list. "We wanted to kill her as she was pro-West, she was speaking against Taliban and more important she was calling President Obama as her ideal.

Wars are always ugly, but when it crosses the line to sending soldiers to assassinate children on their way home from school...it seems to have crossed some unacceptable threshold of decency. Things are very bad in Pakistan.

Heard this on the radio not long ago. So very cruel.

I will say the kid has courage and hopefully she will be ok.

In Syrian news, it seems Turkey is sending more fighter jets to the border. How lovely.

"This Land Is My Land" - an animated history of Palestine:

http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2012/10/this-land-is-my-land-animated-history.html

I have a few minor detail niggles like the IDF doesn't use AK-47s, and the overall artist message is...troubling. However, one can't help but notice that one group that just keeps popping up throughout history, right?

http://www.blameiton...ed-history.html

I have a few minor detail niggles like the IDF doesn't use AK-47s, and the overall artist message is...troubling. However, one can't help but notice that one group that just keeps popping up throughout history, right?

The overall message is "troubling" because it's true. For God's sake, it's a hunk of desert with cultural baggage and maybe a fifth of the world's oil...

Greed and God.

http://www.blameiton...ed-history.html

I've been to Jerusalem and it sucks ass. No idea why God would give an insignificant strip of desert to the "chosen" people, whoever that might be.

Seems the US has sent a "task force" to Lebanon while Turkey ratchets up the rhetoric. Perhaps a little overreacting on my part but I'm starting to get a funny feeling about this.

Dude, Jordan.

Also doubt Bashar is quivering in his boots about a small contingent of military advisors.

Dude, Jordan.

Also doubt Bashar is quivering in his boots about a small contingent of military advisors.

Jordan it is. Heh.

I would venture to guess that it makes him a lot more nervous than you would think. His only hope for survival is if the West stays out of it. Having US advisors next door assessing the situation is gonna make him very uncomfortable. Especially with what is going on with Turkey.

Jordan it is. Heh.

I would venture to guess that it makes him a lot more nervous than you would think. His only hope for survival is if the West stays out of it. Having US advisors next door assessing the situation is gonna make him very uncomfortable. Especially with what is going on with Turkey.

I think it's safe to say the US not going to launch offensives from Jordan, and to the extent that this mission will provide support to rebels from the Jordanian side of the border that is simply assisting a process that was already happening. To me this looks like it has more to do with US concerns about Jordan than anything else.

Archived