ASOIAF's worst father?

Stannis 4 Prez

Jamie. Having sex next to his dead son...not great parenting!

When Jaime had sex in the sept, I don't think it was next to his dead son. But if it was, his son was dead and wouldn't know.

Jaime didn't care, though, but he knew Joffrey was sadistic and on top of that, he was denied a relationship with his son.

I'd say Craster is worse for having sex with his daughters.

It's obvious Cersei didn't want him around. While it's clear he didn't want to be around Joffrey because Joffrey didn't like him, but the same wasn't necessarily true of Myrcella and Tommen. I don't believe he intentionally didn't pay attention to his children, it was more Cersei didn't want him to pay attention to them. And obviously because of Cersei he couldn't bring one of his bastards to court, like he was considering.

Eh, I could see Cersie making it harder, but it's parenting; if it's important enough to him, he does it.

Which is I think Robert's issue as a parent; it's hard, he doesn't like hard unless it's war. I can see him being the kind of father who's great when the kids are fun and checks out as soon as there's a problem. I think he's a father the way he's a king...he'll do the parts he enjoys and leave the rest to other people.

So I think he's a crap dad with or without Cersie, but I take your point, she probably makes it easier for him to check out, or at least makes him want to check out more often.

Edit: in fairness to Robert, my description of his fathering pattern would probably hold true for most medeival fathers.

Craster's in a league of his own.

South of the Wall, Tywin gets my medal. He fucked up his kids and the realm.

Randyll Tarly is only a bad father if you're a firstborn son and you turn out like Sam. In the world of Westeros I can empathize with his decision, though killing him would have been too harsh. He's probably a good father to Dickon and his daughters.

Someone on here told me Gregor Clegane had kids. There's your worst father in Westeros (besides Craster cause the dude fucks his own daughters arghhhhh).

Craster's in a league of his own.

South of the Wall, Tywin gets my medal. He fucked up his kids and the realm.

Randyll Tarly is only a bad father if you're a firstborn son and you turn out like Sam. In the world of Westeros I can empathize with his decision, though killing him would have been too harsh. He's probably a good father to Dickon and his daughters.

Someone on here told me Gregor Clegane had kids. There's your worst father in Westeros (besides Craster cause the dude fucks his own daughters arghhhhh).

Randyll Tarly yelled at his wife for singing to baby Dickon. Dickon is most likely "Ramsey Snow" of the south thanks to his dad. After all, Randyll and Roose are pretty similar.

Randyll Tarly yelled at his wife for singing to baby Dickon. Dickon is most likely "Ramsey Snow" of the south thanks to his dad. After all, Randyll and Roose are pretty similar.

WHAT? Randyll and Roose? Randyll and Roose are nothing, alike. Randyll is more like the GreatJon that he is like Roose. Randyll is more like Balon Greyjoy. Roose, is like Tywin or Euron.

Its between Balon Greyjoy and Ned Stark. Both put their families in the middle of war unnecesarily resulting in the destruction of their home, their lands its people and scattering their survining children to the wind.

Ned was one of the best fathers of the series.

And Robert wasn't great with Tommen and Myrcella because they weren't his kids and he probably didn't feel a connection with them.

Beyond the Wall...Craster, obviously.

In the 7 kingdoms...

I'm sticking to characters we know and its a tie between Randall Tarly and Roose Bolton.

Yes, I know Tywin was a manipulative prick and mistreated Tyrion and was willing to let him take the fall for the PW, but he did not actively plan Tyrion's death. Tyrion was placed in dangerous situations, but he was a seasoned man by age.

Tarly was plotting a hunting accident if Sam refused the NW and he was barely more than a boy. Roose Bolton actively continued to support Ramsay even after he murdered Roose's legitimate heir. He even assumes any heirs from Fat Walda will also be murdered by him. And he is resigned to this?

Second thought...Tarly and Tywin are comparable. Roose Bolton beats them both hands down as the worst father in Westeros.

Beyond the Wall...Craster, obviously.

In the 7 kingdoms...

I'm sticking to characters we know and its a tie between Randall Tarly and Roose Bolton.

Yes, I know Tywin was a manipulative prick and mistreated Tyrion and was willing to let him take the fall for the PW, but he did not actively plan Tyrion's death. Tyrion was placed in dangerous situations, but he was a seasoned man by age.

Tarly was plotting a hunting accident if Sam refused the NW and he was barely more than a boy. Roose Bolton actively continued to support Ramsay even after he murdered Roose's legitimate heir. He even assumes any heirs from Fat Walda will also be murdered by him. And he is resigned to this?

Second thought...Tarly and Tywin are comparable. Roose Bolton beats them both hands down as the worst father in Westeros.

I actually forgot all about Roose.. I don't know why but I think it's because I don't even consider him to be a father. So I can get on board with that. "...before you make me rue the day I raped your mother." What a Hallmark Father/Son moment.

Tywin, hands down; all his children have the worst daddy issues; he was too a great man, and his shadow still looms over them. The facts that all of them are quite clever, and still they can't get over them even after his death speaks volumes.he was not only positively horrid to Tyrion, but just look at his thwarted relationship with Cersei - who has clearly been daddy's girl, and is so ambitious because of him, and with Jaime - the male son his favour as his heir, and even as Lord Commander of the Kinsguard is treated like a looser. I always think the twincest on Cersei's part is due to the fact she sees in Jaime a sort of substitute for her father.

Second Mace Tyrell; who casts his sons in the lists too early, or in marriage to any King.

Wow.....have anyone mentioned the Leech Lord?

This guy raped one of his peasants and sired a bastard as a result. As a joke he sends the bastard a stinky sadist named reek to be his servant. The Leech Lord then proceeds to do nothing when his bastard murders his true born son. He also turn a blind eye when certain tales of his bastard's favorite sport, which seems to be hunting down peasant women, raping, and then killing them, began to circulate. And to top it off, he legitimized the bastard effectively sealing the fate for those unfortunate enough to live near the Dreadfort.

And then there's always, "Don't make me rue the day I raped your mother."

And while Craster may be the undisputed champion of worst father in Westeros.....surely the Leech Lord is in the top tier when it comes to worst fathers.......Stannis and Oberyn do not belong on this list...sorry.

Stannis. He never seems to spend time with his wife or daughter and instead hires a fool to accompany her.

Stannis' parents got Patchface in the hopes of making Stannis smile, but on their way back their ship sunk. The only survivor of that tragedy was Patchface, & can you imagine how seeing him would be like a constant reminder of his parent's death? And Stannis is putting up with him because of is daughter. Though I wish he'd be more affectionate & spend more time with Shireen too, he's definitely not the worst.

@OP: The worst for me is Craster, Tywin, Walder Frey (worst grandfather as well), and Balon.

Stannis' parents got Patchface in the hopes of making Stannis smile, but on their way back their ship sunk. The only survivor of that tragedy was Patchface, & can you imagine how seeing him would be like a constant reminder of his parent's death? And Stannis is putting up with him because of is daughter.

I don't see how that's a problem for Stannis.

His parents are probably just 2 more names on his list of people who haven't given him his due.

I don't see how that's a problem for Stannis.

His parents are probably just 2 more names on his list of people who haven't given him his due.

I have a lot of issues with Stannis - A LOT - but I think that's pretty harsh. It's clear that he was upset by his parents' death - he tells Davos that he can't believe in the gods or any god because of what happened to them.

Archived