Will there be an eighth book?

clydas

Reading the ASoIaF Wikipedia article I got the following:

After A Game of Thrones, A Clash of Kings, and A Storm of Swords, Martin originally intended to write three more books.[17] The fourth book, tentatively titled A Dance with Dragons, was to focus on Daenerys Targaryen's return to Westeros and the associated conflicts.[23] Martin wanted to set this story five years after A Storm of Swords so that the younger characters could grow older and the dragons grow larger.

Well, the fifth book is gone and Daenerys is not even near to Westeros. I know GRRM said (sorry, no precise quote at hand) that seven books would be elegant (seven kingdoms, seven gods, seven books), but I think he will not hesitate to add more books if he feels it is needed for the story to be properly told.

I devoutly hope that he does write eight or nine books. What do you think?

It will be the first time I believe in miracles... but meh GRRM has surprised us with what he has provided in the books, maybe he'll surprise us with thr news that he has immortality, or is in the possession of the Philosophers, or that he drank from the Holy Grail :P

He is one of the few authors on this planet who can surprise us....

I think it will be nine, and no less. No way GRRM can finish the story now in two books. You have the whole winter in front of you and Daenerys still ain't in Westeros. (I hope she'll never reach it, but sad to say, I think GRRM intends for her to do) We have too much to work out, there's too much going on at the moment. Unless he kills everyone off in the next book, I'll expect nothing less than nine books.

I think it will be nine, and no less. No way GRRM can finish the story now in two books. You have the whole winter in front of you and Daenerys still ain't in Westeros. (I hope she'll never reach it, but sad to say, I think GRRM intends for her to do) We have too much to work out, there's too much going on at the moment. Unless he kills everyone off in the next book, I'll expect nothing less than nine books.

Yah never know, GRRM might put in a mass cataclysmic disaster that could wipe off a character or two. It would be great for him to get it all wrapped up in seven, but yeah at most I can see it ending on nine...

My poor 74-year-old mother just wants to know how it ends. Part of me fears she never will. :(

My father is the same age and you have now planted the same unpleasant thought in me. :(

I have seen two things in flames: the books shall be more than seven and mods shall close this topic.

I think that the series will very likely reach eight books. The outcome will probably be better if there are eight books rather than seven. It seems that the current and possible future plot threads as well as the general situation at the end of book five would make resolution of the story in two more books a difficult task without fast forwarding or use of the choping block. So I think that an eighth book would be positive.

I suspect that Daenarys will land in Westeros around the start of the seventh book (although this is speculative).

He wants to end it at 7, but if things get out of hand...like they did with AFFC & ADWD, he might need to do more. Also it wouldn't count if he does something that takes place before (Robert's Rebellion?) of after (say something with Arya's grand children).

edit- because I didn't read back before I posted.

My father is the same age and you have now planted the same unpleasant thought in me. :(

I have seen two things in flames: the books shall be more than seven and mods shall close this topic.

There's no reason why we should, provided people stay away from speculation about GRRM's health, life choices or longevity, which would be frowned upon as rude.

Archived