Texas, er, US Politics

Datepalm

So Obama justifies 4 years of right-wing paranoia almost right away

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/10/obama-calls-for-renewal-of-assault-weapons-ban/#.UJ1dKp7H84k.twitter

“But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don’t belong on our streets. And so what I’m trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there’s an awful lot of violence and they’re not using AK-47s. They’re using cheap hand guns.”

I love it.

How do I buy stock in gun sales right now?

Open an account on line and buy shares of Smith & Wesson or Sturm, Ruger & Co., the two stocks that are the popular ones right now.

But they've had a three day run up already, HowdyPhilip made his money and is out. Or so he said.

I would suggest you buy some physical gold, like quarter ounce, half ounce or full ounce coins. Best stuff to have when the zombie apocalypse happens. And on January 1, 2013, Basel 3 changes gold to tier one assets from tier three. Meaning banks can count 100% of the value, up from 50%. Bound to be a jump in the price of gold next year.

Congress would have absolute assloads of grounds on which to tell Texas to fuck itself in the ear.

I think you miss the point. The legal and constitutional position is one thing. The political reality is something else. A modern democracy can't respond to a fair referendum in one of its territories with a clear majority in favour of secession by telling that territory to 'fuck itself'. If the people of that territory want to leave, forcing them to stay is simply not politically viable.

At it's most basic, unless the vote in unanimous by the residents of Texas, Texas is either voiding the citizenship or forcibly displacing millions of US citizens. And making off with billions in US property. And that's just for a start.

The property issue would be negotiated, the citizenship issue is one of those things that happen in a democracy. People would be free to emigrate or even choose US citizenship.

Seriously, Texas is never realistically going to vote for secession, but if it did, the best the US government could do would be to get a good settlement.

Shryke,

There was a sightly more pressing issue that justified the use of force last go round that is not present if there is a second try. Would the high cost of a reconquest be justifiable after the US defended the secession of the various soviet republics, the Yugoslav republics, and Kosovo?

Open an account on line and buy shares of Smith & Wesson or Sturm, Ruger & Co., the two stocks that are the popular ones right now.

But they've had a three day run up already, HowdyPhilip made his money and is out. Or so he said.

I would suggest you buy some physical gold, like quarter ounce, half ounce or full ounce coins. Best stuff to have when the zombie apocalypse happens. And on January 1, 2013, Basel 3 changes gold to tier one assets from tier three. Meaning banks can count 100% of the value, up from 50%. Bound to be a jump in the price of gold next year.

conversely, you could also buy a few assault rifles. The price goes up when you cant buy them from a dealer new anymore.

You guys are missing, in all of this hulabaloo about Texas, one person who has obviously seen the future. One that we should look to as an oracle.

Richard Morgan. In Black Man he called it with the Jesusland thing. Boom.

Ashley Judd has started making noise about running to unseat Mitch McConnell in 2014

Would her celebrity status be enough to overcome Kentucky's rightwing lean and especially the Senate minority leader? It would be glorious if it happened, just to see McConnell bite the dust, but I have my serious doubts.

So I think I have figured out the GoP answer to their electoral loss. They have decided that African Americans are a lost cause for their party for a few generations, and hispanics are their best hope. That's why Sean Hannity had 'an evolution' on his views on immigration. There is no way that muppet has any sort of evolution unless Ailes directed it.

Therefore, I conclude that the GoP is laying the groundwork for Operation Hispanic Outreach. Watch as a few more Fox anchors and Rush talk about hispanics and how deportation is so unfair yadda yadda yadda. See Marco Rubio get a higher profile in the next few weeks. Maybe even teh Bush kids and Jeb. There will be a few more cosmetic changes for sure, but we have to see if something happens to their DNA.

Obama threat gets Turlock woman fired, reported to Secret Service

TURLOCK -- A Turlock woman who posted inflammatory comments on Facebook about President Barack Obama has been fired from her job and reported to the U.S. Secret Service.

Turlock resident Denise Helms, 22, posted shortly after the president's re-election Tuesday on her Facebook page, "And another 4 years of the (n-----). Maybe he will get assassinated this term..!!"

http://www.modbee.co...oman-fired.html

My favorite bit of cognitive dissonance:

Helms has since deleted the post and posted again about the incident. It reads: "So apparently my post last night about Obama got onto Twitter and Fox 40 came and interviewed me cause apparently a lot of people in Sacramento think I'm crazy and racist. WOW is all I got to say!! I'm not racist and I'm not crazy. just simply stating my opinion.!!!"

I think you miss the point. The legal and constitutional position is one thing. The political reality is something else. A modern democracy can't respond to a fair referendum in one of its territories with a clear majority in favour of secession by telling that territory to 'fuck itself'. If the people of that territory want to leave, forcing them to stay is simply not politically viable.

The property issue would be negotiated, the citizenship issue is one of those things that happen in a democracy. People would be free to emigrate or even choose US citizenship.

Seriously, Texas is never realistically going to vote for secession, but if it did, the best the US government could do would be to get a good settlement.

Oh, I think they most certainly can. What's your definition of "clear majority" here? Cause 50%+1 doesn't come close to that on this sort of issue.

You say "If the people of that territory want to leave", who constitutes "the people" here. And what about the people who don't. If the US can't stop the "people who want to leave", the Republic of Texas sure as fuck can't stop "the people who want to stay".

And loss of citizenship is not one of those things that "just happens" in a democracy. Nor is the forcible displacement of your political opposition.

Even ignoring all this, all of that represents a viable political option towards telling Texas it can't leave.

Archived