Lyanna Stark is still alive and I can prove it! (Almost)

thewingedwolf

I think it's a stretch, but it could be.

I think it's just more plausible that Lyanna is dead and that the "promise" that Ned had to make was to keep Jon's true father a secret from Robert.

This theory is so ludicrous that someone joined the forum just to post that it's unlikely. Lol

1. When in the crypts of Winterfell, Barbery Riswell tells Theon Greyjoy that Ned brought back the bones of Lyanna, not the body but the bones, therefore, no one saw the body of Lyanna at Winterfell.

Therefore she must be alive?

2. Robert says that the stone mason who made the statue of Lyanna in the crypts does not capture her beauty

Robert hadn't seen Lyanna for about 16 years. He would have largely forgotten what her face precisely looked like. Besides, he's in a dark room and it's a stone statue so I think the stone mason can be forgiven. How is this evidence that she's alive anyway?

3. Again when in the crypts of Winterfell Barbery Riswell mentions that its unusual to have three tombs joined together and to have a female in the crypts, that suggests Ned really did not want anyone going to look in there

I don't see how this is evidence and no it doesn't suggest that. Even if it did it wouldn't mean that Lyanna lives.

4. When Robb calls his banners, Howland Reed does not send any of his Crannogmen to support his cause (only his kids to plead fealty) but he defends the Crag against all comers, suggesting he is defending something of his importance at Greywater Watch

Like his home? Or the whole neck which is pretty important? Crannogmen use guerrilla warfare and do not generally fight in conventional battles.

5. Howland Reed has not left Greywater Watch since the ToJ again suggesting he is guarding something very valuable.

See above.

6. Ned's guilt stems from what happened that day, as he always felt like he betrayed his friend Robert and that is part of the reason why he accepted to be the Hand of the King, he wanted to make amends for what he did.

Um...no. If this was part of the reason then he would have thought about her at least once in his POV (not a flashback).

I honestly see no reason, plot-wise, for Lyanna to be alive. If this theory is true, then R+L=J can't be because Jon would have stayed with Lyanna.

Therefore she must be alive?

Robert hadn't seen Lyanna for about 16 years. He would have largely forgotten what her face precisely looked like. Besides, he's in a dark room and it's a stone statue so I think the stone mason can be forgiven. How is this evidence that she's alive anyway?

I don't see how this is evidence and no it doesn't suggest that. Even if it did it wouldn't mean that Lyanna lives.

Like his home? Or the whole neck which is pretty important? Crannogmen use guerrilla warfare and do not generally fight in conventional battles.

See above.

Um...no. If this was part of the reason then he would have thought about her at least once in his POV (not a flashback).

I honestly see no reason, plot-wise, for Lyanna to be alive. If this theory is true, then R+L=J can't be because Jon would have stayed with Lyanna.

Just like I said....shooting from the hip. Ok i don't know why this theory is annoying me so much, I'm going to visit a different thread so I can settle down, lol

Just to clarify a point: all Starks get buried in the crypts, but only the Lords/Kings usually get statues made.

Anyway, anytime Ned thinks about Lyanna it is with a mixture of sadness and guilt (and plenty of blood/dying imagery). It's some powerful thoughts, especially once you realize R+L=J. It's all ruined if "nope, Lyanna's perfectly fine." And look at the full quote:

He could hear her still at times. Promise me, she had cried, in a room that smelled of blood and roses. Promise me, Ned. The fever had taken her strength and her voice had been faint as a whisper, but when he gave her his word, the fear had gone out of his sister’s eyes. Ned remembered the way she had smiled then, how tightly her fingers had clutched his as she gave up her hold on life, the rose petals spilling from her palm, dead and black. After that he remembered nothing. They had found him still holding her body, silent with grief. The little crannogman, Howland Reed, had taken her hand from his. Ned could recall none of it.

It's as clear as day. Lyanna makes Ned promise, he does, she dies, and he keeps holding her until Howland comes which he can't remember because of his grief. Instead, what, he blacked out because he had too much Dornish wine?

I think it would be really awesome but I'm not willing to subscribe to it just yet. For one, sending back just the bones is a common thing, I think the Silent Sisters prepare for it all the time.

