Texas, er, US Politics

Datepalm

Shryke,

There was a sightly more pressing issue that justified the use of force last go round that is not present if there is a second try. Would the high cost of a reconquest be justifiable after the US defended the secession of the various soviet republics, the Yugoslav republics, and Kosovo?

Sure. Unless Texas in your mind constitutes some sort of persecuted ethnically-homogonous state or the like.

"We lost an election" is not grounds for secession.

Ashley Judd has started making noise about running to unseat Mitch McConnell in 2014

Would her celebrity status be enough to overcome Kentucky's rightwing lean and especially the Senate minority leader? It would be glorious if it happened, just to see McConnell bite the dust, but I have my serious doubts.

Al Franken was able to get elected. I would like to see McConnell lose his seat.

If you can't buy the election, or supress the vote, then just try to change the laws in the one place where the judges may be on your side. SCOTUS is revisiting the Voting Rights Act. They will keep trying to kill the

http://www.huffingto..._n_2103642.html

You guys are missing, in all of this hulabaloo about Texas, one person who has obviously seen the future. One that we should look to as an oracle.

Richard Morgan. In Black Man he called it with the Jesusland thing. Boom.

< Data from Goonies voice >

That's what I said, the Rim States.

< / Data >

Shryke,

Oh, it's grounds just not good grounds. That said if a supermajorty wants to leave why is US justified in using force to prevent them after pushing to allow secessions in other places?

Because it doesn't constitute good grounds, exactly as you said. It doesn't even constitute the same grounds as those other acts of secession the US was fine with.

There is no precedent here. Political butthurtedness has never been a viable ground for secession.

Horus,

Because the "conservative" majority on the court was so effective in overturning the ACA.

Ideally it won't see any traction, but it is important to note the racist cancer within the GOP spitting on freedom yet again.

The idea that I (who have only driven through) should be able to dictate to Texans (who live there) what political body they should be a part of is tyranny. Pretty much the definition of.

And the idea that Texans in favor of succession should be able to dictate to Texans not in favor of succession what political body they should be a part of is somehow less tyrannical? I'd fuckin' love to hear that one.

The idea that I (who have only driven through) should be able to dictate to Texans (who live there) what political body they should be a part of is tyranny. Pretty much the definition of.

So you're fine with the tyranny of the pro-secession Texans over those Texans who don't want to leave the U.S.A?

Yeah, I assume he got caught because that's the only way it makes sense as far as I can see. The problem is that news reports make it seem as if he blindsided the Obama administration with this. Maybe I read it wrong.

This was surprising! I bet that if the other woman is also an CIA employee then it might get even juicier.

Because it doesn't constitute good grounds, exactly as you said. It doesn't even constitute the same grounds as those other acts of secession the US was fine with.

There is no precedent here. Political butthurtedness has never been a viable ground for secession.

Why does it need to be a "good ground" as long as a large enough majority wants to?

Montenegro became independent after 55.5% voted for independence. Nobody seemed to claim that too many voted against independence.

So you're fine with the tyranny of the pro-secession Texans over those Texans who don't want to leave the U.S.A?

Dude, it's called "democracy".

Why does it need to be a "good ground" as long as a large enough majority wants to?

Montenegro became independent after 55.5% voted for independence. Nobody seemed to claim that too many voted against independence.

The problem is that the rightwing in the US always have a raging hard-on for alleged tyranny of the majority over the minority. Therefore even though (theoretically) more than half of Texans voted to split, they would be violating the rights of those Texans who don't want to split.

It's quite a double bind for them, but I'm sure they'll find someway to justify the hypocrisy eventually, lol.

Archived