Also, I don't think the promise has to do with not bringing her to Robert. Ned thinks he's kept the promise ever since then, but when he's in the Black Cells he thinks it's been broken. Maybe he thinks because of his inaction he brought Robert to her in the afterlife, but I'm not so sure.

I think I'll file this in my brain next to 'Hot Pie is AA'.

There would be no point in Lyanna being alive. It would only destroy the tragedy of past actions on current characters in future events.

1. When in the crypts of Winterfell, Barbery Riswell tells Theon Greyjoy that Ned brought back the bones of Lyanna, not the body but the bones, therefore, no one saw the body of Lyanna at Winterfell.

Okay, but that's also pretty common practice, putting into question most deaths, including Ned's. (I mean in isolation.)

2. Robert says that the stone mason who made the statue of Lyanna in the crypts does not capture her beauty

I'm not sure what point you're making here. If they were trying to fake it out, why wouldn't they try to make it look authentic. That someone who loved or romanticized her feels, several decades on, thhat her beauty isn't accurately portrayed in stone is imo hardly surprising. But really I don't get how this fits into any theory. Is the supposition that the mason was doing a crime victim recreation with the skull, and the 'not quite' deviation in Robert's opinion shows it was the wrong skull?

3. Again when in the crypts of Winterfell Barbery Riswell mentions that its unusual to have three tombs joined together and to have a female in the crypts, that suggests Ned really did not want anyone going to look in there

What wouldn't they find? It's bones. There's no DNA.

4. When Robb calls his banners, Howland Reed does not send any of his Crannogmen to support his cause (only his kids to plead fealty) but he defends the Crag against all comers, suggesting he is defending something of his importance at Greywater Watch

Like Moat Cailin?

5. Howland Reed has not left Greywater Watch since the ToJ again suggesting he is guarding something very valuable.

What's Leyton Hightower guarding?

6. Ned's guilt stems from what happened that day, as he always felt like he betrayed his friend Robert and that is part of the reason why he accepted to be the Hand of the King, he wanted to make amends for what he did.

This isn't support, it's more theory.

We have a POV character who wintessed her death, george martin is not a liar. He misleads his readers but he doesn't just flat out lie to them. For ned to have been lying to himself and in turn lying to the readers is extremely unlike martin. Lyanna stark still being alive is nothing like the undead characters still being alive because they all died and came back. So are you trying to say that lyanna died and came back from death? Or that she never died and was only faking like the supposed aegon? Neither seems likely and your no where near proving it. I'm Sorry to be blunt but it just doesn't fit the tragedy of lyanna and rhaegar's story. Plus you say she ran off with rhaegar. So does that mean he didn't die on the trident and that was all made up lies too? Cause by the time we get to the tower of joy rhaegar is feeding the crows. There is no evidence to a still breathing lyanna the bones and fan's wishes don't build facts. Only george and he hasn't given any indication of this.

howland doesn't send anyone from the crag to help Robb, and is hiding something at Greywater Watch - hard to send men from the crag when they are all the CotF and howland sends himself and Meera to Winterfell (ahem Jojen)

lyanna is dead - I thought Ned had his riff with Robert AFTER the ToJ scene - but nevertheless - oh and septa lemore is ashara dayne

clincher for me - i know the tv series and books are not the same thing - but take a look at episode 1.02 - when Ned and Jon are saying goodbye - that scene really nails the whole Jon's mom thing. watch sean bean's reaction to Jon asking about his mother. its priceless.

I find this debate quite interesting even though I'm pretty sure Lyanna is dead for real but I'd like to point out a contradiction in your first two arguments : If Ned only brought Lyanna's bones it's only logical the stone mason wasn't able to "capture her beauty" (assuming he didn't know her which is HIGHLY unlikely).

That's probably my favorite. Yup, I can imagine the conversation.

- But pay attention, master mason, not to make the statue too similar to my sister.

- Why, my lord?

- 'Cause that's how I protect a secret.

- Say what?

- Step 1: ensure that the statue doesn't capture Lyanna's beauty. Step 2: ???? Step 3: profit.

Archived